Toonami Expands to 6 Hours; Sym-Bionic Titan and new Thundercats join lineup

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by Divinenega, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Divinenega

Divinenega New Member

Demarco's posted some MAJOR news on twitter

https://twitter.com/Clarknova1/status/250943163148161024

https://twitter.com/Clarknova1/status/250943471853125632

https://twitter.com/Clarknova1/status/250943722492133376

https://twitter.com/Clarknova1/status/250943906886328320
    This is pretty awesome. though it's kind of dissapointing Bebop is back so quickly...wonder what are the odds that if Thundercats and Titan do well here we may get more episodes of them...

Curious though, if there really are no repeats then that leaves at least one hour of content unaccounted for. It'll probably just be AS's catalog stuff but maybe we could end up with a couple of new shows.

EDIT: Now that I think about it...if one of the empty slots is a new show then it really could be Index. It would match up much better in terms of timing with the DVD release than if it replaced Sins.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2012
  2. Mohji

Mohji Member

3. Gold Guy

Gold Guy This ain't Pokemon!

I never got to watch Thundercats, so I'll check that out for sure.

4. ShamarDJ

ShamarDJ New Member

they picked up two of my favorite shows!!!!!! yes! this is what i wanted american cartoons and anime!

5. Divinenega

Divinenega New Member

Ah...kind of odd doubling up the last 3 hours like that. Would be cool if they could get some of their catalog stuff into those hours and give it a bit more variety. Maybe replace one of the FMA: B slots when it finishes it's run again.

6. Tony Pedretti

Tony Pedretti New Member

It's good to see Toonami go 6 hours, however I wish they let Cowboy Bebop rest a little longer eventhough I like the show, though it could be a placeholder. As for Thundercats and Sym-Bionic Titan, I have no problem with them being on the block, though I wish Thundercats gets a 3rd season.

7. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

So, at last Toonami 2.0 isn't anime-only anymore. Good. Titan was the best take on super robots anyone can find outside of Japan, and way up there overall at that.

Better here than nowhere for sure.But what a shame it is that it takes Adult Swim with the Toonami brand to reair two major action series that Cartoon Network used to run on Saturday mornings. New ThunderCats fits Toonami tradition but not so much Adult Swim, I have to say; it ultimately aimed too low and was generally too "safe" a show for that. Now then, let's see a home video release for Titan......

With their episode counts, an hour is a boon for FMA Brotherhood and Ghost in the Shell. For BeBop, a bit much. I think the second episode is the first thing to go when it's time to add something else and they need room.

8. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

Personally, I'm not that excited for Sym-Bionic Titan and Thundercats getting on the block. On one hand, it's nice that the block won't just be anime anymore and have a bit more diversity, but on the other hand, I wasn't a huge fan of either show, although I probably like Titan more than Thundercats and Titan probably fits on the block a bit better than the new Thundercats series. I was kind of looking forward to seeing the rest of Brotherhood again, but at least I might be able to get to sleep a bit earlier than I have on Saturday nights for awhile. I may rewatch Sym-Bionic Titan to see if I feel any different about it, but I doubt I'll watch Thundercats again. It's nice that they've expanded the block to six hours, but considering that the last few hours are double repeats, a part of me thinks that they made that decision in an attempt to increase ratings for the first half of the block now that there isn't another chance to see those episode in the early morning slots.

9. Dan's Revenge

Dan's Revenge Revengeful

Well, I'll say I'm surprised. Would be nice to own some kind of DVR or something. I'm still living in the 80s with... get this... A VCR!!!!!

I guess I'm okay with the double-ups, but I'd like to have seen "Durarara!!" in the lineup. (I've only ever seen one episode.. I think #20)

I'm fine with diversity (and non-anime), I'll have my first looks at Titan and T-Cats.

-- When I first heard 2-3am would be Titan and T-Cats, my first though was "No!" - only because I didn't start watching FMA:Brotherhood until Toonami returned, I'd say I caught it at a "decent" time.

10. BrianLeague

BrianLeague Active Member

It would've been better if they had aired Big O, Deadman Wonderland, Durarara!!, or InuYasha instead of doubling up everything in the last hour, but I guess they have their reasons. I'm kind of surprised that they wouldn't want to repeat Bleach, but I guess this will bring up ratings since there's only one chance to watch it now.

As for Sym-Bionic Titan and Thundercats returning, I am both surprised and excited at the same time. I loved Sym-Bionic Titan when it was on Cartoon Network, but I also hated how people on social networking sites, like YouTube, dismissed the show because of the scene where Kimmy "Booty-Quakes" it. Now that it's on Adult Swim, I hope more people will discover the show and possibly do well enough in ratings to get funded for another season.

11. RockmanDash

RockmanDash Retired

Doubling can have its major benefits of keeping viewers in for the entire hour than tuning them off to possible shows that they might not be interested in.

As for the new schedule, I'm really loving the balance of the shows being presented. :).

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2012
  12. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk is on a ridey-ride to hell

I've never seen the Hotel Transylvania director's last show on Cartoon Network, but I've heard decent things about it.

I am kind of annoyed, however, that they moved Ghost in the Shell back to the early morning slots when I was just starting to watch it again.

13. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

Looks to me like they're trying to get through FMAB and GITS faster.

They might have done this to test how the premieres will do without encores to take away potential viewers.

I was asking for ThunderCats and Sym-Bionic Titan to air on Toonami. If Megas XLR shows up later I will be in heaven.

I get the feeling the reason why Deadman didn't come back yet is they intend to air it earlier in the night when it comes back. Possibly when Casshern ends if they have nothing new to air then.

At any rate this is a very interesting development. Perhaps they're no long able to sell ad-space on total day ratings.

14. honorableninja

honorableninja Member

i find it a bit insulting honestly both shows were cancelled thundercats only recently so usless it means to new episodes i find this a waste of time even shows like batman beyond were new to the network when the aired on toonmai but these are simply repeats.

15. bla2772

bla2772 New Member

that dosnt make sense how is them getting great action shows insulting cn airs a samuria jack ep lets say ur saying no because it wont have new ep?

16. VSigma100

VSigma100 Still Gold

How exactly is this insulting? You never know this might end up doing good for the two series. Could possibly get them some new episodes ordered if they do well enough. You never know. I think it's great that these shows are on Toonami. Especially ThunderCats of all shows.

17. ShamarDJ

ShamarDJ New Member

honestly its more like an honour it gives both shows a shot at getting more episodes! in the past that has happened at least twice if memories serves right

18. Evo

Evo Agent of Providence

It's not insulting, its giving a great show and Thundercats, which I can't say because I haven't seen it, a fair chance. They were both cancelled prematurely and weren't even promoted after the first episode.

Interesting seeing as how Toonami itself got a second chance.

Sent from my iPod touch using toonzone

19. ShadowGUN

ShadowGUN YES!YES!YES!

Interesting. Hope both shows do well. Who know they probably can pull a Family Guy/Futurama resurrection on us.

20. zoombie

zoombie Active Member

I love Sym Bionic Titan, so it is a welcome addtion. I have the whole series on I Tunes, so it is not must watch for me.