Toonami 20th Anniversary: Battle of the Toonami Events!

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by wonderfly, Oct 30, 2017.

1. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

Toonami Event #9:

April Fools Day 2002 (aka "Joker's Day")!

Originally Aired: April 1st, 2002
    Synopsis: The Joker transmits a virus to the Absolution, causing Toonami to broadcast all episodes of "Batman: The Animated Series" for the entire broadcast (all Joker themed episodes). Not much to this, but it was just a delightful little departure from the normal DBZ-heavy Toonami schedule, from this era. Plus, the laugh of Mark Hamill's Joker, echoing throughout the Absolution, was kinda creepy....

Or wait, did you see "April Fools Day" and have another event in mind? Well, let's get right to that one...

Versus:

#21 wonderfly, Nov 2, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  2. wonderfly

Toonami Event #10:

April Fools 2012!!

Originally Aired: April 1st, 2012
    Synopsis: The event that brought back Toonami! Nearly 4 years had passed since Adult Swim cancelled the programming block...but nostalgia is a powerful thing, and when Adult Swim revealed a retro Toonami night was the focus of the "April Fools" event for the year, word about it went viral online. People stayed up the whole night to watch the entire block. The episodes that night (except for the usual new episode of "Bleach"), was a "greatest hits" variety show, featuring episodes of Dragon Ball Z, Gundam Wing, Tenchi Muyo, Outlaw Star, The Big O, Yu Yu Hakusho, Blue Submarine #6, Trigun, Astro Boy, and Gigantor.

Versus:

#22 wonderfly, Nov 2, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  3. wonderfly

Toonami Event #11:

Dragon Ball Chronicles!

Originally Aired: March 29th - April 16th, 2004
    Synopsis: The final blowout celebration of "weekday afternoon" Toonami, before the switch to Saturday evenings in 2004. It wasn't the first DBZ marathon. It wouldn't be the last. But this one was unique because they aired episodes of Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, AND Dragon Ball GT together each day. They also aired a couple of Pokemon movies on Toonami on Fridays during this time period, but those weren't technically part of the event (so the "Dragon Ball" material was more Monday through Thursday)...but still, this was a great sendoff to weekday afternoon Toonami, and a nice way to end that era.

Versus:

4. wonderfly

Toonami Event #12:

Midnight Run: Special Edition!!

Originally Aired: August 31st, 2001 (rebroadcast date: November 16th, 2001)
    Synopsis: The Midnight Run was always meant to be a little edgier than it's daytime Toonami counterpart. So here Toonami decided to air a night of animated music videos, from artists including Gorillaz, Kenna, and Daft Punk (from their project that would eventually become the "Interstella 5555" animated movie). It also featured some of Toonami's own music videos (including "Mad Rhetoric", "Dreams, and "Advanced Robotics"). This was the Midnight Run's final event before they had to start sharing late nights with "Adult Swim", which launched in September, 2001.

Who do you vote to win?!?

5. jaylop97

jaylop97 Well-Known Member

April Fools 2012, it was the block resurrected from the dead and came back to a better standing.

6. wonderfly

Some additional videos to accompany today's choices:

For the "Midnight Run Special Edition", here's the intro/bumpers from that night:

Here's a better quality copy of the intro from "April Fools Day" 2002 (and a better quality copy of the ending, as well):

7. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

Definitely April Fools 2012, as it set the stage for the Toonami revival. However, the Midnight Run Special Edition also gets props through the Gorillaz videos and the premiere of the "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger" video (which gave viewers a first hint of one of the major plot points of Interstella 5555).

8. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Even though I didn't actually see it, I'll go with the April Fools 2012 event as well. I remember hearing about it the next day and people were already eager to get the block back. I felt bad that I didn't watch it just because I didn't know if we would get Toonami back at that point. It's kind of funny when I think back on how I didn't think that Toonami could be revived and it was brought just a few months after this event.

I vaguely remember the promos for Joker's April Fools and for the Midnight Run Special Edition, but I don't know if I saw them. I might have seen at least the Joker's April Fools since I loved watching B:TAS back in the day, but I don't remember if I did or not, so I'll just go with the event that revived the block.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. wonderfly

Toonami Event #13:

A Month of Miyazaki!

Originally Aired: March 18th to April 8th, 2006
    Synopsis: Toonami went "high class" with this event. Possibly the pinnacle of the "Saturday Evening" Tooonami from 2004 to 2007, this was a month long event where they showed 4 movies from acclaimed anime director Hayao Miyazaki. The films included "Spirited Away", "Princess Mononoke", "Castle in the Sky", and "Nausica of the Valley of the Wind".

An observation: This may have been right around the time Toonami lost the right to use Peter Cullen for narrating promos/commercials (due to him joining the Transformers movie cast)...the narrator here just isn't as good as Cullen.

Versus:

10. wonderfly

Toonami Event #14:

Batman Vs. Superman!

Originally Aired: January 21-26th, 2002
    Synopsis: A week long event where Toonami played episodes of Batman: The Animated Series and Superman: The Animated Series. Toonami fans were urged to go online and vote for their favorite between the two. Toonami promos from this week really played up the rivalry between the heroes. No Ben Affleck needed here, for this match-up.

The online voting continued Monday thru Friday. Then, on Saturday, they held a Batman/Superman six-hour long marathon, revealing the winner of the votes (and playing 4 straight episodes of that hero's show in honor of the victory). The winner? Superman.

Versus:

11. wonderfly

Toonami Event #15:

The Intruder II!

Originally Aired: November 7th to December 19th, 2015
    Synopsis: 15 years later, and Toonami decided to revisit the original "Total Immersion Event". This was a true sequel that reintroduced TOM and SARA to conflicts in the galaxy (no longer could they get by with just broadcasting anime to Earth). This event did a lot to expand the mythos of the Toonami universe. Also, this was possibly the most action packed Toonami event to date.

Of course, there was also "Intruder III" (in 2016), but that title was apparently a red herring, with no relation to the events of Intruder I and II...and it just wasn't nearly as exciting of an event. But for 7 weeks in 2015, the crew of the Absolution was put through hell...

Versus:

12. wonderfly

Toonami Event #16:

Cartoon Network (Toonami) Summer 2005 Kick-Off Special!!

Originally Aired: May 25th, 2005
    Synopsis: What, you expected me to pick "Lockdown", or "Trapped in Hyperspace" for the final spot in the tournament? Those events (from 2001 and 2002) were pale derivatives of "The Intruder" from 2000. Nothing changed with those events (like the emergence of TOM 2 at the end of "The Intruder").

Instead, I prefer to spotlight this "event": A special hosted by the then hosts of "Fridays" (the live action version from 2003 to 2007), a portion of which was dedicated to Toonami. This was the time period where "Saturday Evening" Toonami was at the height of it's popularity, and the time period where "The City" era of Cartoon Network was in full swing and at it's best.

With this special, we got our first glimpses of Naruto (the eventual juggernaut of Saturday Toonami), Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo, IGPX, and One Piece. We also got to see clips from new episodes of "The Batman", Justice League Unlimited, and Teen Titans. TOM and Sara also had some great interaction with each other in this special. Yes, the line-up eventually soured in 2006 (paving the way for "TOM version 4", but everything about this special screamed "2005 is going to be awesome on Toonami"!

Who do you vote to win?!?

13. jaylop97

jaylop97 Well-Known Member

Batman Vs Superman those two shows were very big and how it was promoted was really good as well, truly a good battle.

14. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

All T.O.M.'s are fine to me.

For the third round, my vote goes to the Month of Miyazaki. Spirited Away was something to behold back in 2006.