Toonami 20th Anniversary: Battle of the Toonami Events!

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by wonderfly, Oct 30, 2017.

1. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

It's still 2017, so why not celebrate the 20th anniversary of Toonami just a bit longer!

For this week only, in celebration of the premiere of the new Toonami event "Countdown", I figured I would be appropriate to look back on previous Toonami events, and to find out what was the best of the Toonami events from over the years (ranging from marathons to "Total Immersion Events" and more)!

Yes, consider this a brief revival of the "Battle of the Brackets - Toonami 20th's Anniversary edition" that we did earlier this year. I will post 4 different Toonami events from year's past each day (16 contestants total - you'll find this will go quick). This is your chance to reflect back on the Toonami events of years past, and to vote on which event you think was the best in the history of Toonami!

Voting is simple: Just post which of the four contestants you find to be most awesome! Voting lasts no longer than 24 hours, and I will declare the winner each night.

Really, in addition to voting, just look at this as a chance to share your memories of these events that have defined Toonami over the years.

2. wonderfly

Toonami Event #1:

Toonami: Full Cycle!!

Versus:
    Originally Aired: April 8th, 2000
    Synopsis: The first time ever Toonami got to take over Cartoon Network for a full 24 hours. It was a marathon featuring episodes of Superfriends, Thundercats, Ronin Warriors, Powerpuff Girls, Gundam Wing, Dragon Ball Z, the first 3 DBZ movies, and the first 2 animated Batman movies. It featured the premiere of the Garlic Jr. Saga (which was groundbreaking for American DBZ fans - "Hey, we're actually getting to move beyond Goku vs. Frieza!!")

#2 wonderfly, Oct 30, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  3. wonderfly

Toonami Event #2:

Giant Robot Week!!

Versus:
    Originally Aired: February 24-28, 2003
    Synopsis: A week long celebration of one of the genres that anime does best: Giant Robots! Featuring episodes of Neon Genesis Evangelion, Dai-Guard, Martian Successor Nadesico, Gigantor, Robotech, and they broadcast "The Iron Giant" film at the conclusion of the week. They also aired some brief clips from what would eventually become the first episode of "Megas XLR". This one's notable for being one of the last "Events" during the TOM (version 2) era, this was right before the premier of TOM version 3.

4. wonderfly

Toonami Event #3:

A Night of New Year's Eve-il!!

Versus:
    Originally Aired: January 1st, 2002
    Synopsis: In the weeks leading up to New Year's Eve/New Year's Day, an online vote was cast, allowing people to vote for their favorite Toonami villains. The winners were featured in the marathon that night (starting at Midnight on New Years Day). Episodes of Dragon Ball Z, Gundam Wing, Tenchi Muyo, Mobile Suit Gundam, and Batman: The Animated Series aired. This is actually the 2nd "New Years Eve/Day" marathon - one year prior, on January 1st 2001, they aired a marathon of the DBZ "Garlic Jr." saga episodes (they called that "New Year's Evil" as well). I preferred this marathon, due to it's variety.

5. wonderfly

Toonami Event #4:

Samurai Jack / Clone Wars marathon!!

Originally Aired: September 24th, 2004
    Synopsis: A marathon in which Toonami broadcast the final 4 episodes of Samurai Jack (pre-2017 revival) and all 20 "micro-episodes" of the first "Clone Wars" animated series. A glorious send-off for the Samurai Jack series - even if it didn't have the closure of the 2017 ending, it was still an action packed night of samurai's and Jedi's.

Who do you vote to win?!?

6. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

Hard to say here. The only one that was unique was Giant Robot Week due to the ADV titles. However, while the idea was great on paper due to Evangelion, it ended up being a train wreck due to the choice of episodes from said anime that were featured during the event (as episode 1 was your basic "set-up" episode where by the time things get exciting, the episode ends, while episode 2 was heavily butchered to the point that one of the most memorable characters of the series was completely edited out of the Toonami version).

7. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

The only one I actively remember watching is the Samurai Jack finale. I remember it started off with "The Birth of Evil" two-parter, which just won the Emmy, and then alternated between Jack episodes and 5 parts of Clone Wars. It was such a cool event, even as someone who wasn't 100% in love with Jack.

I have vague memories of the other 3, but don't think that I watched much of them. I do remember sitting out Giant Robot Week in particular though, since the shows didn't impress me too much at the time.

8. wonderfly

Some additional promos for the events listed above:

Toonami: Full Cycle (short promo):

"A Night of New Year's Eve-il" ("the results are in!")

Giant Robot Week (long promo):

9. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

I don't remember any of these, but I'll vote for Giant Robot Week. It'd be cool if Toonami could do a Giant Robot Month.

10. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Out of the batch, I really only remember the Samurai Jack and Star Wars event. I remember seeing the promos for the New Years Eve event, but I wouldn't have watched that since I always watch the ball drop in New York for New Year's Eve. I'm pretty sure Full Cycle and Giant Robot week were before I started watching the block. While I wasn't a huge Samurai Jack or Star Wars fan, the promo was pretty cool and combining the two series together made sense. It kind of wins by default, but the event was pretty neat from what I remember of it.

11. wonderfly

Well, there's not really much in the way of votes to tally, and this was designed more for the remembrance of Toonami events of year's past anyway... But if we had to declare a winner, it looks like it'd be the "Samurai Jack / Clone Wars" marathon.

But let's move along, and look back on another four "events" from years past...

12. wonderfly

Toonami Event #5:

Lunar Eclipse!!

Versus:
    Originally Aired: May 23rd, 1999
    Synopsis: I believe this was the first Toonami marathon, and the only marathon of "Sailor Moon" to air on Toonami. It was 8 and 1/2 hours of non-stop Sailor Moon! This marathon was also unique due to this still being in the "Moltar" host era (though it was just a couple months away from TOM becoming host). This was Spring, 1999, and back at this time, Sailor Moon was arguably more popular than Dragon Ball Z (at least in terms of pop culture). But Dragon Ball Z was on the rise, and Sailor Moon would be on the decline shortly after this time period.

13. wonderfly

Toonami Event #6:

Naruto Hundo!!

Versus:
    Originally Aired: August 17-19, 2007
    Synopsis: A weekend marathon celebrating the premiere of the 100th episode of Naruto - to mark the occasion, Toonami aired all 100 episodes of Naruto to date. This one's note-able for it being the longest time Toonami ever took over the channel. It's just a shame that this was the TOM 4 era, by this point, so you had to see co-hosts Flash and D all weekend long...

14. wonderfly

Toonami Event #7:

A Month of Movies (2013)!!

Versus:
    Originally Aired: December, 2013
    Synopsis: Toonami had returned in the Spring of 2012, but it found it's footing by early 2013. By December, 2013, the Toonami crew was ready to experiment and have a month long movie festival! Featuring the film premieres of "Akira", "Summer Wars", "Full Metal Alchemist: Conqueror of Shamballa", and "Trigun: Badlands Rumble". They held a similar "Month of Movies" in December, 2014, but it was largely repeats of films from 2013 along with some DBZ films...the original "2013" version was just better.

15. wonderfly

Toonami Event #8:

The Intruder!!

Versus:
    Originally Aired: September 18-22, 2000
    Synopsis: The original "T.I.E" - aka "Total Immersion Event"! This was when Toonami decided to go beyond just airing episodes of cartoons, with this event, we learned TOM and Sara could have struggles of interest as well (in fact, this event lead to the creation of TOM version 2, voiced by Steve Blum). This was also note-able for the online activities that accompanied the story (fans could log in and play games and vote for the redesigned look of the Absolution ship).

Who do you vote to win?!?

EDIT:
    Well, okay, never mind....I guess during the week of Halloween (and immediately after a Samurai Jack rerun marathon, wherein there's nothing new to discuss) was not the best time to launch a retrospective.

Still looking forward to "Countdown" this weekend!

#15 wonderfly, Oct 31, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
  16. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

It was no shame for me.

Between the four events, the only one I was actually around to sink time into was the Naruto Hundo Marathon, so I'll give that my vote.

17. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

The Intruder, without question.

18. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

No contest here: The Intruder.

19. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'll go with the Month of Movies. I saw promos for the other events, but I wasn't watching much Toonami when those events began. I wasn't a fan of every movie they aired during that month, but I really liked Summer Wars and Trigun Badlands. It wins by default, but I also miss it when Toonami aired movies in general too.

20. wonderfly

So, you're an actual fan of the "TOM 4" era? Granted, I never hated it, like some fans do...but I just remember fans in the early 00's who were fantasizing for a "24/7" Toonami channel (like Boomerang was a CN spinoff), and by the time they got around to airing more than 24 hours of Toonami, it was the TOM 4 era...

Well, we're halfway through this little trip down memory lane, let's go ahead and see what other events we can remember...