1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Toon Zone Talkback - "Tiny Toon Adventures" Season 1 Vol. 2 Announced

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by Chaz, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Super Sonic

Super Sonic Fastest Thing Alive

We've been over this a billion times (not trying to pick on you, but there's been countless discussions on this), but Macadamia Nut isn't the reason why Animaniacs Volume 4 hasn't happened. That's the main reason why I (and many other people) are upset about the whole thing: because WHV literally has NO REASON AT ALL for their decision to not start work on it. Now we have two incomplete series. I'm happy for Freakazoid (I own both seasons) but this all feels so bittersweet to me...

2. Chaz

Chaz Member

They have a perfectly fine reason: the second and third set did not turn a profit, and thus they do not want to spend the money to produce the rest of the series.

3. Strong Suck

Strong Suck Member

Maybe they should just put out a Complete Series pack, in a Water Tower Tin. Or maybe we have to buy Volumes 2 and 3 ourselves, at the Full Price of $40, if we have to. That, and I think it must be the numerous blows dealt towards Disney, in parodies, like the Fabulously Cheap parody, Cute First, Ask Questions Later, Jokahontas, and Cutie and the Beast!

It's bad enough to make a guy sell those hard-bought sets, and trade them in for Disney Afternoon shows like Duck Tales, TaleSpin, and DarkWing Duck!

4. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

Here's another one: Best 'O Plucky Duck Day has the credits at the front, and the title cards just have the titles on them. On the Fox version I have taped, the opening card has pictures of Plucky from other episodes instead.

Did it air this way on Nick, or not?

5. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Yes, I believe so. I don't remember how the title cards were in the original airings, but the version I taped on Nick had the credits at the front and the picture/title name (no credits) for each individual short. Do you have a picture from your Fox taping?

Just watched "Brave Tales of Real Rabbits". Still love that episode. It's got some great jokes like Buster waiting for his stuffy British accent to come in the mail, and the Napoleon riddle. Freelance was at their best here. And Richard Stone, who composed this episode, did his best work for Tiny Toons.

6. Super Sonic

What does Buster mean in Tiny Toon Music Television when he asks "why can't I get any"? I thought he was upset that he wasn't in any of the videos, but he ended up being in the finale, so I'm a bit confused on that..

Um, can you verify this at all? Because everything I've read has said that the sales for volumes 2 and 3 were very good. Not as good as volume 1's spectacular sales (obviously) but still well enough to justify starting work on a final volume.

....If the second set did not "turn a profit" why would they even bother making the third one? And if the third set didn't turn a profit either, wouldn't it just make sense for them to make one more volume, since, according to you, the second one didn't sell good, yet they still made the third one? How is this any different?

I still think WHV could have advertised for those sets better. I didn't even know there were Animaniacs DVDs until last year (of course, that could just be the fault of Best Buy for getting rid of the Animaniacs DVDs in the stores).

#86 Super Sonic, Apr 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2009
  7. Fifi Fanatic

Fifi Fanatic Certified Skunkologist

Not just the M.I.A. Volume 4 of Animaniacs, but the Looney Tunes Golden Collection (which was supposed to be at least 10 Volumes) has instead stopped at 6. No apparent plans for any LT release of any kind for 2009. Still no Tex Avery set (common sense dictates there should have been one last year for the man's 100th Birthday). Also no guarantee of any further Tiny Toons....

So yeah, I have zero confidence in WHV right now. :(

8. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

But you may be wrong...:shrug:

9. Strong Suck

Strong Suck Member

If a fourth set were made, it would seem like the Warners escaping the Water Tower, only to see a wave of frustrated fans, who would want the Warners to pay their therapy bills, and flee in terror from the fans, just as Pinky and the Brain (as Big Ears and NoodleNoggin) did in "Puppet Rulers."

10. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

OK, can we get back to discussing the set we DID get released? Animaniacs vol. 4, TTA vol. 3, and anything else not out yet doesn't really belong in this thread. This should be about TTA Season 1 Part 2.

Anyway, it's funny, watching "Looniversity Days": Purple Plucky and no-whiskers Bugs aside, you can see flashes of decent animation in this one (I like Plucky's "can I have your stereo?" visual acting). If nothing else, the episode fares better than the two previous Encore efforts, and uses far less Kennedy to fill in the gaps as well. This makes me wonder how much better Encore would've gotten had they been kept on-board during the rest of season 1 and onwards.

Actually, thinking about it, while the Encore experiment didn't turn out very good overall, I can see good ideals behind it: A domestic studio working on a cartoon series that descended from a theatrical franchise that was produced entirely domestically. Same goes for Kennedy too (though they were in Canada, but close enough). A shame neither really worked out for WB, because if they had consistently been good, maybe things would've been different for domestic animation in general. Or, maybe it would've just ended the same anyway: Outsource everything eventually 'cuz it's cheaper. Who knows.

11. Strong Suck

Strong Suck Member

Well, as I said earlier, I liked "Hero Hamton," which somehow seemed a bit better than the Book-And-Tape Adaptation - "Hooray for Hamton." That story had some nice quotes.

K-ACME TV really seemed to bring out some potential humor, especially in that "Super Plucky-O Bros." Commercial. I even did a loop on the "Elmyra Discovers Porcupine" clip, to make it seem like it was on all channels. That was hilarious, and oughta be on a Youtube Poop! I even liked that episode, "Animaniacs!" where Plucky learned how to animate, and those films are good, even DIZZY EAT WORLD was funny!

12. Super Sonic

I apologize. It's just that with this probably being the last volume we're getting of the show, and numerous other things that have caused me to feel disappointment towards WHV, it was hard for me not to vent about it for a bit. But I was dragging down the topic and ruining discussion, so I'll stop.

Anyway, I agree with what you've said about domestic animation studios doing animation on the show. I've been thinking about that for a while too, but I'm very grateful Freelance and Encore didn't make it to seasons 2 and 3. Not because they're American animation studios, but because I found their animation atrocious and unpleasant to look at. Bad Freelance animation can easily dissuade me from watching what may be a decent short (although I did enjoy their animation on the first two acts of Gang Busters). Encore I could pretty much do without, but I'll check out that Plucky bit you just mentioned. I would've loved it if those studios could have been as great as Startoons, or even better.

However, it's hard to ignore the fact that not only is it cheaper to outsource animation to overseas studios, but it is faster since the studios are larger. I have the feeling that a large factor in Tom Ruegger's decision to have such a local studio do animation for the show was for a desire to have real American (well, very close to being American) animation on television again. I imagine he was hoping for zany high quality stuff that was made out of love and inspiration from the classic shorts. It must have been a huge profit loss and disappointment for everyone involved. Such a shame.

13. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

No worries, Sonic. I just didn't want the thread to get too off track.

Actually, Freelance did one season 3 episode, "Toons Take Over". And then they worked on Animaniacs and Taz-Mania, so WB must've been somewhat tolerant of their work.

As I said above, I thought they did a good job in "Brave Tales of Real Rabbits". Not TMS quality obviously, but entertaining with the rubbery facial expressions and such. If I make that discussion thread of this episode, I'll post some of my favorite screenshots from that one.
    I'm sure you meant to type Kennedy, 'cuz they were the ones who did Gang Busters, as well as quite a few on this second set. Though sadly, aside from "Best O' Plucky Duck Day", "Inside Plucky Duck", and "The ACME Bowl", we already got the best Kennedy episodes in the first set.

...The second half of season 1 REALLY could've used more than one TMS episode. I mean, dang.

14. Keeper

Keeper Active Member

Note also that Freelance was not American; they were in New Zealand.

15. Super Sonic

Whoops...I meant to say Kennedy instead of Freelance (I have no idea how I could've confused the names of the two) I honestly thought Freelance was decent, even with the slow-motion animation. I think they did a better job on Tiny Toons than Animaniacs, where their faults with staying close the the intended character designs was harder to ignore.

I've gotten so tired of Kennedy that I haven't bothered to watch High Toon on the DVD; I just skipped to K-ACME TV.

I still can't believe Kennedy was assigned 17 whole episodes over the course of this season (and the series). Waaayyy more than enough.

16. Elven Moon

Elven Moon hiya, toonsters

I picked up volume two yesterday and am almost finished with the first disc. There's a lot of episodes I've never seen, but apparently the "music video" episode is on this set, which I watched a LOT back in the day.

But good grief, I hope we don't have to wait almost a year again for volume three. Frankly, though, since Warner hasn't released season two of The Smurfs yet, I'm a little worried about THIS show's future.

17. Cartoonzrule

Cartoonzrule Member

There is one thing that makes me curious: Why did they release TTA vol.2 in a "box set" while the other one came in a "movie dvd" slipcase? Personally, I think that it's great that they're doing that, but I wish they could have done that with the previous volume :p

18. Super Sonic

Huh.

Seems there really was a scene cut in Tiny Toon Music Television, albeit a minor one. During the wraparound where Buster and Babs are in front of the phones, there was apparently a point in the original airing in which there was a fake 555-ACME number displayed on the screen, but this is gone from the DVD. I can't verify this since I've never watched TT Music Television (or maybe I did on Nick and just forgot) but I remember thinking that there was something cutout of that wraparound while watching it on the DVD, since right after Babs says her line, it abruptly just goes to Buster saying his line before "answering" the phone. It just felt as if something was missing. It also sounded as if Babs was about to say more about the wall of phones than she actually did.

19. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Fourteen Years!

Wasn't this a real phone number that led to a phone sex service?

20. Super Sonic

I never heard of this...What exactly happened? I thought all 555 numbers were fake.