1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Toon Zone Talkback - "ThunderCats" DVD Set Confirmed - UPDATE: Release Date Announced

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by pel, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Chris Wood

Chris Wood Desslar

Cool, thanks for the details. I only had the chance to see a couple episodes, but it seemed like a cool series. Great theme song.

2. Duke

Duke Truer Words Were Never Spoken

3. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

That box art is freak'n rad.

4. Duke

Duke Truer Words Were Never Spoken

I just wish it was bigger so I could upload it into DVDAF...

5. Nobuyuki sama

Nobuyuki sama Simply Irresponsible

What an odd price...:confused:

6. PaQ

PaQ Believe it!

Oy, that's a tad pricy. Good amount of episodes though. I'll have to figure out someway to get my hands on it. :D

7. Matt-a-Tastic

Matt-a-Tastic Active Member

Same with Digimon too :crying:

8. Wanted

Wanted Toonmaster

The price... is killing me. Can anyone say, "Wal*Mart Discount"?

9. Knightmare

Knightmare Active Member

I doubt that will be the actual price, I remember that when Transformers, GI JOE, Jem , and TMNT first came out my local Best Buy and Circuit City were selling them for usually about ten dollars less then the original price that was show online.

According to TV Tome, Thundercats has 130 episodes if they continue to release the volumes like this one with around 33 episodes in each set it will take 4 volumes to complete the series.

10. Zero-V

Zero-V Active Member

I'd recommend three episodes of the racing season

1. The first, because it actually reveals Miles Mayhems' involvment in M.A.S.K's creation as part of series canon, it's also a pretty decent little gem, particualry the exchanges between Miles and Max, the story is more or less classic M.A.S.K, very little real racing is used in it.

2. "Where Eagles Dare" is one of the better racing episodes, it actually does'nt insult the audience like the rest of them tried to do with some lame racing premise, it was also a throwback to classic M.A.S.K whilst using the racing concept, Matt was on a mission to give this document to the U.N.A, and Miles and Max, Lester Sludge trying to prevent him, leading to some thrilling chase and action sequences, and Sludge actually almost SUCCEDED if it had'nt been for Matt's veichles' jet mode.

3. "Demolition Duel To The Death", introduces the character of Boris Buskin as a villian, but it's really a trap so they could surpise VENOM with M.A.S.K's newest member: Bushkin, it's particulary memorable for being the episode that established Vanessa Warfeild as the subsiduary V.E.N.O.M commander, a character devlopment I found particulary inspiring, as she had been more or less a mere agent in the first season, and now she was Miles' substitute in a handful of episodes.

I'm not saying the Racing series was spotless, (hell even I hate most of it) but there was a genuine effort in that season to make it stand up with the first

11. Conekiller

Conekiller On the Cruise!

I want it...NOW!

(now I jsut need an OST soundtrack and my master plan will be comlete....:evil: )

12. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

I was going to get this but this is WAAAAY too pricey for a three disc set. Is this WHV's strategy now? To release sets so pricey that when they fail to sell they can say there isn't a market for them and they won't have to bother releasing anymore? Cause if it IS it's working really well so far.

13. Conekiller

Conekiller On the Cruise!

The largest Transformers boxset sells for about $60 also, but I don't think it has up to 33 eps on it. Not to mention that thing sold like crazy (at least in the store I worked at)

14. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

That's MSRP. Noone sells stuff that high except catalogue companies.

15. Wanted

Wanted Toonmaster

Don't exclude Best Buy and the Musicland Group stores. Especially the Musicland Group. Everything there is MSRP, unless it's VHS or it's plain old.
    I think their strategy is, "The show has a following, so we'll try to squeeze *$49 out of their pockets.

*$49 - the approximate price it's going to sell for at, say, Wal*Mart

But, yes, it'd be more worth it if it was a six-disc set, but it's not. And, looking at the number of episodes, The Flintstones' second season set has thirty-two episodes on it, yet it still manages to have four discs (one of which is double-sided [but, at least the others have art]), of which three have cover art.

The thing that gripes me is that the first season will sell for this MSRP, and WHV will never bother lowering it so that the stores can sell it for less, even after a year (like they did with the Scooby set, which still sells for $49, even after over a year [while sets like Flinstones S1 are selling for $20 less]).

16. joshualane

joshualane I want some pie

It's three double-sided discs... so, it's sort of like a six-disc set.

17. Chris Wood

Chris Wood Desslar

Hmm, I might get the first set just for old times sake. The theme song is just too cool.

18. pel

pel Captain Marvel

Are they double sided because they're not dual layer?

By the way the WB store has the set for $49.95[size=+1][/size]

#78 pel, Apr 26, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2005
  19. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

That actually sounds pretty good. How many episodes are in the set?

20. Knightmare

Knightmare Active Member

Best Buy has it listed as a 6-pc(disc) set and priced at $69.99. Circuit City doesn't have it listed yet. Target has it priced at $45.44, but they don't list how discs are in the set.

In related 80's toon news both BB and CC are selling both Danger Mouse:The Complete Seasons 1&2(out 5/31/05) and He-Man and The Masters of the Universe (7/12/05) for $19.99. While Target has He-Man listed at $17.49 and Danger Mouse at $20.97.

Wal-Mart doesn't have any of them listed at all.