1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Toon Zone Talkback - "ThunderCats" DVD Set Confirmed - UPDATE: Release Date Announced

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by pel, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Ah, okay. So it was like a lot of other shows (like G.I. JOE and B:TAS), where it was a U.S.-produced show, but was just animated overseas.

And why is that so common? Is it too expensive to animate here in the U.S.?

2. Nobuyuki sama

Nobuyuki sama Simply Irresponsible

Senior staff (animation directors, keyframe artists) was Japanese. They also did the work for R-B's "Hobbit" and "Return of the King" movies.

Short answer: Yes, especially for TV-sized budgets.

3. Zero Signal

Zero Signal Caught Somewhere In Time

Man, I'm so amped over this. I know it wasn't the greatest show ever (watching the Toonami reruns awhile back actually made me cringe in places), but it's just so much a happy part of my childhood I have to buy it. Nostalgia = $$$

4. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, I'll definitely buy at least this first release just to have another part of my childhood back. :D Now we need MASK, BIONIC SIX, and (of course) THE REAL GHOSTBUSTERS.

5. dtemplar

dtemplar Old School Professor
    Reporter

I have an idea for for the extras in the upcoming Thundercats DVD Box set:

Exclusive interviews with Larry Kenney (Lion-O), Earle Hyman (Panthro), Lynne Lipton (Cheetara/ Wilykit), Peter Newman (Tygra/ Wilykat), Artur Rankin Jr., Jules Bass, and Janice Wolf (daughter of the late Ted Wolf, creator of Thundercats).

6. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Is this a box set or three different volumes? If it's a box set why wouldn't they be able to include Lion-O's initiation on one disc?:confused:

7. Beat

Beat Retired

Really? Because I remember Part II of Megazone 23 looking identical to Thundercats. Was that farmed out to Korea too?

8. joshualane

joshualane I want some pie

Probably. Japanese productions farm out animation the same way the US does... to save money.

9. joshualane

joshualane I want some pie

It's a 3-disc box set. And it's not so much about including Lion-O's initiation on one disc, it's more about how Warner is going to order the episodes. Most episode guides don't actually have the 5-ep arc of Lion-O's Annointment as being together, even though story-wise they are.

The thing is, in this first set, it likely won't even be an issue because those episodes probably won't appear until set #2.

10. Chris Wood

Chris Wood Desslar

I kind of doubt Thundercats was animated in Korea back in the mid 80s. In those days Japan was still the place for cheap animation. It's only since the early to mid 90s that Korea became the go-to low cost producer.

At any rate, I'm not sure if I would spring for a Thundercats box set. I'd be up for a "best of" disc though.

Bring on M.A.S.K., Galaxy Rangers, Spiral Zone, and Star Sheriffs.

11. Beat

Beat Retired

Now that I think of it, I'm not sure if I'd buy a whole DVD set.

Galaxy Rangers I never saw, I'd only buy a Saber Rider set if it had the Bismarck eps as extras, and the other two seem like best of dvd candidates.

12. Chris Wood

Chris Wood Desslar

Galaxy Rangers you must see. Pick up one of the compilation discs out now.

Is Bismarck radically different from Saber Rider? I've only seen the SR version, and that was a long time ago.

You may be right about a few episodes being enough for M.A.S.K., but with Spiral Zone there's at least an element of a continuing storyline so it'd be cool to have them all.

13. Beat

Beat Retired

I've heard something about five episodes never reaching our shores, but not so sure about the plot in itself.

OK, so Galaxy Rangers is a good buy? Guess I'll need to check it out.

14. Chris Wood

Chris Wood Desslar

Yeah, at least get one disc to see what you think. They're only like $11 from DeepDiscountDVD.com. As the episodes aren't being released sequentially, I recommend starting with Volume 2, Supertroopers, as it has some of the strongest episodes.

[​IMG]

15. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I've also been meaning to check out GALAXY RANGERS. I've heard nothing but good things about it, and I don't remember it at all, but I'm grown curious enough to want to check it out. (Besides, I need more '80s cartoons on DVD. :D )

As for M.A.S.K., I'd buy the first season (which would likely be 2-3 volumes), but I would avoid the second season, when the show was turned into a racing series and every freakin' episode took place at a race track. :mad:

16. Conekiller

Conekiller On the Cruise!

I've got a buddy who's been pimping Saber Rider to me for YEARS! I finally saw the first 2 eps na VHS we found one day, but I apparently have yet to witness the awesomeness that is Jessie Blue.

I'd get the DVD of that just so I can see what the hype was all aobut.

17. Beat

Beat Retired

Let's see, stuff changed in Saber Rider (not much to discuss edit-wise for T-cats since it was built for the US)

The main character in Bismarck was on pilot Shinji Hikari (Yes, you read that right) aka Fireball in the English version. In the English version, things were changed so that Saber Rider (Richard Lancelot in Bismarck) was the main character. BOTH version were originally supposed to focus on 10 gallon hat wearing Bill Wilcox (Colt) before the show was finalized.

Five episodes of Bismarck were deemed too violent for American consumption. World Events Productions solved this by creating six American-exclusive episodes to replace the cut ones. Supposedly the American ones are far inferior in quality.

Lots of drunk humor cut out. (I always wondered who'd win in a drinking contest between Colt and Saber Rider)

Bismarck was changed to RAMROD.

While the guns still shot lasers, the Bandits of the Vapor Zone stayed dead when shot by them.

Yup, sounds like a typical WEP edit.

18. Dark Fact

Dark Fact Preaching evil since '04

You know what'll be funny? I'll tell you what'll be funny! Thundercats bloopers on the DVD releases! :D

But you know the chances of that happening... :shrug:

19. Hades

Hades Active Member

Hold up, they are going to release all 130 episodes in 3 sets? If so, that is cool. I hope they do it soon though.

20. Duke

Duke Truer Words Were Never Spoken

No idea. However, the first Boxset has been confirmed to be 3-discs. Since a trailer for it will be appearing on B:TAS Vol. 3 (which is where the actual news came from in the first place), one expects it to be released around the same time, which is early summer.