Toon Zone Talkback - "Tekken: Blood Vengeance" (UK Edition): And You Thought Your Family Reunions We

Discussion in 'The Anime Forum' started by HellCat, Feb 6, 2012.

1. HellCat

HellCat Administrator Staff Member

2. Dr. Daedalus

Dr. Daedalus I presume.

Watched the movie tonight. One thing that struck me about the film is that despite being in CGI, it felt like an anime, both in the visual tropes and storytelling. That's neither a good thing or a bad thing; just an observation I had.

The fight scenes were well-choreographed and fast-paced; I particularly liked the battle between Xiaoyu and Alisa. Those double chainsaw arms were wicked cool.

But I really didn't care for the very end, when

Overall, though, not bad. I wouldn't mind seeing more Tekken CG films, ideally with each one focusing on different characters from the franchise.

3. HellCat

The secret final boss (which I hear you only get to see if you watch the movie without losing a single round) was at least partially tolerable to me because of the excellent CGI for it. I tried to cap some for the review but found that you needed to see it in motion to understand how good it was.

I've heard that apparently Spoony reviewed this soon after I did, so I'm intrigued to hear what he has to say in a looser sense.

4. SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX Active Member

Here's Spoony's review. He considers it to be worse than the live-action movie.

5. HellCat

I got a good laugh from that. We seem to be on the same page with it, even down to nitpicks (how can you hide chainsaws in arms smaller then they are?). However, I'm surprised he left out the fridge scene. Surely the most infamous scene of this film deserved attention.

As for the 'upskirt' scene- it's actually a consistent oddity with the film. Clearly the director likes legs and goes out of his way to insert shots dedicated to them.

6. Dr. Daedalus

Dr. Daedalus I presume.

Oh I would agree with that aspect. The CG in that scene is top notch.
    Yet there are rarely panty shots that would typically accompany them. Go figure.

7. Gold Guy

Gold Guy This ain't Pokemon!

But since this film was animated, written, and directed in Japan, wouldn;t that make it anime?

Anyway, I enjoyed this film as a brain-less action fest, but the plot bored me. The animation was very well done, though, but I think Final Fantasy: Advent Children had slightly better animation.

8. Dr. Daedalus

Dr. Daedalus I presume.

I know that. My point is that it carried a lot of tropes that you'd see in a 2D anime show/movie; in other words, they transcend the medium used.

9. anime_guru

anime_guru show me your as-sets

I have to actually agree
    After being a very avid fan of tekken, I groan in disappointment at every single tekken movie that has come out. And its not because I hate the franchise, but because the movies themselves divide the established cannon with fodder. And its not even good fodder. I found myself looking at my watch after the 20th minute.

Sadly I like Xiaoyu quite a lot and jumped for joy when I saw her being a lead in a Tekken movie. If only it was good... sighs