Toon Zone Talkback - NY Times: Pixar's "Up" Has Wall Street and Toy Retailers Nervous

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by Racattack!Force, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Racattack!Force

Racattack!Force 私は、ああ、くそっバットマンなんだよ !

2. Monterey Jack

Monterey Jack Active Member

Ratatouille was about a RAT IN A KITCHEN, and it still grossed $200 million in the United States alone. Pixar is the most trusted "brand name" in Hollywood today. People are going to turn out in droves for this.

3. Luna

Luna Daydreamer

Personally,I think it looks funny,judging by the trailer,so I'm definately interested in seeing Up when it comes out....Really,I don't think there's anything to worry about,box office-wise,Pixar's got a great track record for their movies (I'm pretty sure all of them did extremely well),so I don't see this film being an exception....

4. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

Their concern isn't for the movie. They're more worried that the merchandise won't sell because no kid wants to buy toys shaped like an old man. Not many toys were made out of Ratatouille because....well, rat toys'd be nasty.

5. Hordesman

Hordesman slashor

I'm surprised NYTimes beat JHMedia on this. When I was in high school, Entertainment Weekly greeted each and every upcoming Disney release with an article on "will this be the one to end Disney's winning streak"? If the characters capture people's imagination, it won't matter what they are.

6. Baltofan

Baltofan Active Member

Looks like Pixar's best beside Ratatouille.

7. Ed Liu

Ed Liu Frog of Thunder
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

The thing about the article is that they're talking to the bean-counters, not actual human beings. I was thinking of Googling the names of the analysts quoted to see how often they were right or wrong, or if any of them were the idiots who said, "Audiences don't want 2-D movies any more." You also have to remember that these are the same analysts who will carefully explain that nobody went to see the second Tomb Raider movie because of poor reception of the video game, or because nobody wants to see women in lead roles in action films (the same excuse they used for Catwoman). They're rotten predictors of anything, and often terrible after-the-fact explainers. I wonder why any of them have jobs.

The lack of merchandising is a bit more worrisome to me. Like it or not, merchandising plays a major role in decisions in entertainment, no matter how much Lasseter or Iger will talk about quality.

That being said, though, it really seems to me that the best marketing plan for Up really is, "We're Pixar. Have we let you down before?" It's a phenomenally tough sell, and it says something about the firm that they'd rather risk a commercial failure to let a director have their free run on a movie rather than play it safe (although Toy Story 3 and Cars 2 might satisfy the latter). Up is a remarkably hard movie to market, and I'm actually not sure if audiences will react to it the same way they did to Pixar's other films.

8. tb4000

tb4000 Active Member

It really depends...kids love animation regardless, mostly because we're wired since birth to love anything animated. Yeah, the protagonist is an old man and his sidekick is a kid and a "talking" dog, but I sense that his taste for adventure and not letting others keep him from it will be what sells it to kids.

9. The Irishman

The Irishman Tall. Irish. Animation Anomaly

Good points Ed. What's nice about Pixar is that they ARE willing to put out movies that may not be very marketable; compared to Dreamworks, who wouldn't put out a movie unless they could squeeze every last drop out of it (or in the case of Shrek continue flogging a dead horse).

Personally, I think it's great that they feel the need to put out the odd potential 'commercial failure' if only for the sole reason of keeping their creative stock higher than everyone else.

10. Mesousa

Mesousa Biggest Hinata Azuma fanboy

If Pixar had a movie with people such as Rob Schneider, it'd still be successful.

It worked with other comedians such as Larry the Cable Guy and Patton Oswalt.

:p

11. Leviathan

Leviathan "It's against nature!"
    Staff Member Moderator

Aside from the more specific and credited sources, the only things in this article needs is a Jim Hill credit.

Wall-E and Ratatouille are Pixar's worst-grossing films and they both made more than 200m domestically? Only in Hollywood.

(BTW, to put this in perspective, the only Dreamworks films to pass 200m domestically are the Shrek trilogy and Kung Fu Panda. In contrast, the only Pixar films NOT to are A Bug's Life and the first Toy Story. I think that says a lot.)

12. Old Guy

Old Guy Active Member

Yup. Because it was the `90s. Adjusted for inflation those grossed that mark.

13. Gokou Ruri

Gokou Ruri Wielder of the dark arts.

Thematic meaning and creativity be danged, if we can't sell toys to the kiddies then this is truly the end of the industry as we know it. Hollywood/Wall Street are, if nothing else, consistent with their mindset, at least.

14. Old Guy

Old Guy Active Member

What would the Children's Entertainment Business be without toys? ;)

15. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

I agree that this movie would be hard to market with toys (and other children's items) but I am sure that it would do just fine at the box office.

16. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think they're acting stupid. They could just make toys of Doug the Dog.

17. NewcomerDC

NewcomerDC Active Member

And yet like Bolt and Enchanted, I, along with the fans of Up would still be upset of not having more merchandise made to support the film. I mean Disney can make up with McDonald's and make getting Happy Meals to be cool again.

18. Kuromi_Star

Kuromi_Star Neko mimi mode

The movie isn't going to fail at the box office because it's Pixar. I do believe though that old man toys will not sell as well as Buzz Lightyear or even Nemo toys. Rat toys are terrible too but it didn't affect the box office sales. Merchandising and the actual movie are separate in this case. It is nice to see them valuing creativity though.

19. HG Revolution

HG Revolution Truth (with crazy opinions!)

I think it's for the better Pixar isn't doing Happy Meals anymore. I mean, given that Ratatouille was about fine dining and Wall-E tackled the obesity epidemic among other issues, it'd be hypocritical for those films to have had Happy Meals.

20. NewcomerDC

NewcomerDC Active Member

Like for the other movies I mentioned in the previous thread, I wished Disney came up with new ways to make merchandise from them. I wished that there were some collectible figurine sets in The Disney Stores but since I read about a few of them closing up shop, I guess that dream will never be a reality.