1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Toon Zone Talkback - "Looney Tunes Super-Stars": Road Runner & Wile E. Coyote: Supergenius Hijinks C

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by SB20xx, Jan 26, 2011.

1. wiley207

wiley207 Well-Known Member

A Daffy and Speedy DVD release I can live without, but I wouldn't mind seeing a few Cool Cat cartoons restored on DVD (not as a "Cool Cat and Friends" set, but probably to supplement other cartoons featuring some other main character or an all-stars collection.)

2. Toonatic

Toonatic Active Member

A Daffy/Speedy disc and a Cool Cat disc would be a buy for me!

3. Jon Cooke

Jon Cooke GAC!

WB has updated the information about the Roadrunner DVD. The webtoons aren't on the disc after all, it will be the three theatrical CGI Roadrunner cartoons from 2010. It also looks like "Freeze Frame" and "Soup or Sonic" are being dropped, replaced by two more Larriva RRs. More information on GAC.

4. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, if nothing else, at least this will be an easy way to see the new shorts without having to see their accompanying movies in theaters or buying them on iTunes.

I still don't think I'm going to buy this, but that's a bit of an improvement.

5. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

TZ article updated. Thanks for the heads up!

6. SpongeJosh

SpongeJosh A Bold Kid

Well I have wanted to see the new shorts but couldn't justify seeing the films they were paired with just for their sake. I may have to look into this.

7. Angilasman

Angilasman Active Member

... hrmmmm

I guess I'll have to buy this after all. Those new CG toons look terrific - and this change shows that the people releasing these have at least part of a brain.

8. Anthonynotes

Anthonynotes Active Member

At least "Boulder Wham!" is one of the better Larriva RR shorts. Yeah, yeah, I know... :p

So, revising the previous list, the only post-classic era shorts missing from DVD:

- Rushing Roulette
    - Run, Run, Sweet Road Runner
    - Tired and Feathered
    - Just Plane Beep
    - Soup or Sonic ("Freeze Frame" is included with the Bugs Bunny Christmas special on one LTGC set)

Wonder why not just include the missing four 60s shorts (and "Soup or Sonic" somewhere) and finish that whole run off...

9. Toonatic

Toonatic Active Member

Actually, Soup Or Sonic is part of Bugs Bunny's Bustin' Out All Over which is already available on DVD twice (LTGC V5 and Essential Bugs Bunny).

10. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

That's actually my least favorite Road Runner short ever. Besides the always bland animation, recycled footage, and molasses pacing to the gags that are common to any Larriva RR, the fact that the whole cartoon basically took place in one spot didn't do it any favors when it came to variety. The gags weren't the most original things in the world, either (and the tightrope gag was much funnier in "Whoa Be Gone").

Also, Road Runner standing across the pit from Wile felt out of character to me, in that he wasn't trying to escape being Wile's dinner as usual but apparently had nothing better to do than watch as each of Wile's plans failed. When a RR cartoon has the Road Runner barely moving, you know you've got a dud on your hands.

11. Anthonynotes

Anthonynotes Active Member

Thought that was one of the main trends of the post-Jones 60s shorts---most of them tended to center around an actual "plot" ("Sugar and Spies" = Wile E. with a spy kit, "The Solid Tin Coyote" = Wile E. uses a giant robot coyote, etc.)...

12. Toonatic

Toonatic Active Member

13. Bat-Fan Beyond

Bat-Fan Beyond Active Member

14. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Article updated. No idea what the delay is about, but here's hoping that WB is reconsidering so many Larriva RRs and will stick a few Jones RRs on there.

I just hope we don't get less Super-Stars discs in 2011 as a result of this delay.

15. Leviathan

Leviathan "It's against nature!"
    Staff Member Moderator

Sadly, this is more indication of the ground-low regard Warner has for their own cartoons post-Golden Collection. Their standards have fallen so far that these Super Star DVD's have been plagued by not one, but two almost half-year delays in the first couple of waves alone.

However, I did ask Warner Archive's Facebook if they were going to do anything with the Looney Tunes and they replied to me with this

They absolutely HAVE to produce to proper successor to the Golden Collection; Warner's retail divisions have indicated that they're not interested.

16. Bat-Fan Beyond

Bat-Fan Beyond Active Member

I've heard rumor that Warner Brothers and Jerry Beck are working on a collection of previously banned shorts, including the infamous "Censored Eleven" -- as well as a complete uncut Golden Age Tom & Jerry collection. Here's hoping.

17. Astrolupine

Astrolupine Man on the wing.

18. Chaz

Chaz Member

I don't know why, but my local Wal-Mart had these in stock yesterday. I bought a copy. The shorts are dreadful.

19. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

So.... I finally bought this, mainly for the Looney Tunes completist in me, but also to see if the CG RR shorts were any good. I enjoyed them (and I liked how they tried to replicate the specific poses that were prevalent in the Jones RRs), but they were too short and not quite as funny as the best RRs.

After that, we got a fairly amusing trio of modern shorts, which all had their merits: "Little Go Beep" had the usual strong poses we expect from StarToons staff, "The Whizzard of Ow" had a lot of inventive gags from the magic motif, and "Chariots of Fur" had great animation by many Jones proteges and probably the best score out of any of these cartoons.

"Sugar and Spies" isn't a great cartoon by any means, but it's a guilty pleasure of mine, and has a few funny bits. And I dig the '60s spy-flavored soundtrack.

And then we come to the Larriva RRs. I went into these with a fresh attitude, hoping that maybe I could see good in them that I hadn't before. Well, that maybe worked for the first short, but that fell apart quickly as I just kept wishing I was watching a Jones RR instead. The thing about the Larriva RRs is, they have the basic concept down (Wile E. wants to catch the Road Runner), but it's just executed really horribly. It's like a director from a foreign country watched one or two shorts to get the gist of it, abruptly said, "Got it", and made their imitation without really understanding what made the Jones RRs so engaging. And watching a lot of these in a row really is a depressing experience, especially with the recycled soundtrack cues, which quickly wore out their welcome. I actually asked myself, "What am I doing??"

So yeah, I'm happy to own roughly half the cartoons on this disc, but I doubt I'll ever watch the other half ever again.