1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Toon Zone Talkback - "Looney Tunes Super-Stars": Road Runner & Wile E. Coyote: Supergenius Hijinks C

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by SB20xx, Jan 26, 2011.

1. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

2. Hey Steve

Hey Steve Member

Warner Bros. just gave us the ultimate middle finger

3. Toon Master

Toon Master Active Member

Web toons? Out of all of the content Warner Brothers could have put on this disc they chose web toons!? They really just don't care anymore....

4. Angilasman

Angilasman Active Member

No, this is completely uncalculated. It's an uncalculatable move. It just proves that the division of Warner Brothers doing these DVD releases just doesn't know a thing about Looney Tunes and isn't interested in learning. They have other things they want to do right now and just don't care.

5. Astrolupine

Astrolupine Man on the wing.

So, just to clarify, are there any double-dips here, or none at all?

So, webtoons. *cough* Middling-animated Flash shorts that, despite not being the least favorable Looney Tunes shorts of the past decade, both they and Larry Doyle's shorts proved that the series needs a favorable budget as much as they do good writers.

For a sec there, I actually thought they were the unreleased CGI shorts from the upcoming new show, or the 3D theatrical stuff. In any case, what reason would any of those three series have to be on a 'classic'-themed disc? Really!

In any case, I still think WB is a better treater of their classic shorts.

6. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Four, count 'em, four, cartoons on this are double dips:
    * Freeze Frame is part of "Bugs Bunny's Looney Christmas Tales", which is on Golden Collection 5
    * Soup or Sonic is part of "Bugs Bunny's Bustin' Out All Over", which is on Golden Collection 5
    * Whizzard of Ow is a bonus cartoon on "LT: Back in Action"
    * Little Go Beep is a bonus cartoon on "Daffy Duck's Quackbusters".

Four spots which could've gone to Chuck Jones cartoons instead. Sigh.

7. Astrolupine

Astrolupine Man on the wing.

Well, Little Go Beep is a bit of a bonus since I didn't really feel like paying $15 for Quackbusters. Great short in itself, proving that sometimes 'babyfication' can work. The others... ehhhh.

Let's just hope I can find this and Foghorn secondhand. Somehow I managed to find Bugs and Daffy for $7 apiece, less than a week after release. They're like, $22, standard.

8. wiley207

wiley207 Well-Known Member

At least they got "Sugar and Spies" on the set! That is my favorite non-Chuck Jones Road Runner cartoon.

I also wonder how many "Casual" buyers will be surprised to find that when they start up the DVD, they expect to see the traditional "bullseye" opening and stunning Chuck Jones animation and perfect-sounding Carl Stalling/Milt Franklyn music, only to get the bizzare "abstract" WB opening and music, limited and often sub-par Rudy Larriva/Format Films animation and the same annoying Bill Lava music cues over and over, not to mention NO Latin names at the beginning, the Road Runner actually sensing danger for once, and a few other of the unofficial Road Runner rules that were broken in the '60s!

9. Anthonynotes

Anthonynotes Active Member

My theory to the oddness of this set: they might've wanted to get all (or most of ) the "lesser" non-Jones Road Runner shorts out of the way on a DVD release and "get it over with." However, they're missing a few (not counting the new CGI shorts) post-Jones RR shorts that IIRC aren't on any other DVD release:

- Rushing Roulette
    - Run, Run, Sweet Road Runner
    - Tired and Feathered
    - Boulder Wham!
    - Just Plane Beep
    - Hairied and Hurried

Other than those, this set takes care of all the non-Jones ones... but still, yes, I wonder how well this is going to sell. (If it were cheap, I might be interested in it for "The Solid Tin Coyote" and the Jones TV shorts/a few others...).

10. J. B. Warner

J. B. Warner Increasing my wordiness

Technically, it's seven double-dips if you count the three webtoons - all the looneytunes.com webtoons were released on standalone DVDs about seven or eight years ago. Which makes this disc almost 50% recycled material.

I'm done with Warner Home Video. Unless they wise up and decide to relaunch the Golden Collections, I'll never buy another Looney Tunes DVD again. Not if this is the kind of crap we have to put up with.

11. Toonatic

Toonatic Active Member

I'll buy the set. I've always wanted to see the non-Chuck Jones shorts and Chariots Of Fur restored. Plus, an oppourtunity of finally having a widescreen release of Whizzard Of Ow. Still, this release is a mix bag. On one hand we get a copule of shorts we've already have on DVD (and 3 web shorts which I don't have to remind you have no buisness in being in a Super Stars set.). On the other we get new-to-DVD shorts (even if the Larriva shorts are hated by most) which we'll see newly restored. I just hope this kinda treatment doesn't end up for all future Super Stars releases.

12. Leviathan

Leviathan "It's against nature!"
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm... at a loss for words. I mean, is Warner for real?

13. Nexonius

Nexonius Ten, count em', ten years!

What the hell?

This is downright pathetic. I mean, there's plenty more Chuck Jones shorts still unreleased (not counting the later shorts), so why in the hell must we have the craptacular Larriva cartoons?

Wake me up when Warner Home Video wants to make a Golden Collection again.

14. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

I know you're being facetious, but to anyone else, yes, this list is accurate. It was confirmed by Jerry Beck.

I could understand if one or two of the Larriva RRs made it onto a Road Runner disc, and the rest were by Chuck Jones. That wouldn't be so bad. But ignoring Jones entirely (if you don't count those later shorts, that is, and two of which are double dips anyway) in favor of a series which is objectively inferior... that's just wrong.

I know, I know, the Super-Stars line is more for the casual crowd. But the casual crowd deserves better cartoons than the Larriva RRs. They really are some of the worst cartoons in the WB library.

15. Dogbert

Dogbert I Don't See Gravity

It all stems from their idiotic policy of releasing only cartoons that were originally shown in some theaters as widescreen. Apparently starting in a certain year ('54?), some theaters started cropping LT and WB accommodated this by making sure the credits were crop-safe. The "Family Division" at WHV has warped this into being the OAR (it isn't!) so that they can release these as widescreen releases. For whatever reason, they are sticking to this and therefore won't touch the early and middle years of the golden age, which was when Jones did a lot of his great work on LT. Hence why we're seeing all these later non-Jones shorts...

I'm just waiting for the movie division of WHV to get LT back. Then we'll see some quality releases again...

16. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Yes, but all the Chuck Jones Road Runners not on DVD (which account for shorts from 1958-1964) fall under the same scenario as the Larriva RRs: Post-53, cropped for widescreen in theaters. So that really shouldn't make much of a difference.

17. Leviathan

Leviathan "It's against nature!"
    Staff Member Moderator

WB has apparently heavily gutted their movie division, since tons of older movies that would've been restored and released in normal DVD's pre-recession are now being unceremoniously dumped as-is onto DVD-R's.

The LT's are apparently the biggest causality of that, since they're now being handled by the Family Division.

18. Dogbert

Dogbert I Don't See Gravity

Sorry, I'm not exactly an expert on dates. I just figured the post-53 agenda was to blame for selection given that it was a problem with previous releases. My bad...

19. J. B. Warner

J. B. Warner Increasing my wordiness

Maybe the Larrivas are easier to restore, since they're slightly more recent than the later Jones entries. I know it's unlikely, but given how little effort Warner Bros. is clearly putting into restoring the Looney Tunes now, it wouldn't surprise me if that had something to do with it. It would also explain why several of the cartoons are from the 1990s or later - they've already got decent masters for those, and the webtoons are digital Flash files. (But then again, I think all of Jones' Road Runner cartoons were restored and remastered in the early 2000s for foreign video releases - that's why there were so many of them on the second Golden Collection, 'cause they already had them laying around and figured they might as well use a bunch of 'em.)

The whole thing smacks of laziness. The Looney Tunes don't belong in the family division. I'm tired of Warner Bros. perpetuating the myth that these cartoons are only for kids.

20. Hey Steve

Hey Steve Member

From now on, I guess we should only expect the worst from Warner Bros. I fear that the next two releases will be "Daffy and Speedy" and "Cool Cat and Friends", and these certainly would be the absolute worst DVD's...ever