1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Toon Zone Talkback - Kids WB To Give Looney Tunes Extreme Makeover

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by adoptedBatpuppy, Feb 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adoptedBatpuppy

adoptedBatpuppy Confidence is the Key

On school computer, the preview short will not download, so I can't view it. :sad: and I don't have internet at home.

2. Kryten

Kryten I've been Pony'd

*watches preview video*

*weeps for the future of mankind*

3. John Pannozzi

John Pannozzi Still Gritty after all these years

I saw a feature on CBS News Sunday Morning on this, and it told the different feelings towards it. Some non-fans of all ages thought the design of "Buzz" was scarier and less friendly and familar than the previous designs of Bugs. Chuck Jones's family said that "You can't replace an icon", or something to that extent. CBS showed clips from earlier Bugs cartoons and from "Space Jam" to show that Bugs has evolved over the years. They showed a clip collection of SpongeBob, Batman, Supergirl, Chibi Son Goku going SSJ and Starfire to show how diverse cartoons are nowadays.

My rebuttal to CBS: First of all, I consider the rabbit(s) in "Porky's Hare Hunt", "Prest-o Change-o", "Hare-um, Scare-um" and "Elmer's Candid Camera" to be prototypes of Bugs, but seperate characters from Bugs and not even characters played by Bugs (if we're to believe to "Who Framed Roger Rabbit", "Looney Tunes: Back in Action", etc.; all cartoon characters are actors of film, TV and other mediums). If we look at ALL official/liscened art of Bugs, from the first color character design(s) of "A Wild Hare" to the most recent webtoons that Bugs appears in, they all look different but all are easily recognized as Bugs: they are gray (sometimes blue by mistake) and white; they all wear white gloves, etc. This version of Bugs, "Buzz" Bunny, looks like the illegitimate offspring of Bugs, the modern animated cartoon version of Batman and Todd MacFarlene's Spawn. It is only slightly recognizable as Bugs, but is sleeker, sharper, is black and green instead of gray and white, and has no pupils, making him look like a demon or a slave of evil (ex. Podlings who lose their essence and became slaves of the Skesis in Jim Henson's "The Dark Crystal" or the Demon-like Gojira/Godzilla in the 2001 Shusake Kaneko "Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack") or a masked superhero (ex.: Batman and Robin, Wolverine, Spider-Man and the TMNT). But "Buzz" isn't supposed to be a baddie or former baddie and I doubt you'll be able to find a way to remove his mask and find more or less normal pupils underneath. The Loonatics are supposed to be like Henshin Heroes (ex. Ultraman, Kamen/Masked Rider, Super Sentai/Power Rangers). But none of the Henshin Heroes ever had transfomed forms that looked outright evil (as appossed to slightly emotionless-looking but heroic robotic appearances). The eviler-looking superheroes/anti-heroes like Spawn, Ghost Rider, etc. are very rarely. if ever, marketed intentionally at younger children. This show may scare lots of less mature children, get lots of soccer moms more upset than ever previously were about the Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies, be seen as kiddy and stupid by older children, and might only last 13 or so episodes.

I will become interested in it, though, if they have future descendants of more obscure LT and MM characters (maybe even some Tiny Toons and/or Animaniacs characters) like Bosko, Honey, Foxy, Roxy, Goopy Geer, Buddy, Cookie, Beans, Ham and Ex, "Little" Kitty, Tommy Turtle, Oliver Owl, Ms. Cud (SP?), Hubie, Bertie, Claude Cat, the 3 Bears, Cecil Turtle, Dodsworth, Benny the Cat, etc. Many modern revivals of Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies, regardless of how crappy they were otherwise, at least had some appearances by lesser-known golden age Warner toons. Let's review:

"Who Framed Roger Rabbit": The Dodo Bird from "Porky in Wackyland" and "Dough for the Do-Do". Look closly during the long scene of Eddie Valiant leaving the Maroon Cartoons studio and you'll find him near the very end.

Tiny Toon Adventures: Bosko, Honey, Foxy, Roxy (named for the first time!), Goopy Geer, Pete Puma, Henry Bear, Mama Bear, Juynier (sic) Bear, Hubie and Bertie and that short Southerner and Gossamer

Animaniacs: Buddy, Henry Bear and the Dover Boys

Slyvester and Tweety Mysteries: Mac and Tosh (the Goofy Gophers) and Sam Sheepdog and Hugo the Snowman

"Space Jam": Horton (or an elephant looking like him), Charlie Dog, Playboy Penguin, Hubie and Bertie, Sniffles, "Dawg". The DC Comics adaption had many more, like Clyde Rabbit and even the Sumo wrestler from "Bugs Bunny Nips the ***s".

90's shorts: "Carrotblanca" was full of them.

Video Games: they made a game for the Playstation, called "Sheep Raider", where you control........................................................ Ralph Wolf!

Webtoons: Cecil Turtle

DC Comics: Daffy Junior

Baby Looney Tunes: Melissa (the yellow female duck from "The Scarlet Pumpernickel" and other Daffy Duck cartoons) and a female pig who I assume is supposedly Petunia.

Larry Doyle shorts (anyone know where I can find that interview we had with Larry Doyle about 2 years ago in which he provides titles and short descriptions of every cartoon he had finished and/or was in the works? I'd like to see all finished Doyle LTs and maybe have the unfinished finished. I mean, they were made by David X. Cohen, Susie Dietter, etc. who were fresh from working on Futurama, one of the best American cartoons to mix comedy and character development almost seamlessly.): Petunia Pig

"Looney Tunes: Back in Action": Ham and Ex, and even though they aren't Looney Tunes, Scoobert "Scooby" Doo and Norville "Shaggy" Rogers (the DC Comics adaption had an older-looking Droopy Dog sitting with Charlie Dog instead of Shag and Scoob complaining to Matt Lillard).

Duck Dodgers: Nasty Canasta (the mean version. Not the more comedic version)

Wow, not even Disney brought back Julius/Mike the cat and/or Ike the mouse as a treat for the die-hard fans.

These designs kinda remind me of the ep. of PPG in which Buttercup was obssed with a Spawn-type demonic anti-hero, Blossom was obssed with a Wonder Woman-type heroine and Bubbles was obssed with a Hello Kitty-type cutesy bunny rabbit from a Japanese manga. Buttercup became Mange, who only went out at night; Blossom became Liberty Lady, whose Liberty Mobile got stuck in traffic; and Bubbles became Harmony Bunny, who keep saying "Harmoney Bunny is not slow, for its hop, hop, hop and away I go!" while slowly traveling on a pogo stick. In the end, it's the monster they were trying (extremly poorly) to beat who tells them that monsters who fight the PPG become legends back home on Monster Island, and that they don't need alter egos and non-Chemical X-related powers to be super and heroic. It's sad that so many toons like Tiny Toons (the Rambo-like rabbit getting erased in "The Looney Beginning" and the Arnold S.-type muscular bunny toy getting smashed to pieces in the Pinnochio homage/send-up), Animaniacs, Fairly OddParents (the action movie parody ep.), SpongeBob (the Justice League/Superfrends parody ep.), South Park (the Anime-type ninja one), the Simpsons (3 words: Itchy and Scratchy), Futurama (Zapp talking about sending wave after wave of his his own men to be hopelessly killed) and many more have made fun of dark action toons by making them even more pointless and humorless, and now, the Looney Tunes, who are suppossed to be funny no matter what problems society, culture, religion, polics, science, technology, etc. faces, have gone over to the "dark side" of action cartoons.

In closing thoughts, I wish Warner would let Spumco and/or the 2 Stupid Dogs/What a Cartoon!/Dexter's Lab/Cow and Chicken/I Am Weasel/Johnny Bravo/PowerPuff Girls/Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy/Evil ConCarne/Samurai Jack/Clone Wars/Foster's people do cartoons with the Warner and/or MGM toons. I mean the Cartoon Cartoon people have done great revivals and/or cameos of MGM and Hanna-Barbera characters like Secret Squirrel, Jetsons, Flintstones, Scooby-Doo, Peter Potamus, Grape Ape, Yogi Bear, Speed Buggy, Jonny Quest and Tom & Jerry, why not let them work with the best if they've proven themselves (at least in my eyes) more than worthy. John K. said in an interview back in 1988 that he and his MM:TNA contemparies could never equal the old Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies short subjects. But, it's been over a decade and a half since he said that, and things don't look too good for Spumco currently, unless Spike TV finally airs more Ren and Stimpy (they have 56 Ren and Stimpy eps. not counting the 5 that haven't been aired on Spike TV yet. Why don't they just re-run the previous Ren and Stimpy over and over again to please the many fans who are starved to get their Ren and Stimpy fix. I mean heavily promoting and showing Ren and Stimpy, as well as reruns of Star Trek: TNG and DS9, MXC and the various movies they show would get a lot of people interested in Spike, as those are the only regular shows on Spike that I have any interest at all in) and/or Paramount/Viacom releases more Ren and Stimpy (maybe they could release all 3 Games seasons and/or the 9 finished Adult Party eps., or dare I dream, release an uncut as possible version of seasons 1 & 2.) if only someone like Lyris from MOTLOS was a DVD producer/consultant for Spumco and/or Viacom/Paramount :sad: . Plus Genndy Tartoftsky (sic) is making an CGI/live-action (but mostly CGI) feature film version of Osamu Tezuka's Tetsuwan Atom/Astro Boy. Genndy is a HUGE Tezuka fan and will try to stick as close to the original manga origin story as close as possible. If this film becomes a big enough hit, maybe it will convince Warner that if Genndy could revive a Japanese toon well enough, he could do the same with some American toons.

#83 John Pannozzi, Feb 20, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2005
  4. Eddie G.

Eddie G. Former Wolf/Writer.

Eh.

I don't like the designs at all. I think LFV more or less reflected my feelings (Although in more elegant terms) that the designs just seem flat. Beyond that the designs seem to be taken to such a drastic extreme that it seems hard for these characters to emote.

I also don't like the preview clip. It just seemed lame and generic. That's what's amazing, you get these main cast designs that looks so bizzare and then you see a newscaster in the preview clip that just lookd painfully unoriginal and lacking in effort.

Final thoughts, this seems inappropriate. I like the idea of it, and it could end up great. But it just irks me to begin with and then doesn't offer anything to calm me down and look at it for its true value.

5. sdp

sdp miscrave

Well, lets think for a second, bugs bunny hasn't been marketable in years, most new generations probably don't even recognize the character anyway, unsuccessful revivals hadn't work so they did the next best thing, totally re-image the character.

It will bring media attention from everywhere since it is no longer the "classic" bugs, the new style might bring new viewers and could be a success. If it doesn't it's ok, regular Bugs wasn't making much money anyways and they can also go back to the old style.

So that is why they did it.

6. Jason Furness

Jason Furness Not Actually a Cat

P&tB fans will get this

Also coming this fall from Kids' WB:

Brain-Dude and Pinkasaur!
    Brain-Dude and Pinkasaur!
    They're mice!
    They fight!
    They're Crime-Fighting Lab Mice!

7. Woulfe

Woulfe I'm Just Dis Wolf See ?

It's New, It's Hip, It's What Kids Want....

[​IMG]

They might as well do this too lets face it the old logo has way to many curves on it & isn't NEW, HIP, ect with TODAYS market....

[ roll eyes ]

I think i'm gonna go be ill & not watch any TV this fall at all....

I just know if this thing fails TPTB will then bring out CGI versions of Bugs & Company because "see, no one in this day & age wants to see traditionaly animated cartoons" and i'll be ill all over again....

You've been warned of the future and stuff like this proves it =P

Woulfe
    * Who'll be watching the REAL Looney Tunes thanks to DVD *

8. Style

Style The Green Style Returns

JL stly: Hey Warners, I hope the Devil gave you a real good price on your collective souls. Because Loonatics could have been spawned no-where else but the pit of Hell!

*escapes back into the dimensional rift*

real stly: Why can't I keep up with that guy?

9. John Cage

John Cage Mystery Man, 666+ Posts Strong

Well that's an awfully negative, if not inaccurate, view of things.

I'm pretty sure that most kids today recognize Bugs Bunny. Heck, when I was eight or nine, I loved watching Bugs Bunny cartoons, and I'm willing to bet that if they were on TV more, kids would eat them up just the same. Besides, I'm sure that Bugs Bunny merchandise pulls in quite a bit still, even if the increase in quality, and quantity, of animation has eaten into it lately.

This update seems really unnecessary to me, and would probably suit a whole new franchise all together, but then there's the loss of a built-in audience, so... Whatever. It just seems kinda "Poochie" to me.

Have a good day then.
    John Cage
    (Mystery Man)

10. sdp

sdp miscrave

The key word is when you were. Animation has moved a long way and that style of humor is just not the same.

11. Cactusjack1999

Cactusjack1999 CNX's 100,000th Visitor

Well I've looked at the clip.

I hate the animation and I hate the concept.

But what I hate the most are people that say "They are killing the original bugs bunny!" "They are ruining an american icon"

ok then I assume that the 1991 "Super Looney Toons" happy meal promotion also killed bugs.

http://www.toyzdollz.com/mcdonalds/91_6b.htm

This is something that really get's to me. People jumping to conclusions.

THEY ARE NOT CHANGING THE ORIGINALS. THIS IS A SPIN OFF!!!!!

I'm not condoning it nor do I like it I just hate the stupid people that treat it like it's the end of the world.

12. sdp

sdp miscrave

Well it was WB that said they changed the image, and they knew they were going to get tons of free-propaganda from it.

13. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Not really. The eighties (when I grew up) had a different style of humor (unfunny) but the old Bugs Bunny cartoons were always standards. Styles and humor may change but the old Loony Tunes will always be funny.

Oh, and this new show? A bad joke that get less funny the longer you realize that they are actually going through with it.

14. sdp

sdp miscrave

I guess we'll disagree, because i don't think any kid nowadays will prefer slapstick humor over anything else, it might not be a great example but look at the opinions for SATAM and AoSTH.

15. HannaBarberaFan

"WE"??

WHAT "we"?

WHERE do ya GET "WE"?

I dunno about YOU , but *I* intend to TAPE the bugger....as I've got OODLES of OTHER things to do than to WILLFULLY SIT & WAIT to have MY intelligence insulted with this...BASTARDIZATION of a CLASSIC set of characters! :sad:

Wish it were the Twelfth Of NEVER!:shrug:

How can you POSSIBLY compare HANNA-BARBERA's "SWAT KATS" to....THIS??

At LEAST The BROTHERS TREMBLAY: CHRISTIAN & YVON were ORIGINAL in their creation of RAZOR , T-BONE, & Co. (Even if the art DID favor the ALEX LOVY/ED BENEDICT style of drawing, for the most part.....It was coming to you direct from 3400 Cahuenga Boulevard after all!:D )

But THIS?? And BUZZ BUNNY speaking with a DIRTY HARRY voice to boot?

Just :mad: is all that *I* am..

Put the blame FAIRLY & SQUARELY on the shoulders of Executive Producer SANDER SCHAWARTZ for green-lighting this travesty in the FIRST place!:mad:

And ya might as well throw TIME WARNER Head Man RICHARD PARSONS in the mix, too!

This would NOT be HAPPENING without HIS consent either!:mad:

16. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

The thing about Looney Tunes is that it WASN'T just slapstick. There was some great satire, pop-culture riffs (which are STILL usually recognizable) and a real anti-authoritarian bent. If the last (which is Looney Tunes most recognizable trait) is no longer considered funny by kids explain the popularity of Codename: Kids Next Door.

Kids tend to like watching cartoons no matter what era they were produced in. The only kinds of cartoons that really date themselves are the shows of the seventies and eighties. But I bet kids would still get a kick out of Bugs Bunny if he was shown more frequently.

Kids WB showed Bugs and Daffy quite frequently in the late nineties and it was popular. Don't tell me humor has changed much since then. There is no real different humor style between Rocko's Modern Life and Spongebob Squarepants.

17. Mek

Mek Digestive Juices

I just watched the preview clip.

.... I want my life back.

18. Steve Carras

Steve Carras SUGAR RUSH!!!!

Exactly the point of the in your face-ola "Poochie" 'tude, homeboy.:D

They think that THIIS is what an antiauthoritarian vcharacter needs.

BTW I think that therm is voersating it, Bugs's great WWII cartoons, which were VERY PRO=SOCIAL and patriotic, would not hbave had Bugs arttacking the Japanese,which are not just patrioit but conservative, or Bugs minding his own beeswax adterwards,or Sylvester being chastised by Granny,or FOggy paying his price for being a LOUDMOUTH COLONEL SANDERS dishiif the cartonists wanted to let 'em get away with being "anti-autohoritarian",. That last pterm would make Sander Schwartz says something like..,"See, thart's it. Andwe can go even one step better --make them edgy ands stuff."

BUgs doing pro-AMERICAN WORLD WAR II shorts just wouldn't have happened if he AHD been antri-autorhtarian..if that means "home front" anti-authoritarian..there WAS a real morality. Rocky and Bullwinkle, now that is a different story, buyt the Looney Tunes had a clean cut PRO-authoritarian agenda.

The streetwise attitude that hthey've been gvien (gangstaa rap tee-shirts, the HORRIBLE LT"BIA lines in the trailer an d now this ) show the anti-authoritarian angle was down pat..but the point is ZTOO much. They were antiscoial but not in a serious,SIMPSON political way but aufnny one.One the othr hand..WHAT'SOPERRA DOC anti-authoritarian? I'd stick with Art Davis's Daffy DUck, though he was a comic anti=estasblishment character and understnable about it--after all, wouldn't you hdie out in a department stoe, if open if sowed on (WHAT MAKES DAFFY DUCK).

But we all agree, "rebelliousness" is taken too far here. Maybe others woill foiddah elbaroeter

SC..

19. Anthonynotes

Anthonynotes Active Member

(Assuming I can remotely decipher what Steven Carras wrote correctly...)

I'm guessing the word "irreverent" might be a better choice than anti-authoritarian to describe the LTs--- Bugs certainly was still his usual self, even when he (and virtually every other entertainer in Hollywood in World War II) was promoting the war effort/pushing for War Bonds.

As for what was considered "patriotic," Bugs attacking stereotyped Japanese men was considered "patriotic" (or at least, no different than the rest of the pro-war propaganda Hollywood put out at the time) during the Second World War, a time when ethnic stereotypes were par for the course in American entertainment. (Granted, what the US Govt. did to Japanese-American citizens was far, far worse than anything Bugs did, but that's another topic...).

Uh, the point of this post? Um, no idea. But I get to put my kewl, groovy new computer...no more shall it take eons for Toonzone forums to load! :)

-B.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.