Toon Zone Talkback - FUNimation Announces New July Titles Including "Panty & Stocking with Garterbel

Discussion in 'The Anime Forum' started by Dr. Daedalus, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Dr. Daedalus

Dr. Daedalus I presume.

2. O-chan

O-chan Active Member

My only question is why we aren't getting a Blu-ray release for the show?

And sadly no One Piece yet!

O-chan

3. firecrouch

firecrouch A Pimp of Science!

They said at Anime Boston they have the BD rights for "Panty and Stocking"

4. Sarada

Sarada Reporter

Want to get that Hagane no Renkinjutsushi box set on Blu-ray once I get the monies~!

5. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Already got Ergo Proxy in preorder, that was the one Geneon property I really regretted missing before. Very glad they got the rights sorted out. Hoping that Story of Saiunkoku comes back too, we'll see.

Garterbelt was.....unique. Yeah. Gainax really cut loose with that one.

6. HG Revolution

HG Revolution Truth (with crazy opinions!)

So, does this mean we can expect to see Panty and Stocking on AS in June when the Kekkaishi rights expire?

7. Butterstar

Butterstar Bring Sakura back to the US!

I think it does. :)

By the way, for all of you Elite Video Subscribers, you guys can get your first taste of the dub in early May! Be sure to tell all us "free people" how it was!

8. PC!

PC! lolwut?

Guess we won't be getting new One Piece until the fall. Sadness.

9. GingaDaiuchuu

GingaDaiuchuu Active Member

I ordered Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt, even though I'm pissed it's not on Blu-ray. I'll get Ergo Proxy, Fractale, and Armitage if I ever don't have a backlog at some point.

More importantly, Geneon stuff is actually being released! That's something to celebrate.

10. Super Sonic

Super Sonic Fastest Thing Alive

Since when was August a part of the Fall? There's still time for an August release to be announced next month, especially since the dub is at/just finished Episode 233.

11. Shift

Shift Brave Warrior of the Sea

Exactly; autumn and August aren't the same. The bigger the buffer they can get, the less likely there will be delays longer than two months between voyages, and with any luck, a much shorter wait time for season 5.

12. GingaDaiuchuu

GingaDaiuchuu Active Member

13. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

The timing is about right though May would be more ideal for getting the show aired before all the episodes are on DVD.

It would take some serious stones to run it though and while it would not surprise me to see it air on AS it would be a dramatic change in policy. Even so... Black Dynamite followed by PSG is the kind of thing AS should have the stones to do.

14. KarlOlson

KarlOlson Art Imitates Life

That's such dumb business. That basically sabotages them in the international market in 2012, and while the numbers may support that in the short term since the Japanese market is what pays the bills, it ruins interest in physical media internationally in the long term. A shift towards streaming could drop their intake internationally by an order of magnitude. The risk of reverse importation is nominal relative to the risk of the international audience entirely moving to legal streaming, as even though it pays them some money, it's nothing like a physical release, even at the bargain basement international prices.

I mean, I would've been on a pre-order for P&S on Blu-Ray. Instead, I'll watch the dub when/if it streams, and then I'll wait until I get the release I want. If that hurts a domestic company I like, so be it. I can't actually help them with this by buying something less than optimal. It sends money back to Kadokawa and reinforces their short-sighted behavior.

I hope everyone else who wants Blu-Ray holds the line on this. Kadokawa needs to see a year where their titles don't move internationally since they feel like they can turn their nose up at the international market. Especially since the cost of buying into every streaming service to get hi-def streams is much less than buying even a couple series at the usual domestic MSRP, let alone buying one at the usual Japanese MSRP. Behavior like theirs encourages people to look elsewhere, and elsewhere while being entirely in the legal clear exists now.

15. Toonatic

Toonatic Active Member

I'm just gonna come out and say it; still waiting for Sgt. Frog Season 4.

16. Dr. Daedalus

Dr. Daedalus I presume.

A fair point. I had forgotten P&S had a BD release planned. I suppose I can hold out for a BD release; it's unfortunate that reverse importation fears put such a stranglehold on some series.

17. O-chan

O-chan Active Member

Personally since I already watched the entire series on Crunchyroll I'm going to go ahead and get the DVD release and possibly in the future get a Blu-ray release down the line. I think Funimation should possibly do some type of trade-in program for people who get this on DVD and prefer a Blu-ray later. Since it was the Japanese licensor who made this complication, I'd rather support Funi initially than waiting for Japan to get their mess together on this issue. Since we're not the primary audience and international sales are considered "extra" I don't see Japanese businesses being willing to change their practices anytime soon.

O-chan

18. Dr. Daedalus

Dr. Daedalus I presume.

As nice as that would be, keep dreaming; it won't happen.

19. KarlOlson

KarlOlson Art Imitates Life

20. Dr. Daedalus

Dr. Daedalus I presume.

Different companies and different scenarios (i.e. upgrading from subtitled only to bilingual vs. upgrading from DVD to Blu-ray), so apples and oranges. AFAIK, FUNi hasn't yet offered a rebate program for those who buy a DVD version and want to upgrade to a later Blu-ray version. I wouldn't give your hopes up.