1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Toon Zone Talkback - Bugs Bunny Getting Live Action/CG Film Treatment

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by Nexonius, Aug 12, 2010.

1. FFmax

FFmax Pangoro's Bizarre Adventure

WTF? That's all I can say about this decision.:confused: Oh and this picture too.

[​IMG]

2. Zen Man

Zen Man Active Member

If anything at least Mel Blanc, Chuck Jones, Friz Freling, Robert McKimson and the other Golden Age WB artist won't have to witness this potential trainwreck.

God rest their souls.

3. cartoonscartoons

cartoonscartoons I cant help it, if I'm lucky

I really hope you are joking, please tell me you are joking...:sweat:

4. Astrolupine

Astrolupine Man on the wing.

Imagine the horror of Kevin James being casted as Fudd, or Jeff Foxworthy as Sam... oh poop, I should have kept my mouth shut.

5. HG Revolution

HG Revolution Truth (with crazy opinions!)

You know, if this was JUST CG, I'd give it a chance. Bugs could potentially work in cartoony CG, something stylized like a Pixar short crossed with Despicable Me. Hell, just throw some wisecracks into Presto and you have yourselves a good Bugs Bunny cartoon.

But another sure-to-be-uncanny-valley live-action/CG hybrid... You know, this might just destroy my will to live. You know, I can't think of a single idea that might be worse. Baby Looney Tunes and Loonatics Unleashed could be easily brushed aside as kiddy crap, but WB almost certainly is going to push this massacre as a giant summer blockbuster for everyone, and I just...

[​IMG]

6. Rusakov

Rusakov Member

*sigh* :sad:

I've known about this for a few days but just thinking about the news is giving me headaches. I'm glad to see that there are quite a few people against this, but we have to make those people count.

I know of a Facebook petition against this film, but I don't know if I would be allowed to post it.

As for a reaction picture.

[​IMG]

#86 Rusakov, Aug 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2010
  7. Philmister978

Philmister978 Alvight, you vin

My anger and hatred towards these guys can only be summed up with this picture:
    [​IMG]

In all seriousness though, I really don't look forward to this in anyway. ILM on board? Screw that. Professional voice actor voicing Bugs? No way. Writers that know what they're doing? Maybe but definitely a 99% never.

You never screw over a children/adult icon in any way possible. Space Jam was boring and an excuse to sell more merchandise. BIA was decent enough due to good animation, acting and jokes (as well as the guy who directed Gremlins on the helm), but not great. But this, just the idea of a horrid looking CGI Bugs in the real world just makes my mind explode in so much Gory detail that if I even go into it, I'd be banned from this site.

8. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

[​IMG]

I think this is a bad idea. Of all the fads the film industry have been doing, this is the worst. But so long as children or whoever continue to see those kind of movies, they'll just keep making them.

9. Rusakov

Rusakov Member

10. Blankments

Blankments The Sparkle Rises!

I just joined and I hope more people do. It is really sad that this is happening.

11. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

I actually don't think it would be that bad if it stayed faithful to the Looney Tunes and is not about Bugs getting lost in the human world.

12. cognitofalcon

cognitofalcon G'night evry' body!!

Wow, another failed atempt at art. Liveaction cgi movies usualy don't turn out well. And the models don't normaly look good. They look disgusting

Attached Files:

13. Kiddington

Kiddington tut tut

I can only imagine the voice actors they'll choose for this movie.

While conventional wisdom would say they'd, at least, try to make it somewhat authentic, and go with actual VA's that know how to make a Looney Tunes character sound the right way, the reality of the situation points out that slapping Joe Alaskey and Bob Bergen's name on a movie poster isn't going to sell extra tickets among the casual movie going public. It might make the actual Looney Tunes fans happy, but this movie isn't meant to appeal to them at all; otherwise, it wouldn't even be made in the first place.

Remember; the last Looney Tunes movie (Back in Action) bombed, so they'll be looking at any and all attempts to prevent that from happening again. If that means taking on a bunch of two-bit hacks to do the voices, in the hopes that the public will go and out and say "Hey! I know that guy! He was in *insert movie name*. I think I'll go and see this here Looney Tunes because he's in it", you better believe that's what they'll do.

I mean, why else do we always see non-VA's always get big movie roles? You can't possibly tell me Justin Timberlake was the most qualified guy to be cast in the Yogi Bear movie; his name is there to sell tickets, plain and simple. That's ultimately what I'll fear will happen with this movie; not only will the movie itself stink, but we'll probably be stuck with Will Smith and Brad Pitt doing the voice over roles as well (because their "names")... and that's just sick.

14. OriginalGagBonke

OriginalGagBonke Fan of 2-D animation.

I can see the headlines of this thing now, it gets panned to the point of it being in the negative numbers. Cartoonists from all around criticize at Warner Bros for this being a poor choice and an insult to the golden age of animation. Oh and Dudley, your comic made it onto cartoonbrew.
    http://www.cartoonbrew.com/comics/the-sunday-funnies-82210.html

15. Zorak Masaki

Zorak Masaki Active Member

Actually, Transformers didnt exactly use well-known actors for the robots and that did well (do you think the average man on the street knows who peter cullen is?), so maybe they'll do the same thing and hope bugs sells this film on its own.

16. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

17. Philmister978

Philmister978 Alvight, you vin

True, heck the only TF in the movies to even be voiced by a well known celeb was Megatron (the Fallen can also be included to an extent). All the others were done by professionals.

Anyways, what Kiddington says is true. Since BIA flopped, they might try to get some star to do Bugs' voice. Though I'd at least be marginally happy if an actual voice actor did the part. I still wouldn't see it, but at least I'd be happy.(actual meaning a normal and relatively unknown actor, which is pretty much every voice actor to the majority of the public)

18. Spideyzilla

Spideyzilla Well-Known Member

A terrible decision, I don't see how this could even be decent. If Warner Brothers (the studio I have lost all respect for) wanted to make a Bugs Bunny movie, what's wrong with a hand drawn movie?

My thoughts exactly.

19. Kiddington

Kiddington tut tut

Technically, they already did... twice.

The first time (Space Jam) it worked... well, at least financially, it did. The second time (Back in Action) it didn't. In fact, BIA failed quite miserably (if I'm remembering this correctly, in the end, it lost well over 40 million dollars).

Naturally, it only takes one movie like BIA to lose as much money as it did to convince Warner that a new direction needs to be taken with the franchise, even if that new direction basically spits on the loyal fanbase of golden age animation in the process. They don't care about us, though; they care about the all-mighty dollar, and if they think this movie is a way to make quick money by stricking a chord with a general audience, there's nothing to stop them from going through with it.

Can you name any other movie franchises, besides Tranformers and (up until this point) Looney Tunes, that have used traditional voice actors in favor of big-name celebs?

Honestly, I can't. Most of these movie companies like to market people like Miley Cyrus doing voices in their finalized product, because they're hoping they can get a chunk of out of this particular persons fanbase to buy a ticket, and see said film.

As great as I think VA's like Rob Paulsen and Jim Cummings are, the reality is that these guys aren't marketable names to slap on a movie poster. Nobody, outside of true animation fans, knows who they are. That's ultimately why I feel Warner will do what so many companies (especially Dreamworks) have done before, and cave in to the idea of letting celebs do the voice overs for this Bugs movie, in hoping that having their names tied to it will help to sell tickets.

20. OriginalGagBonke

OriginalGagBonke Fan of 2-D animation.

Hey Kiddington, I got two things for ya. First off. Disney has a heart for voice actors. If you look the great mouse detective they have Charles Fleischer and Wayne Allwine voiced minor characters, and Jim cummings voiced that fire-fly in princess and the frog. Secondly some animated films are bound to have voice actors{professional ones} but however voicing minor characters. Rob Zombie's el superbeasto was loaded with minor characters voiced by pros in the voice acting biz. Such as Rob Paulsen, Charles Adler.