Too much Fantastic Voyage parodies

Discussion in 'The Cartoon Network/Boomerang Cartoon Forum' started by rmarti3926, Nov 13, 2004.

1. rmarti3926

rmarti3926 Enforcing galatic law

How many "Fantastic Voyage" parodies on CN we got this year? It looks like a trend!

2. ktoriyama

ktoriyama Darkness in light

Old News

This was already discussed on the main ToonZone Forum. Fantastic Voyage ranks up there with Star Wars.

3. Sharklady

Sharklady New Member

A FV parody also showed up on the Simpsons' most recent 'Treehouse Of Horror' episode. They even featured Marge in a revealing bathing suit (Mr. Asimov liked to include stuff to maintain his reputation as a 'dirty old man'.) :rolleyes:

4. maximumzero

maximumzero A Custom What Now?

Fantastic What now?

5. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Steven Sword!

Cartoon characters do a lot of shrinking and going inside someone's body. That plot is a cliche itself, and not necessarily referencing a 60's movie every single time.

6. maximumzero

maximumzero A Custom What Now?

Oh...yeah. That's been around since the beginning of time.

It's rather weird and freaky, at that. :sweat:

7. Numbuh 4

Numbuh 4 Teh classic avatar

I don't like shrinking of any kind in tv. It's just stupid. And I haven't even seen Fantastic Voyage. But I suppose every tv show where someone has the power to shrink, they'll do that...

~:knd4:
    Just like that, I've killed the thread.

8. Zach Williams

Zach Williams New Member

I think you mean Animation forum. right? Anyway,they do get annoying after all these.

9. ktoriyama

ktoriyama Darkness in light

Hmmmmm

So that's what it was called. Thanks.

10. STARTOUNZ

STARTOUNZ Best buds since the Stone Age

What about The Fly?!?

I think about the only thing that's been more overdone than shrinking (if not the Fantastic Voyage kind) would be having a character mix his DNA with that of a housefly. This has been done with cartoons as far back as the Pink Panther, and more recently with the Simpsons (in another Treehouse of Horror episode), Goof Troop, and Johnny Bravo, among those I can remember right now.

11. Zach

Zach New Member

Yeah, to many to count...

12. Dr. Daedalus

Dr. Daedalus I presume.

But has anyone done an Innerspace parody yet? ;)

"I'M POSSESSED!!!!"

13. Rover_Wow

Rover_Wow New Member

If that's another movie where some shrunk guy gets injected into someone, how would it be diff from Fantastic Voyage?

The closest I can come up with is the Dexter's Lab Fantastic Voyage fling. He's supposed to be inside Deedee, but can't figure out why she's slurping from the toilet (hint: he's in the dog). "Similarly", Dennis Quaid's supposed to be inside a rabbit, but at least he figures out fairly quickly that he's in another human.

And apropos of nothing, Dexter's supposed to be smart, but can't figure out things that anyone with common sense could figure out in no time flat? Besides the aforementioned Voyage, he (and his friends) can't figure out that they're at a doll convention instead of their sci-fi convention? Just one reason I don't like Dexter.

14. wrenchien

wrenchien New Member

enough with fantastic voyage, isn't it time for some forbidden planet parodies by now?

15. Dudley

Dudley Moderator

They made hundreds of cartoons that involves characters shrinking, but only few that involve them going into the body.
    Rugrats, Ahhh! Real Monsters, I. M. Weasel, Family Guy, and the Magic School Bus (who did it twice) come to mind.
    Can you name any others?

16. STARTOUNZ

STARTOUNZ Best buds since the Stone Age

Innerspace itself was a parody of Fantastic Voyage. So does that mean you're wondering if they've done a parody of a parody? Personally, I enjoyed that movie. :)

I think overall though, the shrinking theme is pretty entertaining. It just depends on how its done. And not that many are done in the fashion of Fantastic Voyage. One of the overall best I've seen was in an episode of the New Adventures of Huck Finn called "Strange Experiment" (you can click on the second link below my signature, or better yet this link: http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/GuidePageServlet/showid-4926/epid-270207/ ). This I found particularly interesting since it mixed live-action with animation. I hope Boomerang will get around to airing that particular episode just so more viewers can see how good it was.