Tomboys in cartoons

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by Radical, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Radical

Radical The Face of Evil & Epicness!!!!!

In all your favorite cartoons, who're some of the tomboys you know in cartoons who've watched which I wonder why girls want to be so tough/macho like guys?

Here's a few that I know:
    Spinelli(Recess)
    Buttercup(Powerpuff Girls)
    Francine/Molly(Arthur)
    Leela(Futurama)- I think she is with her kicking butt all the time/wrestling with Amy.
    Misty(Pokemon/Pokemon comics)
    Akane(Ranma 1/2)
    Ryoko(Tenchi Muyo!)
    Naru/Motoko(Love Hina)
    Sakura(Naruto)
    Tia/Naomi(Zatch Bell!)
    Tatsuki(Bleach)
    Eclair(Kiddy Grade)

#1 Radical, Feb 4, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2007
  2. nwm2112

nwm2112 Member

Gosalyn Mallard (Darkwing Duck)

3. Rasputin

Rasputin Self-Declared Expert

I think Toph from Avatar: The Last Airbender pretty much takes the cake as far as tomboys go. While she's still hiding her own deep-seated vulnerabilities, she's more than capable of backing up her attitude with some nigh-on apocalyptic ass-kickery.

4. Wussycat

Wussycat Active Member

Lor from The Weekenders. There's actually an explanation for why she's a tomboy. She has about 10 brothers, and I don't remember seeing a mother.

5. Bubblegum Girl

Bubblegum Girl Magic User Wannabe

Riley from The Replacements seems pretty much like a tomboy.(I think :sweat: )

6. Bad Asp

Bad Asp Come fly with us!

Babs from Tiny Toon Adventures and Jade from Jackie Chan Adventures are two more I can think of.

7. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

Pan From Dragonball GT (although a horrible, horrible character type she is a Tomboy technically)
    Kiva (Megas XLR)
    Reggie (Rocket Power though every main character on that show's into extreme sports and the like)

8. Kagetsu

Kagetsu Hooligan

I kinda disagree with these. Though they are aggressive girls, they're often flirty and very girly.

Toph definitely, and I'd add Suki and to an extent, Katara too.

Irma from Witch, series

Molly, Oban StarRacers, except when she's around Aika.

Yumi, Code Lyoko

Kim Possible

What was the name of the pink haired girl from Batman Beyond?

And Ophelia in TLaTo Juniper Lee.

9. Cali-Bunny

Cali-Bunny Guest

I wouldn't say so. She's very flirty, although tough. None of the W.i.t.c.h. girls are really that tomboy-ish (is that a word?).

I'd have to say Musa from Winx Club and possibly Lexi from Loonatics Unleashed.

10. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Unrepentant Hippie

I agree for the most part, except for Misty. Maybe I'm a little nitpicky in terms of tomboyish characters, but here's some things to consider:

1)She's terrified beyond belief of bugs.
    2)In the episode "Pokemon Fashion Flash", she apparantly loves fashion and thinks heart shaped barettes in her hair and pink goop on her face is "cute". Yecch....:shrug:
    3)She walks around in short shorts and a belly shirt. I know it's anime, and a lot of anime girls dress like that, but still....
    That's just my opinion, but I digress....

I think Helga from Hey Arnold! can be considered a tomboy. Her clothes are a bit girly, but her behavior and interests say it all.

11. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

In the games in front of her gym it does say "Misty the tomboyish mermaid" but I don't think of her as a tomboy.

12. Cullen

Cullen Member

Jane from Jane and the Dragon really wants to be a knight and refuses to wear a fancy dress.

13. STARTOUNZ

STARTOUNZ Best buds since the Stone Age

That's Max. And you could include Numbuh 5 on Codename: Kids Next Door. Both characters are voiced by Cree Summer.

14. tb4000

tb4000 Active Member

A lot of these girls are tomboys basically because most of their friends are guys. A girl that acts girly with a lot of guy friends is basically seen as well...slutty.

15. Tea

Tea >:D

Peppermint Patty (Peanuts).

16. Gokou Ruri

Gokou Ruri Wielder of the dark arts.

Disagree. As said she's the most flirty girl in the comics (and her huge crush on Andrew Hornby in the cartoon contributes a lot too) with Cornelia being second in terms of "most girl-like"

If anyone's the tomboy it's Will, because of her love of athletics, I'd say.

17. shoujoaifan

shoujoaifan Active Member

And she often dresses the part, aside from the transformation outfit.

More characters:

That show Dinozaurs, a short lived show about CGI transforming robot dinosaurs, a Transformers knock-off, had a red-head tomboy.

Let's not forget one of the one famous anime tomboys of all time, Utena Tenjoh from Revolutionary Girl Utena. More of a prince than most of the guys at her school!

And last but not least, the Digimon tomboys, Sora (well, in 01 anyway) and Ruki/Rika (one of my favorite characters of all time). Chiaki Konaka, the head writer of Digimon Tamers (also behind shows, like Serial Experiments Lain and Big O) has a website featuring information on the various shows he's worked on, simply named http://www.konaka.com/

I won't spoil alot of his kickin' site, or the trains of thoughts that went into his shows, but I'll give you a couple of cool tibbits:

1. As much as its often stated as such, Ruki not having her father around often did not result in her personality, Konaka just wrote it that way since he did research on families and wanted to represent single-parent families, like how Jianliang "Jian"/Henry, who is half Japanese and half Chinese, respresented immigrants and their children.

The movie focusing on her and her relationship with her father was done without Chiaki Konaka's input, but two people who workd on the series with him, Mr. Tetsuharu Nakamura, an assistant director on the show during the 3rd arc, and director of the film, and Mr. Hiro Masaki, a regular writer on the show and screenwriter on the movie, made sure the movie matched the series as much as possible, so it works. (And making it easier to place it in continuity with the show is icing on the cake!

2. The staff's nickname for Ruki behind scenes was "Pineapple-Head" :D

#17 shoujoaifan, Feb 6, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2007
  18. Skeeter

Skeeter Roving Wanderer

I'd like to second this with a "hell, yes".

-Kim

19. Kagetsu

Kagetsu Hooligan

Flirty? Really? Is Andrew Hornby in the series? I don't remember him. This is why I put "series" in it. Both Irma and Will are rather different in the comics. Will doesn't seem to do any sports in the show, sad because her swimsuit is cute. While Irma in Framed goes for jousting and is recognized by the others from her "aggressive attitude". Has she ever been shown in a dress? On pictureday and at Will's party she wore pants, though the one shoulder top was cute. ;)

20. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

Francine Frensky (Arthur)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.