Tomboys and Girly Girls

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by Alonso Torrejon, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Alonso Torrejon

Alonso Torrejon Member

Miss Martian/Artemis/Zatanna/Wonder Girl (Young Justice) - Miss Martian and Zatanna are heroines with a sweet personality while Artemis and Wonder Girl are heroines who love to fight.

Raven and Starfire (Teen Titans) - Starfire is a sweet heroine though she's not familiar with Earth customs, thus mis-using terms like "kicking the butt". Raven is extremely serious and uses magic necessarily.

Lucy Mann and Gwen Tennyson (Ben 10 series) - Lucy Mann is a girly girl who likes to play pranks (mostly on Gwen) but still has the smarts which is why she's been declared the first Sludgepuppy/Lenopan Plumber. Gwen Tennyson is tomboy heroine who fights her enemies with the magic of an Anodite.

2. Cartoon Ruler

Cartoon Ruler I Feel Happy!

Ami and Yumi from Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi. The former is a optimistic genki girl who loves rainbows, boys, makeup, shopping, cute animals and the color pink. The latter is a snarky gothic girl who likes ninjas, manga, monster trucks, car crushers and the color purple.

Lois and Bonnie from Family Guy is another. Lois can be tough when it comes to fighting ("Baby, You Knock Me Out"), is more level headed and masculine than Peter and very sassy. Bonnie is more sensitive, has a soft voice and acts more like a Mary Stu.

Also, there's Buttercup and Bubbles from The Powerpuff Girls. Buttercup is loud, hot-headed and violent while Bubbles is more gentle, sweet and naive.

3. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Active Member

What about Numbuhs 3 and 5 from Kids Next Door? Numbuh 3 is a girly girl that into stuffed animals and pretty much anything cutesy. Numbuh 5 is a tomboy who even wore a suit (as opposed to a dress) to a formal dance.

4. Radical

Radical The Face of Evil & Sadism!!!!!

Here's a few great likable tomboys and girly girls,

Didi and Betty(Rugrats/All Grown Up) - Didi is kind, sweet, and caring and Betty is a tough, strong, masculine woman.

Lor and Tish(The Weekenders) - Lor is tough, strong, spoiled, bratty, jerky/witchy, and loves sports and Tish is kind, funny, sweet, and caring.

Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy(My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic) - Rainbow Dash is brave, tough, bold, obnoxious, jerky/witchy, and loves sports which are the Equestria Games.Fluttershy is sweet, gentle, innocent, kind, shy, caring, and soft spoken, I feel sorry for her though.

Lum and Ryuunosuke(Urusei Yatsura) - Lum is sweet, kind, ditzy, caring, and also scary which I root for her to kick the unlikable perverted butthole Ataru's butt, hahahahaha.Ryuunosuke is tough, strong, brave, scary, and loves to fight.

Orihime and Tatsuki(Bleach) - Orihime is sweet, kind, caring, ditzy, and funny which I enjoy her funny scenes.Tatsuki is tough, strong, brave, obnoxious, jerky/witchy, and loves sports which is karate.

Konoka and Setsuna(Negima!/!?) - Konoka is kind, sweet, caring, and ditzy while Setsuna is tough, strong, powerful, good-hearted, and an excellent strong samurai fighter which it's awesome of her to protect Konoka, both Konoka/Setsuna's friendship chemistry was so great/adorable.

Yoko and Nia(Gurren Lagann) - Yoko is tough, strong, brave, and an excellent shooter/sniper/fighter.Nia is very polite, sweet, naive, caring, and funny which she's so like Starfire which is epic:D.

Both Betty DeVille, Francine Frensky, Buttercup, Lor, Rainbow Dash/Applejack, Ryuunosuke(Urusei Yatsura), Ryoko(Tenchi Muyo!), Karin/Tatsuki/Apacci, and Yoko Littner were my favorite awesome cute tomboys as much as tough women are so great/interesting for me.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2014
  5. Spaceman

Spaceman I Am Here

Avatar Korra and Asami Sato (Legend of Korra)

It's really unfortunate that it took two seasons' worth of love triangles before they developed a genuine friendship. Aside from the natural chemistry they have together (which is infinitely more than Mako ever had with either of them as a love interest), the implicit social dynamics between them -- as two young women thrust into leadership roles which encapsulate the intersection of spirituality and technology in the modern Avatarverse -- is something that really interests me and wish that the writers would fully explore.

6. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of 7000+ Posts

Speaking of that world Spaceman, whiy not look to the original show for another pair? Avatar the last Airbender had a variation of that with Katara and Toph Beifong. This was especially played in their sort of focus episodes (like their segment from "Tales of Ba Sing Se") of Katara being more delicate, feminine and girly with Toph being more of a straightforward, dirty brute. Of course the best examples of these mis match pairs also have them grow by actually getting along and getting to know one another and being friends which is what happened here. A lot of peple seem to actually think that "The Runaway" was a backtrack of their previous friendship, but to me it shows the next evolution. It's one thing to argue over basic things not understanding someone or even bonding as friends, but it's truly something seeing a relationship grow where the two friends are arguing actually knowing the other person and what they're like and judging them for it, even though they kind of want some of those qualities as well. That to me is a good example of this trope and one where the personalities really go past their supposed stereotype.

I think another one good one though not as deep would be Leela and Amy of Futurama. Technically I suppose both could act a bit like either a tomboy or girl girl but Leela was typically characterized as the strong, proud no nonsense leader while Amy was the goofy, klutzy party girl. Both at least did have some good moments of friendship and heck though some look down on the later episodes of Futurama on Comedy Central I give them props for actually trying to advance the characters, like remembering Amy was actually training to be a sicentist which was something I thought the show had sort of forgotten about.

7. Mister Mayhem

Mister Mayhem Active Member

Cohorts,

only other one i can think of besides the examples above is bubbles and buttercup from the power puff girls. this is a bit harder than i thought it would be...

8. Alonso Torrejon

Alonso Torrejon Member

There's another Tomboy and Girly Girl pair in the Avatar franchise.

Mai and Ty Lee - Former friends of Princess Azula. Mai is the tomboy who's always serious. Despite that, she and Zuko have gone steady. Ty Lee is the Girly Girl who's energetic and agile.

9. Silverstar

Silverstar Ah, No.

I see that, although Mai always struck me as more of a Goth type than a tomboy.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2014
  10. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Active Member

Some of the so-called tomboy characters listed aren't really tomboys, Raven, Ophelia, and Mai are gothic not tomboys.And while Gwen isn't girly-girl she isn't exactly a tomboy either, infact her cousin isn't a girly-girl too and has only pranked and do a great job as a plimber.

11. Gear3dGryph0n

Gear3dGryph0n Member

How could you mention Francine without Muffy Crosswire?

Well, one need only look at at least one picture to know how different they outwardly look. The differences are not only in that Francine prefers sports and hanging out with the guys as opposed to Muffy's interests in fashion and social life, but also in their social standing as well (while Francine comes from a more working-class background, Muffy comes from money). However, in spite of their differences, they happen to be two of the best friends on the show, and I find their episodes together very enjoyable.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2014
  12. JesseCuster

JesseCuster Figment of Your Imagination

Toph and Katara (Avatar: The Last Airbender): Toph was always seen as the tomboy type that loved to fight while Katara was the girly type, who developed into one of the best fighters in the show.

I kind of liked the clashing of the two personalities even though they were on the same team. They both represented the spirit of where they came from. Toph's rugged attitude from the Earth Kingdom while Katara's gentle flowing nature came from the Water Tribe. The idea first arose during "The Chase" and touched upon again in "Tales of Ba Sing Se". They finally came to blows in "The Runaway".

13. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo We're not cousins!

In what reality is Raven a tomboy? She's a Goth if there ever was one. Being serious minded and wielding magic aren't traits which are commonly associated with being a tomboy. Also, Starfire may be a "girly-girl" personality wise, but she's also a trained and highly skilled warrior.

I'm surprised that no one's mentioned Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy or Applejack and Rarity from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic yet.

14. Mostezli

Mostezli Member

Steven Universe: Amethyst & Pearl
    Adventure Time: Marceline, for sure, & PB, only by design?
    LoK's & MLP's have already been mentioned.
    Littlest Pet Shop: Pepper + Minka & Zoe + Penny
    Gravity Falls: Wendy & Mabel

15. ShadowBeast

I think Mabel is in a catergory of her own^^

16. Bakuformer00

Bakuformer00 New Member

Jo and every other march sister from the little women anime
    Hii and koume from hanamaru kindergarten
    miu and Hina from papa-kiki
    i know they are anime but anime is technically a cartoon!:)

17. ShadowBeast

But what are they? tomboys? or girly girls?

18. Silverstar

Silverstar Ah, No.

Anime are cartoons, plain and simple. If it's drawn and animated, then it's a cartoon. Nothing technical about it. Originating from Japan doesn't somehow make an animated production different from a cartoon.

And I really don't want to sound like a jerk, but your posts would carry a lot more weight if you would actually take the time to explain your choices rather than just rattling off a list of names with no discussion behind them. Which category do these characters fall into, and why? You need to clue us in instead of assuming that everyone instantly knows what you're talking about. We're not mind readers.