1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Tom & Jerry Heading to the Big Screen!

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by Old Guy, Jan 22, 2009.

1. peterg14

peterg14 Full of Stuff

I'd rather wait for a trailer or more information about the movie before I call this movie the Apocalypse. I didn't mind them talking in the first movie, it was just the terrible script. So even if they talk, I wouldn't mind it, just have a good script.

2. stargirl

stargirl Active Member

:lol:

Can you imagine if Indiana Jones would make an actual cameo in the new film? Unprecedented and awesome.

3. NewcomerDC

NewcomerDC Active Member

Sorta like the Indiana Jones and The Mummy crossover but then we found out it was Harrison Ford and Brenden Fraser in a film where they're playing doctors....any crossover with Indiana Jones or anyone that looks rremotely like him like Gerard Butler in Nim's Island wouldn't happen unless it was a fanfic.

4. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

As Garbanzo and Tednut have stated, there's already a thread about this in the Entertainment forum, but I think you're a little misguided here.

It's not a sad day just because the characters of Tom and Jerry will be rendered in CGI. How T&J are going to be rendered is irrelevant. What's scaring me is the ghost of Hollywood's previous attempt to give T&J a movie. Tom & Jerry: the Movie (1992) was all hand-drawn animation, and it sucked, daring to treat T&J like supporting players in their own movie. My big fear is that this flick will be a repeat of that travesty.

CGI won't matter a bit if it's a solid script that treats the characters properly.

5. Itchy

Itchy Scratchy's enemy

This sounds horrible. They might as well go all the way and hire Uwe Boll to direct it.

6. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk Worse than one of those little blue crunchy things

Tom and Jerry are only in this movie because they're recognizable icons.

Didn't they make this movie back in 1993 with REAL animals and call it Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey? Or am I thinking of its SEQUEL?

7. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Fourteen Years!

It's funny how this thread is titled "Tom & Jerry Heading to the Big Screen!" when the duo spent almost three nonstop decades in theaters. :p

8. Leviathan

Leviathan "It's against nature!"
    Staff Member Moderator

If this movie convinces Warner to put out a complete, restored, uncut DVD collection of the old shorts, then it will be totally worth it. If not, it's still a disposable kiddie flick at the end of the day.

An besides, shoehorning Tom and Jerry into the Jimmy Hart version of the Rescuers was already a low bar to set for a theatrical T&J film. How much worse can this one be?

9. sun

sun You stay, I go

Oh NO...Not again...

Tom and Jerry again..If you look at the MGM toons from the 40s and 50s, everything else looks kinda sick. Perhaps on life support.
    Maybe they will someday make a remake of Daffy and Bugs in "Rabbit Season." and claim it is funny. " It is now on the big screen", they will say.

As Darth Gonzo said, "Where were these toons for 20 years?" You know Hanna and Barbara made some great toons, and now we settle for computer generated imitations. And what for?

Well, if even poorly done, it will gross one hundred million, maybe more. kinda sad:yawn:

10. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

The concern with this movie shouldn't be the computer animation. That's beside the point. The concern should be the story and the execution. This whole "Computer animation is the devil" rhetoric is getting staler than a week-old roll. Why do people keep assuming that this film will automatically be terrible just because there's going to be CG in it? Tom & Jerry: The Movie was all hand-drawn animation, and we all saw what a cinematic masterpiece that was.

My big concern is whether this T&J movie will just be a repeat of what happened with Tom & Jerry: The Movie. As long as the story isn't mule stupid, and Tom and Jerry are actually the stars of the piece, and not tossed to the side in favor of some orphan searching for her gazillionaire adventurer father and a bunch of other weirdos and forgettable cipher characters, then it won't matter to me one iota if they're in CGI.

11. TheTerror

TheTerror Active Member

Everything has to be CG these days, how sad, I miss movies with standard animation and it seems they are becoming more and more rare in favor for CGI crap.

12. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

In defense of The Flintstones, it was only Dino and some of the other prehistoric animals that were rendered in CG. Fred, Wilma, et al, were live actors.

Also, as it's been said a few times here before, hand drawn animation is not dead, nor is CGI going to eventually replace all other forms of animation. That's nothing more than paranoid speculation. People also thought that movies would die when television was invented, but you'll notice that movies are still being made decades later.

That being said, while I also would have preferred traditional hand drawn animation for the new T& J movie, I'm a tad curious to at least see how Tom & Jerry will look in CGI. As long as T&J don't look like weird anthropomorphic blobs like in the CG rendered Garfield films, it may not be all bad. Of course, the real concern should be the script. Hopefeully, this film's producers won't make the misatkes that were made with Tom & Jerry: The Movie and keep the story consistent with the original shorts. It may just be a CG rendered Tom and Jerry in a live action world in which the humans only appear as legs and feet, like in most of the MGM shorts. I don't see how that could made into a 90 minute feature, but movies have been made about even less.

13. tb4000

tb4000 Active Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Cortez2301

Cortez2301 Active Member

They should shelve the project.They are just ruining it for everyone.Tom and Jerry should have died when the classic animated shorts died. They spoiled things for kids and adults with the new series and movies they made after that.No way will this movie work.

15. ~Shoяe

~Shoяe Mature Immaturity

a tom and jerry origin story. wow. what an amazing idea! Theres just so much to say about a cat and a mouse and how they started fighting . I can't wait for this [/sarcasm]

16. dendawg

dendawg RIP Dusty :(

And here I thought the Dragonball movie was the worst toon to live action film idea ever (yes, I do know about the asian DB film) ....leave it to Hollywood to always prove me wrong. :p

17. Craig Crumpton

Craig Crumpton This is a close-up?

Tom & Jerry have actually been rendered in CGI before for a few video games.

I usually avoid threads like this whenever a new live-action or CG version of some classic or vintage cartoon is announced. I know fans and animation enthusiasts are going to hate the idea, but just because a movie gets made doesn't mean you have to go watch it. And studios don't generally make these kind of movies for fans anyway. Fans are more of an afterthought. But they're usually for the kiddies or family-friendly fare. They know that even if it doesn't do well at the box office, it will turn a profit on DVD/Blu-Ray.

It's all about the money.

18. Eric B

Eric B Active Member

Kind of sounds like a prequel to the first movie!

There was also a video of some French commercial with a CGI Tom & Jerry online a few years ago, and it looked interesting. (Forgot whether the backgrounds were live or CG).

19. warnerbroman

warnerbroman Active Member

how? I here he dose not review things post 2000

20. Daxdiv

Daxdiv Does this look like the face of mercy?

:confused:! Dude, it's a joke to the NC review of the Tom and Jerry Movie.

But him not reviewing anything post-2000 is news to me.