1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Tom & Jerry Heading to the Big Screen!

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by Old Guy, Jan 22, 2009.

1. creativerealms

creativerealms Active Member

It was not Tom and Jerry talking that bothered me it was their voices that bothered me.

2. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

Well, I could take or leave Dana Hill's voicing of Jerry (Hill always sounded pretty much the same whatever character she was doing), but I actually thought Richard Kind's voice fit Tom. That's pretty much how I'd always envisioned Tom sounding like, even before I had any idea who Richard Kind was.

3. Mesousa

Mesousa Biggest Hinata Azuma fanboy

Yeah, I remember buying it on VHS once, it looked like a good idea at the time, though, I mean, at least it was animated.

But, has this Richard Kind guy done any other stuff, other than this, I questioning this, cause I never heard of him.

4. Silverstar

Richard Kind

5. Mist

Mist Celebrating 20 Years of Sonic

This sounds just like the 1993 movie, only live-action, with an origin story tacked on at the beginning and no little girl.

I love Tom & Jerry, they're one of my favorite cartoons, but this movie will be awful.

Obviously this will be marketed to kids, meaning the violence won't be as extreme as it was in the cartoon. It will likely just be pie-in-the-face gags, fart jokes, and maybe something heavy falling on Tom's head once.

And rap song for the credits.

6. TheAnimalSpy

TheAnimalSpy New Member

Another game of cat and mouse is something i can't wait for. T$J are awesome:p

7. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I wonder if they'll talk in this one...

They'll be better off not doing so.

8. ABrown

ABrown Active Member

Don't we get enough Itchy And Scratchy on The Simpsons. Do they really need their own movie?

9. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I didn't think that the Garfield movie was that bad. At least it kept Garfield in character, unlike Underdog. I haven't seen Alvin and the Chipmunks so I can't comment on that movie.

I think that an origin story could be interesting. I'm still willing to see a preview of the film to get a taste of it before passing judgment on it. It could go either way really, depending on the writing and how they handle the overall storyline.

10. Old Guy

Old Guy Active Member

But it screwed up Jon. :(

11. Mist

Mist Celebrating 20 Years of Sonic

Tom naps on the floor. Jerry walks in. Grabs food. Tom chases. Very compelling origin story.

Now that I think about it, if Tom & Jerry don't talk and they only show the legs and arm of human characters, this could be interesting.

12. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

The cat and mouse will talk in CGI!

13. stargirl

stargirl Active Member

Is there an official source of that?

And why do I have a strong feeling that there's going to be some breakdancing in this film?

14. Silverstar

How does one talk in CGI? You can't see voices, only hear them.

I think you meant to say that the cat and mouse will talk, and the film will be in CGI.

And FTR, we don't know if the whole film will be in CG, it's only been confirmed that Tom and Jerry will be CGI characters. It could like the Garfireld movies, where just the title characters are in CGI.

15. Mini Garbonzo

Mini Garbonzo Do you like my eyes?!?!

As much as I despise the fact that this idea got put through I'm not really angry, excutives will be excutives, there's nothing else we can do besides wait this one out and hope it bombs both critically and financially.

16. BigMac

BigMac Rebranded

Yeah! By the way: How do you think executives come up with these ideas?

And the idea of the movie in cgi... kinda makes me sick:ack: I mean, Tom & Jerry were made for the big screen but in it's original form! Making it into a CGI movie... well... that idea is pretty bad! If it was in traditional animation, maybe it could get people to see it but like that... i don't know...

17. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, that's true. I guess that they wanted Jon to be different than how he is in the comics. I kind of liked that though.

Well, I would imagine that they would put a lot more into their origin story than that. No one would want to watch a five second film that was the whole base of why Tom and Jerry constantly fight with each other.

I personally doubt that Tom and Jerry will not talk in the film. I think that they wouldn't want to go to all the trouble of designing them in CGI and not have them talk. Besides that, it would be hard to do a ninety-minute movie with the two center characters silent, at least with most movies nowadays. It might be more possible for them to only show the arms and legs of the humans, but it really depends who they hire and how they want to handle the human characters.

18. Taekmkm

Taekmkm Ribbit

It'd be like Wall-E...with animal violence!

....Wow, that sounds better than this.

And for the record, the Tom and Jerry movie was just bleh. Why orphans? Why always orphans?!

19. Mini Garbonzo

Mini Garbonzo Do you like my eyes?!?!

Technically the little girl had a father...and his name was INDIANA JONES!

20. fartoons

fartoons Creamy Goodness

Tom & Jerry in CG :'(

It's a sad day, but it was bound to happen sooner or later. They've ruined plenty of other cartoon characters with CG movies, but I hoped it'd never happen to Tom & Jerry.

http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2009/01/tom-jerry-movie.html

Hollywood's officially run out of ideas... Oh wait, that happened a long time ago.