1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Tom: Blue or Grey?

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by Uncle Scrooge, May 9, 2016.

1. Uncle Scrooge

Uncle Scrooge Member

I always remember Tom (from Tom & Jerry) as being grey. On the Gene Deich set he is blue and I though this was just a product of those cartoons. But I also watched T&J at the Hollywood Bowl d noticed he is blue in that too.
    When did this change happen? Does anyone know why?
    He is certainly grey in the Chuck Jones ones.

2. NewBogus :)

NewBogus :) Plastic Duck Saves the World

As was mentioned, Tom's fur was changed to blue, starting "Heavenly Puss", 1949 according to the remastered print used in the post-1949/pre-1954 cartoons.
    [​IMG]

3. Uncle Scrooge

Uncle Scrooge Member

This would mean the majority T&J cartoons he is blue. I'm surprised as I always remember him as Grey, and he is grey on all the merchandise.

4. Cool_Cat

Cool_Cat Active Member

It's because they messed up the color correction in later releases.

Pretty much sky blue/grey turned into dark blue. Look at the sky on Landing Stripling for an example.

5. Uncle Scrooge

Uncle Scrooge Member

Yes here he is very blue:
    https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=105a708d56d9ff39160a5b15538de8ec&oe=57E70D4F
    But here they have gone for a bluey-grey, but this may be the use of blue background
    https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=dc30ef69d90a65eb96faae97f6ab3a8b&oe=57E22C59

I always think of him as grey. From what I gather he was Grey in the forties, blue in the fifties then grey again in the mid sixties. I think he looks better grey (mainly because you don't get blue cats). Not sure why they ever made him blue.

6. Deebee

Deebee Purple Puma

You do get blue cats, though. Take British or Russian Blues for example. They mostly look grey, but can look blue in certain lighting. Check out how blue my Russian looked when contrasted with a red blanket:

I never really took note of Tom's color changes before, so thanks for showing that to me. Think I'll headcanon him as a Russian Blue since they can appear as both grey and blue.

7. Jazz

Jazz Member

I also have the headcannon that Tom is a Russian Blue cat. I noticed over the many incarnations of the cartoon his color differs a lot, so the Russian Blue idea makes for a good compromise to me.