1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Tom and Jerry: The Gene Deitch Collection on DVD!

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by CartoonFridays, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Uncle Scrooge

Uncle Scrooge Member

2. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

My two favorite Deitch T&Js are Tall in the Trap and The Tom & Jerry Cartoon Kit. Calypso Cat is pretty trippy, too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Zelek

Zelek Member

I'd say the worst shorts are Down and Outing, High steaks, and Sorry Safari (i.e. the "fat man" shorts). I tolerate the other Deitch shorts, but those three are just too cruel to be funny.

If you read Deitch's online bio, it shows he wasn't all that happy about having to do Tom & Jerry, and it shows in some of his earliest cartoons, where the gags are extremely slow, painful, and unfunny rather than breakneck and funny - especially those inflicted on Tom.

Once he got that out of his system and his staff got a better feel for the characters, he did better cartoons at the end, like "Buddies Thicker Than Water", which I think has some of the old "warmth" of the Hanna-Barbera shorts, and is also one of the few Deitch shorts where you feel Jerry deserved to win and Tom deserved to lose.

4. Uncle Scrooge

Uncle Scrooge Member

I'm assuming that link is BS or a bad april fool as there is only one source and it all sounds too ridiculous to be true.

5. 19MagiswordLane

19MagiswordLane Toonzone's Crooner of Carnage, babe!

It's a Creepypasta, so.......:p

6. Uncle Scrooge

Uncle Scrooge Member

that means nothing to me

7. Uncle Scrooge

Uncle Scrooge Member

I watched the Gene Deitch era DVD at the weekend. I really bought it as Carmen Get it is on it (my second favourite). They are generally considered to be awful but I quite liked them. There was a lot more detail in the animation/backgrounds. Especially in the first one set in an elaborate mad scientists home.
    The only ones I wasn't keen on were the ones where Tom's owner was shown to be a sadistic old man who beats on Tom for really stupid reasons. High Steaks being a prime example.
    In the early shorts and Chuck Jones ones we are cheering on Jerry because Tom is always making his life hell. There is little of this in some of these cartoons as Jerry seems to live to taunt Tom in some of them.
    The set however is worth it for Switchin' Kitten, Carmen Get it, The Tom and Jerry Cartoon Kit and Buddies Thicker Than Water.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mr.Milkshake

Mr.Milkshake New Member

Aww Gene Deitch ruined Tom and Jerry

Fans: I hate Gene Deitch s tom and jerry!!

9. Uncle Scrooge

Uncle Scrooge Member

Well that made sense :D