1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Tom and Jerry Spotlight Collection - Volume 3" Coming Soon

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by Kolbar, May 16, 2007.

1. Leviathan

Leviathan "It's against nature!"
    Staff Member Moderator

Let the record show that WHV is promising UNCUT cartoons in the trailer. IIRC, That wasn't the case with the previews for the first two sets.

I hope the 35 cartoons thing is a flub, too. Maybe WHV is keeping 2 or the more controversial shorts seperate from the main count or something

2. Nexonius

Nexonius Ten, count em', ten years!

WB, perhaps?

3. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Fourteen Years!

4. BonyT

BonyT Sisyphus in Hell

Actually, I am mildly surprised that it's "Casanova Cat" instead of "His Mouse Friday" that's missing.

DITTO. And given that fact, now that I think about it, I guess I'm "glad" (not that "glad" is really the appropriate word for the whole situation) that it is "Casanova Cat" that's missing instead of "His Mouse Friday", because my only real complaint with the Asian set I have is that "His Mouse Friday" is full-screen, and they did a terrible job with what part of the picture they cut off, especially in the last scene with Jerry encountering the Pygmy native. Hopefully at least T&J Spotlight V3 will have a better screen scope on that cartoon.

... But to be honest, despite what they say about unedited 'toons, I really wouldn't be surprised if the version that hits the shelves omits the natives' dialogue from "His Mouse Friday" altogether, as was done with all late showings of the cartoon on TV. :sad:

SO... anybody planning to contact WB and complain? 'Cause if so, I'd like the contact info.

5. TheFZAtUGSOnline

TheFZAtUGSOnline Galactic Guardian since 2010

Can't the DVD be pushed to another date, 9/11 is a bad time to realese DVDs... (its a national mourning day...)
    Some good shorts here and there that are going to be in the set, i cannot wait for VOL 3...

6. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Fourteen Years!

True. But really, that shouldn't prevent DVDs from being released.

7. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

GET IN POT! GET IN POT!

I just had to do that since I saw it again today. Glad to see it being released.

8. BonyT

BonyT Sisyphus in Hell

It was, "HOP IN POT!" wasn't it? :p (I'd have to take a look at my Asian sets to make sure.)

At any rate, since learning that Warner is shorting us two cartoons, including "Mouse Cleaning," I frankly still wouldn't be surprised if the version of "His Mouse Friday" that's in Volume 3 is the one with the cannibals' dialogue omitted -- no matter what they say about unedited cartoons.

9. BonyT

BonyT Sisyphus in Hell

The word, from someone who's seen an advance copy, is that Volume 3's "His Mouse Friday" has the same modified screen pan that my Asian set has, and that V3, like my Asian set, cuts the pygmy cannibal out of the picture.

This set gets a little worse every time I hear something new about it.

10. Wanted

Wanted Toonmaster

At this point, I'm not even considering buying it. So much other stuff, anyway.

11. Batman91

Batman91 Active Member

Regardless of the stupid changes and censorships Its still Tom and Jerry and they're still good cartoons. Even though Tom and Jerry deserve better treatment I will still buy it to get the rest of the cartoons, at least almost.;)

12. BonyT

BonyT Sisyphus in Hell

13. Batman91

Batman91 Active Member

14. BonyT

BonyT Sisyphus in Hell

No problem. :) (It might very well have already been posted on the News page; I just didn't see it. And I figured it was relevant in this thread anyway.)

Btw, here's the phone # for Warner, if anybody wants to let them know what they think about the omissions:

1-866-488-4640

I think I'm going to --- it might make a difference. It was, after all, the flood of complaints from outraged collectors that compelled Warner to send out free replacement discs for both Volumes One and Two of T&J Spotlight -- and, mind you, Warner did in fact backtrack on their original stated position in issuing those replacement discs, having at first stated (quietly) that the there would be no replacements, and that dissatisfied fans' only remedy would be a refund.

Now, I admit that the situation's a bit different here, because with the first two volumes Warner's use of edited cartoons was supposedly just a careless error, whereas with Volume Three it's an openly-stated deliberate omission for PC reasons (misguided reasons though they be, IMO). But hey, you never know; enough backlash could cause them to rethink things.