1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Tom and Jerry Spotlight Collection - Volume 3" Coming Soon

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by Kolbar, May 16, 2007.

1. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Fourteen Years!

Well, looks like all 3 Cinemascope remakes will be on this set.

And I like how the dead-on late 40's era Spike clashes badly with the "clip art" Tom and Jerry that we've seen a million times.

2. Wanted

Wanted Toonmaster

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed. It's like they must've consolidated and fired all of their good artists. I bet the front art still hasn't changed a lick.

3. Kolbar

Kolbar @Cinecrisis on Twitter

This news was announced in early May and already had a thread about it.

In the future, please look to see if there is already an existing thread covering a topic before you make a new one, Scoobyrox7.

4. Couch Potato

Couch Potato Penelope Pitstop Fan

Can't wait for it to come out.

5. BonyT

BonyT Sisyphus in Hell

In case anybody still had any doubts about the 'toons being uncut, take a look at the text right below the dog house:
    [​IMG]

The cartoons will be unedited. ... Let's just hope they're all there. The count still has me just a little worried. By my math, I'm afraid two cartoons may be left out. And if so, those two had better not be "Mouse Cleaning" & "His Mouse Friday" (although those would probably be the two most likely to get the axe if WB does cave in & go all P.C. on us all of a sudden, I'm sorry to say :sad: ).

6. DarthGonzo

Yep. Two cartoons will be left out. Or is it three?

Either way, I've got a feeling we're not getting Mouse Cleaning, A Mouse in the House or His Mouse Friday.

7. BonyT

BonyT Sisyphus in Hell

^ It's two:

--- 40 in Vol 1
    --- 37 in Vol 2 (actually 38, but "Texas Tom" is a repeat from Vol 1)
    --- 35 in Vol 3

That's just 112. Should be 114.

8. BonyT

BonyT Sisyphus in Hell

Hold on a tick.

The print's awfully small in the pic, but if I'm making out the part right above the dog house correctly (the foot note to the part about CinemaScope Widescreens), it say:
    If so, that's a reference to "The Egg and Jerry" (a CinemaScope remake of "Hatch Up Your Troubles"), "Tops with Pops" (remake of "Love That Pup") and "Feedin' the Kiddie" (remake of "The Little Orphan"). And that's bad news.

Crap.

It's bad news because, I had been holding out hope that maybe the two cartoons left out of the 114 total were two of the CinemaScope Widescreen remakes --- not that I want those left out, mind you; but if anything's GOT to be left out, then better a remake of one we've already got than a short we don't have. But if all three CinemaScope Widescreen remakes are there ... then there's DEFINITELY two shorts left out (... assuming that the info on the box is correct in its 35 total, that is).

And if I were a bettin' man, I'd lay odds that those two are "Mouse Cleaning" and "His Mouse Friday."

Crap.

9. DarthGonzo

Yep.

"A Mouse in the House" offers a blackface scene, but it's no worse than the one we got in "The Truce Hurts", and nowhere near as bad as the one in "The Milky Waif". Sometimes I wonder if it's the use of pistols - and not the blaceface scene - that's keeping "A Mouse in the House" off of television.

"Mouse Cleaning" includes a Stephin Fetchet impersonation that one could agrue is definitely tasteless. Then then you have the cannibal stuff taking up the entire second half of "His Mouse Friday".

Yeah if "Mouse Cleaning" and "His Mouse Friday" dont appear in this set I won't be surprised. I'd be pissed, mind you, but not surprised.

10. Debbie

Debbie Member

Why is Spike in what looks like Snoopy's doghouse? Even the dish looks like something from Peanuts.:sweat:

11. jcorey3

jcorey3 Member

hopefully enough there's enough time for people to complain enough to get those final two cartoons put on this set.

12. Wanted

Wanted Toonmaster

But, not enough time for them to change the box art... eh, only the spine matters to me, anyway.

13. adoptedBatpuppy

adoptedBatpuppy Confidence is the Key

This can't be the last set of Tom and Jerry, :sad: there are over 100 episodes in the show itself. It's like Flinstones, at least 7 seasons! :D

14. DarthGonzo

Whuh?

15. Wanted

Wanted Toonmaster

The Flintstones had six seasons... and, if you think about it, Tom and Jerry isn't really a show, but a series of shorts.

16. BonyT

BonyT Sisyphus in Hell

The Spotlight Collection has been limited to just the Hanna-Barbera Tom & Jerry cartoons (the truly great era of T&J). To be honest, all of the other T&J (including Chuck Jones) is vastly inferior, and personally, I don't have any interest at all in owning anything but the Hanna-Barbera T&J cartoons.

17. DarthGonzo

Quoted for truth.

18. Batman91

Batman91 Active Member

I'm pretty excited about them including "The KarateGuard". Is anyone else excited? After all it was Joe Barbera's last real tom and Jerry short.

19. DarthGonzo

20. BonyT

BonyT Sisyphus in Hell

Yes they are! Good catch there, DarthGonzo! That gives some hope: Maybe WB just erred on the box by saying "35 shorts" --- could it be that all 37 are actually there?

... I just hope this isn't like what sometimes happens with movie trailers, which occasionally do use scenes in the trailer that don't end up being in the actual movie (as with the Spider-Man 3 trailer, for example). :sad: