1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Tom and Jerry Spotlight Collection - Volume 3" Coming Soon

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by Kolbar, May 16, 2007.

1. FidoMcCokefiend

FidoMcCokefiend Active Member

Slightly off topic, but how do you go about getting the replacement discs for volumes 1 and 2? I plan to order those sets in about a week, and that's the first thing I want to do.

2. tjguitar

tjguitar Member

Uh, why dont you wait til you see if you even need replacements?

3. FidoMcCokefiend

Do they have corrected ones in stores?

4. Wanted

Wanted Toonmaster

From the Home Theater Forum's Ronald Epstein:

"Warner Home Video is advising consumers who purchased Tom and Jerry Spotlight Collection: Volume 2 DVD that certain episodes on Disc 1 and Disc 2 have an alternate audio track. For any consumer who wants to have both of these discs replaced with the original audio track, please contact Warner Home Video at 1-800-553-6937 so that a self-addressed stamped envelope can be sent to you for return of your current disc. Please note that the replacement discs will be sent to you in approximately 2-4 weeks."

The number is the same for Volume 1, also... just ask them.

5. Eric B

Eric B Active Member

So I guess it will also include stuff like Milky Waif. I've never seen that one on ANY video collection, and I've never seen the uncut version. The edits seem to cut out much more than the blackface gag, and they have trimmed more as time has gone on, probably to make a smoother transition, but it's actually worse. On the old syndicated version on NY's ch11, it used to go from the spitting og the milk to Tom chasing the mise around the corner (I always thought the way Tom's leg's moved as he veered partly off the left of the screen looked cool). You could see the mice were wearing something, but I never knew it was a blackface "mammy" getup until I got the Tom & Jerry 50th anniversary book back in '90, which showed a frame from the cut scene (my only view of it ever). Afterwards, the edits on CN/Boom cut straight to the pan horizontally hitting Tom in the face the first time.

It would be nice to see the later theatrical shorts and the made for TV versions as well. They are of course not as good as the original, but they are interesting variations. There are classic T&J moments in the Jones series, and while he admitted "not understanding them", over time, they did improve. (the newest series, movies and individual shorts are really good, though, and the biggest improvement needed is the score).
    I wish they would do that for the Scooby Comedy Movies. Many people dont realize there were scenes cut out of them as well, but this was apparently for time length, not for political correctness. It seems even the people who make the DVD's forgot about these. Though I have some of the older "special guest" collections (containing the two or so episodes a particular guest would appear). I don't know if they have corrected this in the boxset of the whole series, but then again, nobody has said anything, and again, it seems the edits were totally forgotten.

6. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Fourteen Years!

Psst..."The Milky Waif" was one the first Spotlight Collection.

7. tjguitar

tjguitar Member

You'd have to play them to see...?

8. BonyT

BonyT Sisyphus in Hell

Just call 1-800-553-6937 and tell them you want the replacement discs for both Volume 1 and Volume 2 of Tom & Jerry Spotlight ---- that's all there is to it. I did it and, take my word for it, it's both simple and ABSOLUTELY FREE. They'll just ask you about when and where you purchased the sets, and then take down your address.

9. FidoMcCokefiend

Where I bought them? So, If I get it online, do I just tell them the site? Because no stores around me have them, so I'm getting them at Bestbuy.com

10. BonyT

BonyT Sisyphus in Hell

^Yeah, I think that's all they'd want to know. (For that matter, I don't really know if they ask everyone that; but they did ask me.)

11. BonyT

BonyT Sisyphus in Hell

"Pecos Pest" (one of my faves too :) ) is already on the Tom and Jerry Spotlight Collection, Volume 1, Disc 2 -- cartoon #37.
    Indeed it was. In fact it was one of the cartoons that was edited in the first release, but given to us UNEDITED AND ALL-ORIGINAL on the replacement discs.

12. Eric B

Eric B Active Member

OK, thanks. I had given up looking, because it seemed only the more "popular" ones were on the videos.

13. BonyT

BonyT Sisyphus in Hell

Hold on a tick. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe that the list of MGM/Hanna-Barbera T&J cartoons normally is numbered at 114 shorts; but three of those are just CinemaScope remakes of older cartoons ("Hatch Up Your Troubles" being a remake of "The Egg and Jerry", "Tops with Pops" a remake of "Love That Pup" and "Feedin' the Kiddie" a remake of "The Little Orphan"), so in a sense there are really just 111.

But In T&J Spotlight Vol 1, there are 40 cartoons; in Vol 2 there are 38 -- but one ("Texas Tom") is a repeat from Vol 1, so really there are 37; and Vol 3 will have 35. That adds up to 112. Wonder what that means -- another repeat cartoon from a previous volume?

Hope it doesn't mean they're counting the CinemaScope remakes as distinct cartoons and leaving out two others ...

I'll feel better when we see the list of cartoons on this set.

14. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Hmm, I thought they put the shorts in order.

15. BonyT

BonyT Sisyphus in Hell

Nooo. "Puss Gets the Boot," "The Midnight Snack," "The Night Before Christmas" -- all of those (oldest) shorts, for example, are on Volume 2. Just like the Looney Tunes Golden Collection volumes, the Tom and Jerry Spotlight Collection volumes have the cartoons in essentially random order.

16. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Fourteen Years!

Well kinda. The cartoons presented on each set are more or less in chronological order. It's just that the two sets taken together arent in order.

17. BonyT

BonyT Sisyphus in Hell

... which is what I was trying to elude to with "essentially random order" --- perhaps not the most accurate description in hindsight :) . At any rate, the point (as you say) is that neither Looney Tunes Golden nor Tom and Jerry Spotlight provide the cartoons in true chronological order over the whole collection --- and I can live with that, since WB is giving us all of the cartoons completely uncut, which is INFINITELY more important to me than the order.

18. FidoMcCokefiend

Is That's My Mommy on any of the DVDs? That's the one cartoon I REALLY wanna see.

19. BonyT

BonyT Sisyphus in Hell

^ Here's the full list of the contents of both of the first two Volumes for anyone interested (copied & pasted from Wikipedia --- I'm at the office right now, so I can't actually verify everything in their list vs. my actual DVDs; but it all looks to be about right). Note that "Texas Tom" appears on both Vols 1 and 2 -- the only repeat I'm aware of:

Spotlight Collection, Vol. 1

A superscripted one ( 1 ) denotes cartoons presented in the CinemaScope aspect ratio using a new anamorphic widescreen transfer.

Disc 1
    Disc 2
    Bonus Features
    • Commentary by Jerry Beck on: The Zoot Cat, Kitty Foiled, Heavenly Puss
    • "Behind the Tunes: The MGM Orchestra" {documentary on the music of Tom and Jerry)
    • "How Bill and Joe Met Tom and Jerry" {documentary on the origin of the series}
    • Jerry Dances with Gene Kelly {excerpt from Anchors Aweigh}
    • Tom and Jerry Swim with Esther Williams {excerpt from Dangerous When Wet}
    Spotlight Collection, Vol. 2

A superscripted one ( 1 ) denotes cartoons in the standard Academy ratio presented in newly remastered versions. A superscripted two ( 2 ) denotes cartoons presented in the CinemaScope aspect ratio using a new anamorphic widescreen transfer.

Disc 1
    Disc 2
    Bonus features
    • Audio Commentaries: Commentary on Saturday Evening Puss, Puss 'n' Toots, The Night Before Christmas, and Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Mouse by MADtv's Nicole Parker and Animation Historian Earl Kress
    • Documentary: Animators as Actors: Actor's workshop of where the inspiration for character personalities come from
    • Featurette: The Comedy Stylings of Tom and Jerry
    • Introduction: Tom and Jerry Introduction by Whoopi Goldberg
    • Production Sketches: 1941 Pencil Sketch: The Midnight Snack

20. The Cartoon

The Cartoon Moderator