Tom and Jerry: Lost Dragon

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by Kirben, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Kirben

Kirben Member

It looks like a new Tom & Jerry: Lost Dragon movie is been released on DVD on July 15, judging by Amazon (USA). The movie is listed as only 44 minutes, and there is no sign of a Blu-Ray release this time. The movie will be about Tom & Jerry finding a dragon egg, and helping the baby dragon find its mother, according to the description on Amazon (France).

It is good to see Warner Bros finally stopped throwing Tom & Jerry in random movies, although the plot still sounds simple. Has anyone seen any screenshots or trailers around yet?

2. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

What we need someday is a Tom and Jerry direct to DVD movie where they team up with the DC Comics superheroes (Superman, Batman, Justice League).

3. Silverstar

Silverstar Ah, No.

No offense, but that sounds like just the sort of "let's plonk Tom & Jerry into some random genre video that they really don't belong in" idea that most fans would like to see WB move away from.

Getting back on-topic, I personally haven't seen or heard anything about Tom & Jerry: Lost Dragon yet, but I imagine we'll start seeing ads for it soon.

4. Kirben

Kirben Member

Amazon recently added the front cover art, which looks interesting:
    [​IMG]

5. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Ten Years on TZ!

Does there HAVE to be a "sexy girl" character in every single one of these movies?

6. Lemanic

Lemanic Member

It's an MGM staple. Just deal with it.

7. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Atom Ant... Man Staff Member

I wonder if they'll manage to squeeze Droopy or any other MGM characters in this movie as well.

8. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo We're not cousins!

You know that if they didn't, people would be complaining about the movies not having any female characters, so it's to be expected.

It's rare when 1 of these videos interests me, but I'm somewhat curious about that character. Is she supposed to be a human/dragon hybrid?

9. thetellyweb

thetellyweb Active Member

they can have female characters, the question meant as to why there's always been a Tex Avery Red- style character in them.

The UK release for this is being set for August.

10. iptumcea

iptumcea New Member

...What am I looking at here? I've only seen the odd clip from these movies, so I have no idea what their "feel" is, but this is honestly the strangest thing I've seen all month. A baby dragon that hatched from a golden egg with its mother in the background, a green-skinned, black and white character wearing the top third of a shirt and a bathrobe underneath, and Tom and Jerry? Aside from that, why is Tom dwarfed down (or Jerry made taller) to the point where he is only twice the size of Jerry? Why does Tom's forehead color separation spawn five half-circle peaks? Why is the dragon so enormous when her egg is the size of her eye? What happened to Tom's feet?
    Close, but no cigar. It's a Tex Avery MGM staple, and even then I'm being generous.

11. Kirben

Kirben Member

Tom and Jerry: The Lost Dragon has been announced by Warner Bros, but still no sign of trailer.

Several Tom and Jerry episodes will be included as a bonus:
    Medieval Mouse
    Fire Breathing Tom Cat
    Medieval Menace
    The Itch

I really hope the bonus episodes of Tom & Jerry Tales are in widescreen, and Warner Bros. don't just use the cropped versions from previous DVD releases.

12. thetellyweb

Medieval Mouse appears to be taken from Tom & Jerry Kids. So, first time on that show being in the mix. But then again, you can already view the episode on the Season 1 set.

My main concern is will those other 3 shorts, taken from Tom & Jerry Tales, be put in their original half-hour version, or are we just assuming they'll all be Intro-less episodes which can be viewed on their own? Cause if you remember the original run, or look it up, those 3 were aired as one. Kinda like how the rest of Season 1 had different themes in each half-hour.

But personally, i'd still like to see any future Tom & Jerry release that gives us The Mansion Cat or anything that isn't on DVD.

also on the supposed upcoming release list, from which i've seen on Amazon, is "Tom & Jerry's Santa's Little Helper". No clue what that will be (except for the obvious).

13. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Ten Years on TZ!

I've seen a press release. Looks like a collection of "Tom and Jerry Show" cartoons.

14. Dudley

Dudley Moderator

Having them appear is the highlight of these movies.

15. thetellyweb

is there a link to it?

16. wiley207

wiley207 Active Member

Wow, an ORIGINAL Tom and Jerry movie for a change!

But I still wish Warner would start making more Looney Tunes direct-to-video movies in this style. They can be under an hour long, or maybe even make one that'd be like a series of related shorts, sort of like the 1940s Disney "package" films, or "Muppet Classic Theater."

17. Kirben

Kirben Member

I finally found a trailer at Yahoo, but it doesn't look that promising.

18. bat313

bat313 Active Member

I personally love the animation in these Tom and Jerry DTVs. And I like that they try to add in as many Tex Avery characters as they can. Even if the stories aren't that strong you can still tell they put a lot of care into these.

19. Kirben

Kirben Member

I was looking for new titles on Amazon (Germany) and I was surprised to notice a Blu-Ray release for Tom & Jerry: The Lost Dragon.

A Blu-Ray release only in Germany seems strange, even considering Germany often gets more Blu-Ray releases for animated titles. I suspect there might be a store exclusive for the Blu-Ray edition in the USA.

20. Kirben

Kirben Member

The Tom & Jerry Tales bonus episodes will be in widescreen, judging by BBFC classifications for the DVD release in the UK, which are noted as widescreen in remarks:
    Fire Breathing Tom Cat
    The Itch
    Medieval Menace

This will be the first time Tom & Jerry Tales has been released on widescreen on DVD.