1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Tom and Jerry: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by BeanoMaster, Jan 20, 2016.

1. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

I think the reasoning behind the tone of the more recent DVD movies is because of the belief that when a franchise is brought back, it's more or less expected to have bigger, better stories and apparent character development. Notice how most Tom And Jerry movies (heck, even various episodes of the 2014 cartoon and the early cartoons) follow a basic formula: (Tom And Jerry are average joes trying to get by in life when they suddenly get thrust into a magical adventure. They have to work together with their allies to take down a common foe they both have.). While not always done well, I think the logic that's used here is to take Tom and Jerry's antics, and apply them in a positive way.

On a side note:

http://collider.com/tom-jerry-willy-wonka-movie-trailer/

According to this article, the movie will be released on June 27 (Digital) and July 11 (DVD). Gene Grillo will write the movie. This is his second foray into the Tom And Jerry universe, the first being the 2011 Tom And Jerry/Wizard Of Oz movie. You also know him as a writer for Johnny Bravo, Jimmy Neutron, Back At The Barnyard, Kung Fu Panda: Legends Of Awesomeness, Breadwinners, and more.

2. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

It definitely seems like the franchise has hit the point where everyone would rather it stays where it is than continue to run on fumes. At least most of the Looney Tunes shows, while far from perfect, try to mix things up to make them stand out (and the ones I prefer are generally the ones where the changes are more dramatic, like Duck Dodgers or the Looney Tunes Show) so they don't just feel like little more than diet versions of the original.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I haven't been keeping up with the Tom and Jerry DTV's, but wow. This trailer was so bad. Even the Scooby-Doo films, which arguably kinda run on auto-pilot, try to keep things interesting and usually have good animation.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Toon4Thought

I'll appreciate them for recreating certain shots of the original movie, and the actual animation's good enough, but man they don't get much more pointless than this. The two feel so incredibly disjointed from each other, and that combining them adds absolutely nothing. It's clear that Warner Bros has no idea what to do with the franchise at this point. Maybe it's best to just leave them in the past so they can be fondly remembered.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Frank Coufal

Frank Coufal Member

Actually, even though I think it's true that Warner Bros doesn't know what to do with Tom and Jerry or Looney Tunes or any of its other animated franchises, I think they have potential to do something more actually good someday. Tom and Jerry are too beloved to be left in the past.

• Like Like x 1
  6. jaylop97

jaylop97 L Twins

Especially knowing the animation looks like The Looney Tunes Show and this "Original" movie lacks anything unique it definitely is time to put them to rest. Then again I don't even know if these movies even have Tom and Jerry even acting like themselves because they just either stay glued to the background while the convener belt goes or they are just there.

7. ZanyLogic5

ZanyLogic5 Active Member

Even though it seems at this point the studio is completely out of ideas with what to do with the trio or any of the other franchises (Hanna Barbara and MGM in this case), i still think WB can keep the duo running for at least a few more decade. Besides, like Frank Coufal said, T&J are too beloved by many people to be forgotten in this generation.

• Winner Winner x 1
    #87 ZanyLogic5, Apr 21, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  8. Toon4Thought

But sometimes beloved franchises are better off being left in the past so that they can remain beloved rather than becoming stale to the point where people will become sick of them.

9. ZanyLogic5

ZanyLogic5 Active Member

Your right about that. Some people would see one of their favorite series run for a little longer, while others prefer the franchises should end sooner or later so they won't end up losing it's charm of what made them popular. To me, i say that if they keep the formula for how it is now (maybe spice it up a little), then maybe, just MAYBE, we won't have to worry about the fate of its deadline decreasing in popularity instead of giving it the shaft so quickly. After all, We don't want Tom and Jerry to end up like how Universal treats it's characters.

• Agree Agree x 2
    #89 ZanyLogic5, Apr 21, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  10. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Dwarf-in-a-flask

11. Yum

Yum Active Member

Yes, people, this is 7 kinds of weird business decision making, but Spike Brandt and Tony Cervone have to make bread somehow, and last I checked, the Hanna-Barbera catalog is the most nostalgic thing that's ironically still profitable, which is why WB completely ditched the Looney Tunes for Scooby Doo, so what'll you do? It seems that the end goal now is to milk the Hanna Barbera franchises for all they're worth, even when the originals still hold up. WB will NOT take risks after Back in Action, or any other classic cartoon other than Scooby Doo or Tom and Jerry. They're their poster boys, ironically created by Hanna-Barbera. WB won't listen to their audience like SEGA does, and will instead only focus on market shares, focus groups, and statistics, i.e, what's selling and what's popular now.

On a related topic, also expect another unwanted TV show on Cartoon Network featuring Unikitty of the LEGO movie...

12. SweetShop209

On the Movies channel on youtube (where you have to pay to see the whole movie when it comes out ), it mentions the voice cast for the movie. Considering it mentions Jeff Bergman in the cast, I would assume (if they appear in this movie), that he would voice Droopy and Butch. This is similar to the Looney Tunes scenario where he voiced these two characters for a bit (the 2010 Sherlock Holmes movie) only to be replaced in those roles by Joe Alaskey. With Joe's death, it's natural that Jeff would voice them now.

13. Yum

Yum Active Member

14. SweetShop209

15. Yum

Yum Active Member

Living proof that this will go downhill, I mean the quality of these movies are going downhill as time moves on:

[​IMG]
    http://www.getlinktube.com/watch?v=MK7evFDGdjc

what is up with Tom's elbow and chest? This looks like those 1980s nightmares John K always rambles against!

16. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Fourteen Years!

I'm not shocked to see a variety of different looked models on Tom and Jerry in these movies. They use a pretty large hodgepodge of animators on them, many who worked with Brandt and Cervone at Startoons in the '90s. There was a comic chase scene in "The Lost Dragon" movie that had animation that looked INCREDIBLY familiar until I figured it out. It was done by Jon McClenahan! If anything, it's kind of neat to still be able to see animation by him, Brandt and Jeff Seirgy after all these years.

17. Yum

Yum Active Member

Yes, but at this point, it's kind of a waste of talent.

18. wiley207

wiley207 Well-Known Member

This sure doesn't sound like a good idea. If anything, they should be doing something with the LOONEY TUNES relating to the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory story. Maybe have the Tunes reenact it with Bugs Bunny as Willy Wonka. It would be more "original" than what they're coming out with currently. Warner Bros. Animation needs to make Looney Tunes stuff of the same higher quality as those Tom and Jerry movies, instead of stuff like "Rabbits Run." Too bad Spike Brandt and Tony Cervone seem sick of Looney Tunes...

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

So is this just a remake of Willie Wonka but with Tom and Jerry just being there? I seriously cannot fathom why anyone would think this is s good idea.

20. AnotherRandomGuy

AnotherRandomGuy The cat's in the cradle

Because...branding I guess?