1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

TMNT Talkback "Turtles Forever" (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by Ian, Nov 21, 2009.

?

"Turtles Forever" is a love letter to fans. How much do you love it back?

1. Five stars

97 vote(s)
    72.9%
  2. Four stars

28 vote(s)
    21.1%
  3. Three stars

6 vote(s)
    4.5%
  4. Two stars

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  5. One star

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I want to banish it to Dimension X with the Technodrome.

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  1. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

Does the uncut version show what happens to reporter April?

2. gobo

gobo Member

Don't forget that their ooze cannister said TCRI. ;)
    Nope. I'm told she and the mutant banana are engaged now though. :p

3. AlgeaX

AlgeaX Oh, hello?

Well I don't personally consider the CGI movie part of the live action continuity, I was just playing Devil's advocate by showing there's as much evidence for and against it as TNM.

Anyway it's a moot point, Venus is unlikely to be incorporated in any future turtles project simply because she isn't fondly remembered by the majority of fans. Those that do remember her think of her as the Scrappy Doo of the franchise.

Say what you want about Bebop, Rocksteady or the Punk Frogs, but they have a lot of nostalgia appeal to those who grew up on the original toon. Frankly we've got a better chance of seeing Muckman return then Venus.

4. Ducard

Ducard Active Member

A couple of other things I noticed this time:

-I liked the new scenes. Especially the final bit where Karai pleads to her father. And Ch'rell quotes Super Shredder. It's too bad we can't see the whole credits though; anybody know where I can listen to that ending song? IIRC it was an alternate version that was developed for the '03 show that 4Kids ended up not using. I think 4Kids used to have it up for download on their website years ago.

-When the Technodrome attacks above ground, there is an Asian woman with purple hair, orange headband, a yellow shirt, and a bright red backpack. In other words, Faye Valentine! I wouldn't be surprised if there are other mini-cameos in the crowd. Someone on the Technodrome forums pointed out that one of the guys in the '03 TMNT world is wearing a t-shirt with Bebop's face on it (the character Bebop, I mean). There's also another character that kinda resembles Shaggy Doo.

-After the throwing stars are used on Shredder, you can see 80's Leonardo holding some stars too. So I guess it wasn't just Donatello who dealt that last blow.

5. gobo

gobo Member

I was looking forward to the credits as well. That was a remix of the rejected 2K3 theme that was available on The FoxBox Box promo CD from back in mid-late 2002. A fansite, fogu.com, still has it.

6. Russkafin

Russkafin Bringer of Darkness

I apologize if this has been addressed already, but is there a reason why they didn't get the original 1980s voice actors to reprise their roles? Having said that, they did a tremendous job finding "sound alike" actors.

7. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

The '87 TMNT voice actors (Cam Clarke, Townsend Coleman, Rob Paulsen, Barry Gordon, et al) all belonged to a union, so 4Kids couldn't afford to hire them for Turtles Forever. But the replacements did a credible job; Dan Green's Leo took some getting used to, but I adapted to his voicing after a couple of lines.

8. rallyrev

rallyrev Member

It doesn't work at all for me in Internet Explorer, but it works in Firefox.

9. ABrown

ABrown Active Member

What the heck is Firefox? Isn't that a Nintendo character???

10. Lemanic

Lemanic Member

Where the shell have you been the last 5 years?

11. rallyrev

rallyrev Member

LOL, no. Firefox is a web browser that does the same things Internet Explorer does, (which you might have been able to infer from the nature of my statement, like if I compared Coke and Pepsi and you didn't know what Pepsi was) but features greater capabilities for customization.

You're thinking of Fox McCloud, from Star Fox.

12. Anarky

Anarky Team Conan

can't enjoy the uncut movie because of those bleeping commercials, especially the NBA ad (irate Sonics fan!:mad:)

13. cohenmarioman

cohenmarioman Active Member

The uncut versions ending is much more explained

14. Anarky

Anarky Team Conan

tried again today, fell into a constant ad loop after the first break :mad:

15. Anarky

Anarky Team Conan

You're not alone GregX, I use Mozilla Firefox yet when I play the movie I get caught in a vicious ad loop. I haven't been able to get the past the ad break when Ch'rell is transported from the ice belt to the Technodrome.

Anyone, advice/tips???

16. rattis1

rattis1 Active Member

Saw it for the first time a yesterday, and i loved it.

I found it very fitting that, as silly as they were, it was nevertheless characters from the 87 universe who ended up saving the entire TMNT multiverse (first the 87 Turtles preventing Shredder from killing the Mirage Turtles, and then of course Rocksteady and Bebop accidentaly killing Shredder).

Im not sure if the symbolism here was intentional, but if i found this scenario fitting since in a sense, the 87 series actually DID save the TMNT franchise. Even if the Turtles originated in the pages of a grimdark Mirage comic, it was the juvenile TMNT cartoon that brought the Turtles into the mainstream, that made "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" a household name, and that, through the money it made and the appreciation for the franchise that it created among pretty much an entire generation, allowed for the creation of later TMNT cartoons, films and comics (not to mention that its STILL by FAR the most well known and beloved TMNT version). So basically, even though the Mirage comics would of course have existed even without the 87 toon, no other version would.

So yeah, the fact that the goofy 87 characters played such a vital role in saving the TMNT multiverse in the film feels to me like the movie is expressing the notion that "sure, those pizza-addicted, "COWABUNGA"-shouting goofballs and their universe is silly and lame, but the TMNT franchise sure owes a lot to them".

17. gobo

gobo Member

Very deep... I never thought of it that way.

18. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Active Member

Old toon Don also invented the portal stick that transported everyone and saved them twice:

- When Hun was destroying their lair

- When the 2k3 universe was being erased

19. rattis1

rattis1 Active Member

Well, considering that the people who made the movie obviously knew their TMNT history, i think this symbolism might have actually been intentional. And if it is, i think it serves as a nice counterweight to how overtly childish the 87 Turtles came of in the film

Of course, personaly, i didn't have a problem with their childishness. Even in the actuall 87 cartoon, these versions of the characters never displayed the mentality of crimefighters as much as ten year olds playing crimefigthers. I think this is one of the reasons both to why that cartoon seems so juvinile to an adult, but so captivating and appealing to a child. Basically, while an adult just finds the happy and silly behavior that the turtles display on their life-threatening adventures to be so completely unrealistic that he cant be drawn into the story, a child becames becomes completely drawn into the story because the the characters in the show pretty much lives his ultimate dream; namely, being on exciting adventures while also lacking any sense of being in actuall danger, and instead laughing and jokeing (and eating delicious pizza :p) while being utterly convinced that he and his buddies, the good guys, will without the shadow of a doubt defeat the bad guys and save the day in the end.

#379 rattis1, Dec 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2009
  20. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

So I finally got around to watching this on 4Kids's website. Overall, I liked it, especially the scene where the Turtles meet their Mirage counterparts. The whole look to that scene was very cool, with its B&W comic book style and of course, the grittier, growly portrayals of the original Turtles. There was good tension when the device that is supposed to save the world from being engulfed doesn't work right away, too. In fact, the whole end to the episode reminded me of the Duckman episode "Color of Naught", wherein everything is reduced to sketches and eventually nothing.

TMNT 2003 in TMNT 1987 world was amusing, too, especially since they basically state they rescue April every day. The banana peeling scene, as I had seen it earlier in a gif in this thread, had me smiling wide.

Biggest laugh in the movie was probably near the end, when Krang does his trademark high-pitched growl and then says, "Excuse me", like it was a belch. :D

I did like how the film didn't overstay its welcome, either; 78 minutes was the perfect length for this.

My only real complaints?
    -They couldn't use the familiar 1987 Turtles melodies. I assume this was because they couldn't get the rights to them, and the melodies they DID use were OK and sort of evoked the feel of the old show, but I would've loved to hear those original songs in this movie mixed in with the 2003 melodies. Heck, they could've done another self-referential joke: One of the 2003 Turtles could've said: "Jeez, how many times does this music cue play?!"

-The VAs for the 1987 Turtles were a very mixed bag. Rebecca Soler as April was DEAD ON (seriously, I looked on imdb to see if it was the original VA, that's how close it was), and Bebop and Rocksteady were generally good, but the Turtles themselves fluctuated all over the place. At times, they sounded somewhat similar, but then other times, they barely sounded like the originals. The best was Raph; the worst was easily Leonardo, who didn't sound like Cam Clarke's portrayal at all, except in brief moments.