TMNT Talkback: Episode 4.24 (25): "Good Genes, pt. 2" (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by Ian, Apr 7, 2006.

?

The Turtles/Bishop alliance...

1. A match made in heaven.

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Eeh...not surprising, really--it was bound to happen.

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
  1. Ian

Ian ¬°Mierda santa! ¬°Ninjas!

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Episode 4.24 (25): Good Genes, part 2
    Original Air Date: April 8, 2006
    Written by Christopher Yost

Previously on TMNT: Searching for leads on how to cure the mutated Donatello, the turtles and Leatherhead make their way to Area 51, homebase of the Earth Protection Agent Bishop. There, they reach an agreement: the turtles will retrieve and return to Bishop a high-tech amulet currently held by the Foot, in exchange for a cure for Donny. However, there are two things the turtles don't know: one, that Bishop doesn't have an anti-virus, and two, that the only reason Bishop even knows about the amulet is because he was told about it by a seemingly omniscient entity...and those are never good.

This week, on TMNT: The Turtles infiltrate the Foot's latest headquarters. You'd think that by now, the Foot would have learned to save themselves the trouble of defending the thing and to just let the turtles in.

Random note: You know, I was thinking that the only similarity between the Heart of Tengu and the Sword of Tengu was their names, at least until I remembered: the only reason Splinter could defeat the Mystics was because he was using the Sword of Tengu. So now I'm thinking that the thing that made the Sword of Tengu so effective against the Mystics is the same thing that allows the Heart of Tengu to control them--meaning that the similarity in names is very much intentional.

2. Inner City Blue

Inner City Blue Diamond in the Back

I noticed that too, much like apple juice and apple sauce both have "apple" in the name, plus they taste very similar. I'm thinking they are definitely related and the naming must be intentional.

3. Simpler Simon

Simpler Simon Always in Style

Isn't Tengu a Japanese mythological bird demon or something like that? I never did quite get the naming...

4. sdp

sdp God

a bird warrior, also Power Rangers Grunt army guys ;D
    [​IMG]

5. LordTerminal

LordTerminal The old-school DK is back!

Great line from Raph after seeing Foot Mechs: "oooh toys":D

He still continues to be my favorite turtle.

EDIT: Now Raph's tearing the place up with a mech.

6. Duke

Duke Truer Words Were Never Spoken

Actually, they're called Tengas.

7. sdp

sdp God

wow, what a great episode, i've been positive about fast forward but man unless they resolve this next episode i'm kind of moody about it as well now.

i guess we were right about the 'real' shredder thing now ;D

oh, i'm a little rusty in PR then

8. Dark Fact

Dark Fact Preaching evil since '04

Wow, just wow!

I thought last week's first parter was good...but today? Wow!

The whole episode just had me on the edge of my seat. It's been a long time since I saw an episode of the turtles with pacing this good!

So, the mysterious cloaked figure was just one of the foot mystics in disguise and they had the turtles steal the Heart of Tengu just to have it destroyed and set them free? Brilliant scheme!

And it turns out that there is a REAL Shredder after all! But what's this about a resurrection? Is the real Oroku Saki comotose somewhere or is he dead and the foot mystics are planning to bring him back to life?

Next week looks to be the season finale. Guess they won't air "Insane in the Membrane" after all.

P.S. Casey hocking a computer monitor at the other monitors just to disrupt the security system and blacking out half the city is comedy gold! :D

9. Inner City Blue

Bah, Fast Forward does not look like a good idea right now. The whole origin of the Shredder and the mystic Turtles would have been a much better storyline.

10. Dark Fact

I agree. To have the turtles get thrown into the future now just when the plot to resurrect the true Shredder is getting underway could really compromise the pacing of the show. :sad:

I still can't believe they're not going to bother with "Insane in the Membrane" though...

11. Inner City Blue

It will be on the DVD's at least, I buy those, so I don't mind, I guess it will be the only episode on the wiki episode guide that will remain "Unaired."

12. Leonardo San

Leonardo San New Member

Yeah, I know how you feel but the Lost Season will be out on DVD in the fall it looks like. According to what Dan Berger said. So, I got a feeling that we'll see this original Shredder on that. Unless, it's a part of Fast Forward.

13. Simpler Simon

Simpler Simon Always in Style

Next weeks the SEASON FINALE?! So what does this say for Insane in the Membrane?

As for the episode itself....man that didn't fly. I definitely wish we'd started off these plot threads earlier in the season now, because they crammed so much foreshadowing and setup for the "real Shredder" story in that the "bow tie" resolution for the outbreak was only given a few scenes to develop itself. This is not the way you end the season's major plotline.

Karai: This is what happens when you revamp a character but don't give her enough development time. She's been an utterly pathetic wannabe this whole season and letting the turtles slip in and out so easily is embarassing. Were we ever supposed to take her seriously? "Watch out for Shredder!"? Yeah right.

The Mystics: The writers tipped their hand too early. While they were the most likely suspects for the transmission, it didn't need to be spelled out.

Someone should've taken another pass at this script in the editing room.

14. Dark Fact

That or if someone might put the episode up on Youtube.

I wonder who all those people were along the Shredder members in the Ninja Tribunal? They surely couldn't be there just to test the turtles...:sweat:

15. Leonardo San

Leonardo San New Member

Never mind. You can't upload copyright material it says. Sorry. :(

16. Dark Fact

That's alright, Leonardo San. I guess some of us will have to deal with the episode never airing unless 4Kids decides to put up the episode during the summer repeats somehow. :shrug:

17. Inner City Blue

People, remember, this is a show for kids, some things do need to be spelled out.

18. Anarky

Anarky Team Conan

I hope "The Lost Season" will be released prior to the debut of Fast Forward (Sep). I also hope that those 13 eps don't leave any loose ends and if so, that they're resolved in S6.

This ep was pretty tight. Interesting to see the true forms of the Foot Mystics. I wonder if we'll be seeing this oft-rumored "Worms of Madness" next wkd.

Curious if the "real" Shredder is in fact the original Oroku Saki from feudal Japan/Edo. I have a feeling we're in for a LOT of history & backstory (perhaps Battle Nexus fodder as well)

Also, it was nice to see Bishop get PLAYED. How'd that TASTE!!!

19. Sharklady

Sharklady New Member

Definitely a better-than-average story this time.

Between the Mystics allowing the TMNTs to pass, and Karai being so upset at losing the Tengu pendant, it wasn't too hard to figure out the thing's significance. It was a bit of a twist to see it blown up, and learn who Bishop's 'allies' where (one double-cross deserves another!)

My favorite line: Baxter's exasperated "Back-seat scientists!"

20. CyberCubed

CyberCubed New Member

One thing I like is that no matter how many times the TMNT fight the Foot, the writers cleverly do it a different way each time. None of the TMNT Vs. Foot fights were rehashes of each other.

The way they did this one was perfect. No big battle, just the TMNT getting what they need and leaving. Otherwise it'd just turn into the same as the previous 10 TMNT Vs. Foot episodes.

Baxter's line, "You stupid animal!" to Leatherhead was great. :D

It is a shame to see the outbreak resolved so quickly, as well as Don and the Minnetonka mutant, but better resolve it now rather than leave loose ends hanging.

Bishop being played for once, awesome! And by the Foot Mystics no less! I wonder what this "true" Shredder will turn out to be, and this storyline could very well continue into Fast Foward.

So now the only thing left hanging were those mysterious figures that the Ancient One was talking to.

(Oh, and Hun too, but his storyline isn't terribly important)