title of this bizaree Tex Avery cartoon?

Discussion in 'The Termite Terrace Trading Post' started by Bakertoons, Mar 9, 2004.

1. Bakertoons

Bakertoons Don't break a Pinkie Promise.

Does anyone know the title of this bizaree Tex Avery cartoon?

All I remember is it was about this guy who is in Heaven and he tells his life story to Mr. Webster, and through out the entire cartoon, it was full of expressions...taken literally (like "born with silver spoon in the mouth", "raining cats and dogs", "cat got your tongue", etc.)

I think I saw it on Cartoon Network in "Acme Hour" few years ago and only saw it once, but I remember it.

2. B Mode

B Mode New Member

That would be "Symphony in Slang"(1951)Avery. Hopefully now we will being seing more Avery gems on CN.

3. J Lee

J Lee New Member

"Symophony in Slang" (1951). Avery's first ventue into some UPA-style animation, though Tex said the biggest problem was Fred Quimby couldn't figure out the gags when he saw the film.

4. Bakertoons

yep. That's it!

Thanks

5. B Mode

B Mode New Member

That's because Fred Quimby wasn't hip to the jazz! :cool:

6. Tom41

Tom41 WHAT?!

Is that the one where he goes to heaven and talks to the 'master of the dictionary' with tons of double-meaning phrases? Things like "I died laughing" with him laughing as undertakers carry him off.

I saw something like that on the Disney channel several years ago, so I assumed it was a Disney cartoon - maybe not!

7. Bakertoons

I think that's the one. I remember the ending scene with him dieing of laughter.

8. ThePeterNetwork

ThePeterNetwork Smurf Life!

Now of course, the big question is, did this dude actually make it to Heaven with his jive talk? :)

9. absolutpaul

absolutpaul New Member

That cat is hilarious. I've never laughed so hard at a two-frame animation before.

10. B Mode

B Mode New Member

Actually the end gag for "Symphony in Slang" is when the hip guy finishes telling the whole story to St. Peter(or whoever he is?), and he's tongue tied, and the hipster says to him.,."whats a matter, has the cat got your tongue..?" And they all look over to the cat on the side, and he pulls out a tongue behind his back.

This truly is a brilliant short from Avery. It's like watching Benny Hill, you gotta rewind it to catch all the jokes.