1. We're giving away Twin Saga MMO Starter Packs! Get your free key here: Twin Saga Starter Pack Giveaway
  2. Episode 13 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-13/

We discuss The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the Nintendo Switch, 20 years of Toonami, Toonami’s first era on Cartoon Network, the Adult Swim era, and what we’d like to see from Toonami in the future.

Dismiss Notice

"Tiny Toons Adventures, Vol. 1" and "Freakazoid, Vol. 1" DVD Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by Keeper, Oct 31, 2007.

1. Keeper

Keeper Active Member

Warner seems to be committed to producing at least two sets of TTA. The staff are being interviewed currently for the first two sets in one go.

The first set's extras will cover the development of the series and characters. The second set's will focus on the creative team.

If anyone has a particularly good question that isn't already known within the fan community, send it to me today or tomorrow and I'll pass it on. No guarantee it'll make the final edit, of course.

2. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

Also: I wonder, at the same time the first and/or second Tiny Toon DVD sets come out, will Warner Bros. release the first 2 Tiny Toon DVD set volumes in Blu-Ray Disc format since Warner Bros. recently did a deal to release Blu-Ray Discs more often rather than HD-DVD's?

I know there's Smallville Season sets in Blu-Ray and HD-DVD format besides DVD format.

3. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

I kind of doubt it, but anything is possible.

4. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Fourteen Years!

I can't see it happening at all. Tiny Toons isn't the kind of show that needs a Blu-Ray release. It's 17 years old. I don't think you'll ever seen stuff like this on Blu-Ray.

5. DrTooth

DrTooth Active Member

I know this is kind of late, but I really would love to see a Don Messick tribute somewhere in a set. I mean, WB has the rights to the Hanna Barbera shows, so they could put something together using both that, and footage of Hampton J. Pig.

All it's going to do is make the show look terrible, if you ask me. I mean, I don't want to see paint scratches and stuff like that on an animated series DVD. And that's all you'll get with more definition. Distortion.

6. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Those sound great. I'm glad that we'll be getting some extras with them and not just the episodes. I mean, just having the episodes would be nice too, but extras make it even better.

Anyway, other questions? It's a long shot but you could ask what the deal was with Encore Cartoons.

7. DrTooth

DrTooth Active Member

I have a question. When they eventurally get to the TTV or whatever episodes with the Music videos, do you think Warners will get the rights to all the music? Did they even pay for "Little Old Lady from Passadina?" in Animaniacs? Even still, that was one song.

I mean, the first Muppet show DVD had numerous cuts, and it was a 2 year wait for the second volume due to the fact they had to work hard to clear the music rights. Just want to know if this is an issue or not.

8. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

For a BEST OF DON MESSICK DVD/Blu-Ray set: It would include besides Hanna-Barbera cartoons and at least 1 Tiny Toon episode, some MGM cartoons he did voices (The House of Tomorrow and some Droopy shorts). The DVD set could even include the Toby Danger cartoon from Freakazoid where Don Messick did a voice!

#148 dth1971, Jan 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2008
  9. Goldstar Neo

What Dr. Tooth meant was a Don Messick tribute as an extra on the Tiny Toons DVD, not as a separate DVD on it's own. We loved Don, but his name isn't a household word. Only geeks like us who pay attention to detail even know who he was. Joe and Jane average would look at that and ask "Who's Don Messick?" I doubt that a Don Messick Tribute DVD would sell very well. And it sure as frell wouldn't be released in Blu-Ray format.

10. DrTooth

DrTooth Active Member

Indeed what I was thinking. A short tribute to him, as given by the available cast of TTA as a bonus feature. Nothing more. Even still, a tribute DVD would have had to come out 10 years or so ago when he actually passed on to be relevant.

11. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

I will put my 2 cents worth that the Tiny Toon Volume 1 DVD set (and the Freakazoid Volume 1 DVD set) will be out by Summer or Fall 2008.

It's just a prediction/speculation.

12. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

It should be sooner than that...the buzz I've heard is that Tiny Toons Volume 1 is set to come out first quarter 2008, which generally means somewhere around the January through March time frame. Freakazoid! Volume 1 will likely come out around that same time or possibly sometime after that. Of course, we'll have to wait and see for sure.

#152 Silverstar, Jan 24, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2008
  13. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

But there is no press release from Warner Bros. yet for either Tiny Toons or Freakazoid on DVD and its release date for March 2008!

14. Keeper

Keeper Active Member

What I heard from mumblednameofsomeoneatwarnerhomevideo was a definite "NOT Q1 2008."

I'm thinking summer.

15. Silverstar

That's too bad. A spring release would have nice, as that would've come right after my birthday. Ah well. At least we're still getting them this year. I've waited this long, a few more months isn't going to kill me.

16. DisneyFan

DisneyFan Very Avid Rainbow Dash Fan

I hope to god that if it does come out on Blu-ray it comes out on DVD too. There are quite a few people like me who are to cheap to buy a Blu Ray Player or Playstation 3. I am really looking forward to this show coming out.

17. Goldstar Neo

I would be very surprised if the Tiny Toons DVD came out exclusively on Blu-Ray. If anything, I would expect it to come out on DVD first, if Warner Brothers would bother to format an animated series from 1991 into Blu-Ray format at all.

18. Silverstar

If we're extremely lucky, TWT will release the DVDs in both formats simultaneously.

Maybe.

19. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

Summer 2008 was my first speculation for the release of Tiny Toons DVD/Blu-Ray Volume 1 and Freakazoid DVD/Blu-Ray Volume 1.

Also: Regarding no date set for Animaniacs DVD set Volume 4: I hope Warner Bros. clears the music rights for the Macarena song since it was parodied as Macadamia Nut during the final Animaniacs season in 1997 before they give Animaniacs DVD Volume 4 a go, just like Warner Bros. has to clear the music rights for the songs in Tiny Toon Music Television (2 songs by They Might Be Giants, the "Respect" song by Aretha, and the "Money" song by Barrett Strong) and the songs in Toon TV ("Shoop Shoop Song", "Yakkity Yak", "The Name Game", and "Do You Love Me") before the DVD's they are slated to be in come out.

20. Silverstar

Acquiring "Dot the Macadamia Nut" shouldn't be a problem, since it was a parody, and not the original Macarena song performed by the original artists, Los Del Mar. There's no legal restrictions placed on parodies or spoofs. The songs used in the Tiny Toons episodes "TT: Music Television" and "Toon TV" are a different matter, as most of them were just recordings of the original songs using the voices of the actual artists who originated them, and as such the legal rights would need to be obtained before WB can reproduce them on their DVD releases. It's possible the musical TT episodes could simply be omitted from the TT DVDs.