1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Tiny Toons Adventures, Vol. 1" and "Freakazoid, Vol. 1" DVD Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by Keeper, Oct 31, 2007.

1. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

Why does it all have to be so secretive? If the fans of the show don't know what's going on, and the people who sell the show don't know, and the people who made the show don't know, and only a few people behind closed doors know anything but never admit any of it beyond cryptic carefully-worded sentences.....why does it have to be that way? Why exactly can we not be trusted with the truth?

2. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Fourteen Years!

Exactly. What's the big secret? Do you know something that almost no one else knows, keeper? I have a hard time believing your that privileged. "Young fans". I find that insulting. I'm 29 and even I have no clue what's going on. Why the big tease?

And Vileone, you dont have to rub it in, either. Not really cool.

3. Silly McGooses

Silly McGooses Active Member

The "secret" is obviously a huge drop-off in sales. A lot of people (like myself) bought the first one out of nostolgia but felt no need to follow through all the way with the series. I'm sure something similar happened with a lot of other, more casual buyers.

4. DarthGonzo

Still, it's a shame considering how close we are to completion. Not like this hasn't happened before (Disney, I'm looking at you.) And whose to say that this wont happen again with Tiny Toons?

5. Silly McGooses

It very well could happen with Tiny Toons. And even Freakazoid, unfortunately (which is why I wish they just did a complete series).

6. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

I don't think it will happen to Freakazoid since they said that's what they are focusing on right now. Freakazoid is a shorter series to release, as well as one that's easier to commit to on DVD.

7. Keeper

Keeper Active Member

It has to do with legal issues and contracts, yada yada. But in general, corporate chats like that will only say what has already been in a press release, so there's no sense in getting excited with anticipation over an event like that, unless it coincides with the issuance of a press release (but such a thing usually will be well advertised as featuring a special announcement).

"Young" in that case is more about experience in those sort of things than age (but hey, it could be age too; I'll be 38 this month, you whipper-snapper!). I'm just trying to be the voice of reason and experience to temper the boundless and disappointment-bound enthusiasm you guys have. TTA fans are an excitable bunch, it seems...! ("TTA revived in 2010", anyone?)

And yes, I know many things "that almost no one else knows". Not about the DVDs, but certainly over the past 13 years people who were involved in these shows have told me things that I can't repeat. Suffice to say though that, as always, what I can tell you, I will, though lately I don't update my web site like I should... but at least I'll post here, eh?

As concerns DVDs, I really don't think there is any "truth" out there to be found. What's planned is planned; what isn't planned isn't. It doesn't mean that which isn't planned won't ever be. They pretty much said that in the chat excerpt posted here, regarding TTA specials. I wouldn't get your hopes up about it, but then again, I used to say that about any of these shows making it to DVD in the first place.

Heck, there are people who still haven't bought ANY volumes of the Animaniacs DVDs, because they can't afford it. These are the much younger fans though, I think -- those who were little kids when the show was on and now are only teenagers without any decent income or savings.

8. Brad12

Brad12 Active Member

i think finally i understand you Keeper. You're saying what's planned is planned and what isn't isn't. Basically you're saying that there's no big secret on why Animaniacs Volume 4 hasn't happened, they just never had any intention of making it right now. Yeah i finally read you. however Warner seems like to release things in two all the time. Batman the animated series always had a show to come out with that's why it made it to have all its DVDs come out. Animaniacs came out with Pinky and the Brain but Pinky and the Brain finished after 3 volumes with Animaniacs having one more but it had no show to come out with. That being said and WB like to release two shows at once, that's my speculation to why Warner has not yet planned it. We've all gotten it clear that Warner wants to releast TTA in 3 DVD boxsets meaning after Volume 2 of TTA and F! Freakazoid wil be finished and just like A! TTA will also be at one last volume without a show to come out with so once again with my speculation that could me A! vol. 4 might go back into production once F! is finished and TTA is down to one final Volume. But once again these are my speculations for y A! Vol. 4 was never planned and not speculations for any delay reasons. Thanks again Keeper for clearing all that up. It all makes sense now. if its not planned its not planned. nuff said.

9. Keeper

Keeper Active Member

Yes; sorry if it hadn't been said here before (I thought it had), but Animaniacs vol. 4 is not "delayed", because it never got to the "planned" stage.

Your theory about it fitting in with a later volume of TTA would make sense, but of course this is Warner Bros. we're talking about...

But yes, the first news of such a thing will disseminate in one of two ways.

:yakko: De-what?

Disseminate.

:wakko: Can you say that?

:yakko: I dunno, but I wish the Nurse would disseminate me.

Whoa, whoa, watch it. You're going to attract the Network Censor.

:wakko: Anvil at the ready!

:yakko: Put that away, Wakko. Let's just play it safe this time.

:dot: That's right, kids: Always practice Safe Dissemination!

Oy! Don't say I didn't warn you.

:imgie: I'm the Network Censor, and I must protest most vehemen-M&M-emently about this entire scene!

:wakko: Where did I just put that anvil? It was here a second ago...

:yakko: C'mon, lady. They get away with much more crass stuff in cartoons these days.

:imgie: That's different; they're SUPPOSED to be adult.

:dot: Yeah, and that's why they're not funny.

:imgie: Well, I don't know about that.

:yakko: You wouldn't.

(beep boop beep beep) Hey, Cosgrove? Can I ask a favor? I need you to say something loudly over the phone for me. (whisperwhisper) On three, OK? One, two, three!

"Hey. Cut it out."

:yakko: ...
    :wakko: ...
    :dot: ...
    :imgie: ...

Works every time. Hey, thanks, Mike. I owe you one. ... Hmm? ... Oh, gosh, y'know, I'd love to, but I'm kinda in the middle of something. Maybe ask Freakazoid; he likes lip balm. Yeah, see ya.

OK, as I was saying...

News about these things either gets announced officially through a press release or well advertised Special Announcement, or is leaked. Leaks happen by one involved person emailing someone to put the word out, or posting on a semi-private blog. A leak isn't likely to happen in a big corporate public chat like that event, which is why I urged not getting your hopes up. It had nothing to do with my history of being someone who is leaked to -- just experience knowing how these things work.

10. Tobias

Tobias Who you gonna call?

I fall into the range. As someone who pretty much lives from paycheck to paycheck, after all my bills are paid, I have only so much left for DVD's. Unless it's a really good month, I can't put out anymore than say, 20 - 25 bucks at any given time, and with TTA/Animaniacs/P&TB falling into the mid 30 - 45 dollar range...

I really do want to get these shows, but I just can't justify paying that much for them at the moment. I had the same deal with the Thundercat releases, and I've yet to see ANY of those volumes drop in price.

11. YoshiAngemon1985

YoshiAngemon1985 New Member

Maybe they're in the midst of making a Complete Series Pack, with a Special Water Tower Packaging. Who knows what might happen?

12. DarthGonzo

True, but I doubt it.

13. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Talk about the alternate-account blues...

But I hope that's not what they're planning. I'm already less-than-happy about double dipping for Powerpuff's complete series set, and I only own 1/6 of the show. If I have to double-dip for 3/4 of Animaniacs, especially if that 1/4 I'm getting for the first time wasn't all that hot in the first place, I'm getting hostile.

14. YoshiAngemon1985

YoshiAngemon1985 New Member

Oh, don't worry about that. If they ever DECIDE to do something like that, I'll most likely buy it, since I haven't gotten any Animaniacs DVDs. Same goes for Batman: The Complete Animated Series. I'll trade in the one boxset I have of that show, and save some green on the Complete set.

15. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

I wish Warner Bros. released a DVD/Blu-Ray 2 pack of Tiny Toon Adventures: How I Spent My Vacation and Animaniacs: Wakko's Wish in 1 package!

16. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

I don't doubt that WB will release those onto DVD/Blu-Ray at some stage, but why would they release them together in 1 package? Tiny Toons and Animaniacs are 2 completely different shows. At the most, both releases could hit the selves the same day.

17. Tobias

Tobias Who you gonna call?

Because it's becoming common to release films 2 to a disc. WB recently did this with Batman Beyond: ROTJ/Mystery of the Batwoman, Mask of the Phantasm/SubZero, and all the Scooby Doo Animated Movies. Venture into Target or Wal-Mart and they'll have whole sections dedicated to films being packaged 2, 3, and 4 films one to two discs.

A! and TTA both being Spielberg shows, I can see those two being packaged together in one set once both films are released individually.

18. Framwinkle

Framwinkle Crazy Squirrel

TTA and A! DVDs

Reading through this thread has been quite informative. I learned things about TTA and Animaniacs that I never knew, and I'm glad there are some people on the inside here to tell us such things.

I must say, they'd better release the fourth volume of Animaniacs! I've never had cable tv, so when Animaniacs went to the WB, I missed out on all the new episodes, so I've never even seen that stuff. The last disk in the 3rd volume was almost all new to me, and I want to see the more of it. I only just recently discovered the "Dot the Macadamea" video, and I was blown away. That's got to be one of the best cartoons they've ever done. I love all the different characters interacting, and especially the way Hello Nurse and Minerva get elevated to roles nearly equal to Dot, since they didn't get much respect in the rest of the show. If they don't put that on DVD I may just have to march down to L.A. with a sack of anvils and a mallet and wreak some havok!

The same goes for Tiny Toons. As far as I'm concerned, I think Babs is quite possibly the best cartoon character ever created, and I was thrilled to be able to have some of the episodes on DVD. (My VHS collection is getting kind of old.) It would simply be sinful of them not to release the whole series, including the specials, since those were some of the best parts of the show. I'm really getting tired of all the shows I liked as a kid not being finished. Disney seems to be especially bad about that. Hopefully WB will have more sense than to stiff the fans.

As for the TTA DVD set, I was a little disapointed in the quality of the video. I realize that it was never meant to be in HD, but some of it was pretty grainy. Maybe there was nothing they could do about that, though. I did like that they put the Looney Beginning at the beginning. That may not have been the first episode, but that's the way the story ought to be told, which is something Disney could stand to learn with their shows. I really didn't like the double-sided disk, though. Not only does it rob you of the chance to have two more characters grace the top of two disks, but it makes handling the disk a lot trickier. It would have made me feel a lot safer if they'd all been one sided. I want these disks to last, after all.

19. Silly McGooses

Welcome to the boards, Framwinkle!

20. Framwinkle

Framwinkle Crazy Squirrel

Thank you! I'm glad to be here!