1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Tiny Toon Adventures - Volume 3" DVD Discussion

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by snowpeck, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Lenny128

Lenny128 Likes Cartoons

Just got it today and in my opinion it's pretty good. I've waited so long for them to continue the series on dvd and finally released more of it.

What I like: Besides the show itself the quality on the discs is not bad at all to me. It's basically at the same level the previous volume box sets had.

What I dislike: I'm a little worried this set won't sell a lot or be drastically overlooked because of this really toddler-ish box art. Warner Bros. did you forget this is a show for everybody not just the kindergarteners. Plus why call it "crazy crew rescues" when you could have just called it "Tiny Toon Adventures Season 2 and a piece of 3" or at least something related to the show. This last thing is a nitpick but as soon you put the disk in you would probably see right away that no effort was put into the main menu and episode select screens compared to the previous volume sets of this and other animated series from WB. It looks more like a homemade dvd and it makes me think that Warner Bros. just slap the cartoons on 2 discs and put it in market just to get the fans to be quiet, if they were listening.

But besides that it's more of this really awesome show and a good purchase

#41 Lenny128, Jan 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2013
  2. DaffyDonaldQW93

I liked the qualltiy, and also the fact that some episodes had their original closed captioning bug in the main title. It's too bad they couldn't include "Toon TV" but on the other hand- ONE BEER is no longer banned!

I agree with Lennny128, why suddenly appeal to the kiddies cover wise?

I bet Jerry Beck can answer that in a heartbeat!

3. looneyfan93

looneyfan93 Member

I'm afraid not. The only WB stuff I see being released on DVD in Poland is Looney Tunes (at least until 2011, it's pretty quiet now), Tom & Jerry, Scooby Doo, Batman and all those new movies. If you wanna be up-to-date with what's Warner releasing in Poland on DVD, I suggest checking the distributor's website: Serwis Galapagos

4. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

I got the DVD today and I agree, the menus are pretty dull. Not that the first two sets were amazing but at least they had TTA artwork on the episode selection menus. This is just the titles in text with a simple gradient background. I'm grateful that WB released more of the series but the menu presentation does feel half-hearted. (Though at least they actually played the TTA theme over it this time, unlike HISMV)

I've re-watched a few episodes so far. Right now, the episode which got me to laugh the most is "Going Places".

5. EJLD4Ever

EJLD4Ever Animation Student

Speaking of "Toon TV" (assuming it is coming out on the next set)...I wonder what WB is going to do about music licensing and royalties for the songs included in that episode. Will they be able to get the rights to include it or not?

6. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

"Toon TV" is later in the episode order. It wasn't going to be on Vol. 3.

7. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Now that I've rewatched all the episodes, I have to say that besides the aforementioned "Going Places", my favorite episodes on the set were "Hog-Wild Hamton", "Buster and Babs Go Hawaiian", "Henny Youngman Day", "Kon Ducki" (though mainly for the making-of segment), "Sepulveda Boulevard", "Thirteensomething", and "Fox Trot".

I also have to say, while the first two segments of "New Class Day" were just OK, I absolutely LOVE "A Night in Kokomo". It's got that quick, witty banter that the Marx Bros. movies had and I was laughing quite a bit. It's one of those episodes that you appreciate more as you get older.

The only episode which I think is an outright dud is "What Makes Toons Tick", despite the always nice TMS animation. Though I did get a kick out of the credit gag: "What These Three Cartoons Have In Common: NOTHING." It's funny 'cuz it's true!

8. Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo Gatchaman G-6

I'm late to the party as I just found out today the set came out so of course I bee-lined to Amazon and ordered it. It's a good month for old toons as with Tiny Toons out now and Animaniacs out in early Feb. and Warner Archive put out Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kids from the 70's this past week out and 1/29 is Mental Misadventures of Ed Grimley from the 80's. I mean, come on! I never thought I'd see Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kids on dvd!

9. speedy fast

speedy fast Active Member

Regarding Toon TV, I don't think there'll be any problems with that release. Both of the music video episodes were released on VHS years ago. I assume that if they cleared the music rights for that VHS then they still have the rights. Then again, I do know of some cases where older video releases cleared songs while later DVD releases (particularly complete seasons) had them cut. The older VHS releases of Super Mario Bros. Super Show had the song covers while the DVD releases (which otherwise contain everything that was cut from VHS releases and/or reruns) had to cut the songs. And the Muppet Show episode with Vincent Price was released uncut on video and DVD by Time-Life in 2000 while the song "You've Got a Friend" was cut from the first season DVD release.

10. snowpeck

snowpeck Member

We might be getting volume 4 in May! I saw an Adobe Flash ad for TTA Vol. 3, A! Vol 4, and Duck Dodgers on another website I frequent, and clicking a More Info button brought up mentions of Taz Mania and TTA Vol 4! I couldn't figure out how to link directly to the ad, but I did take a screen grab.

I'd take it with a grain of salt, since the date on Taz-Mania is wrong, but still, at least they're thinking about it!

[​IMG]

11. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

They might have swapped the release dates -- maybe TTA vol. 4 will be in August instead.

12. Leviathan

Leviathan "It's against nature!"
    Staff Member Moderator

That's probable, since Taz-Mania Vol. 1 currently has a May release date (but not that exact one).

It does show that WHV is serious about animation again. After TTA V4., there would just be Wakko's Wish (which I think is a shoo-in for Christmas) and all of the WB/Spielberg.shows would be complete.

13. snowpeck

snowpeck Member

That all depends on if any of the prime-time TTA specials are included on V4. I think it's at least somewhat likely the Christmas one will be, but that still leaves "Night Ghoulery" and "Spring Break."

14. Leviathan

Leviathan "It's against nature!"
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm not sweating those just yet. After all, Elephant Issues.

What I'm most worried about is the music in the final music television episode.

15. snowpeck

snowpeck Member

Plus there's still (shudder) Pinky, Elmyra, and the Brain.

16. Nexonius

Nexonius Ten, count em', ten years!

They could have released PE&TB as Vol.4 of Pinky and the Brain. Save all the trouble.

17. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

They cleared everything in the original one, and what they used in the second was a lot cheaper (or at least felt like it). I don't think "In His Kiss" goes for a premium.

18. Erased Paper

Erased Paper Member

Which version of these episodes are on DVD?

"Kon Ducki": There are two. One version has Buster mentioning "High sea adventure day". The other one does not. I do not know if there are any other differences between the two.

"What Makes Toons Tick": "Nothing to Sneeze At" had an edit on Fox Kids. This most likely has the unedited one.

"New Class Day": In "Just-Us League of Supertoons", there was a scene of Aqua-Mutt in a blender in "The Plucky Duck Show" version of this cartoon, but not in the regular one. However, the "Plucky Duck Show" version starts with the title card. It did not have the first scene that was shown before it.

19. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

"Kon Ducki" on DVD has the intro by Buster. I'll have to check the other two episodes; what specific edit was on "Sneeze"?

20. Erased Paper

Erased Paper Member

Here's what someone wrote years ago.