1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Tiny Toon Adventures leaving Discovery Family

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by ToonamiCN20, Mar 23, 2015.

1. ILDC

ILDC Active Member

The first seasons are, plus you can always find the entire series online.

2. Cartoon Ruler

Cartoon Ruler I Like Waffles

Actually, I think it's possible DiscFam could bring back Animaniacs since it managed to bring back The Adventures of Chuck and Friends and Care Bears: Welcome to Care-a-lot. Both shows weren't seen since the DiscFam rebrand in October (maybe even before).

Anyways, this is certainly great news. I'm more surprised that TTA is airing at a viewable timeslot rather than 5 or 6 in the morning (where all the older shows air).

3. Sparkster24

Sparkster24 Well-Known Member

I think it would be cool if Animaniacs did came back temporarily. But I think it could be nice if they at least merge some variety for a few shows to blend both old & new respectively within the morning times. Like say they could bring back Pound Puppies, probably The Twisted Whiskers Show, Sabrina: Secrets of the Teenage Witch, and maybe R.L. Stine's: The Haunting Hour for Halloween (if they still have the rights to it, but a bit of me doubts it in the same situation of Dan VS. & Aquabats). Plus some of their old Disovery Kids shows like Kenny the Shark, Endurance, Tutenstien (maybe) as examples for the weekends to add if wanting to less out the non-morning Discovery spots (from 12PM-1PM).

Though relating to the announcement.. I'm surprised they're even bringing back Tiny Toon Adventures on the channel again, I didn't really think they would still have the show after it left.

4. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

Too bad Discovery Family when it was The Hub didn't get a chance to air Pinky and the Brain or Freakazoid or Road Rovers.

5. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

I hate to repeat myself, but ALL of those cartoons are on DVD now. You don't need Discovery Family to see them.

6. ToonJay723

ToonJay723 Bingo Bongo

A network can spend thousands of dollars per episode, show them at a specific time slot, and until the contract expires

Or, you could pay somewhere under $250 for every episode of all those shows you mentioned, watch them at any time, and have them forever.

7. Ducktales Fan

Ducktales Fan Classic Television Fan Here

The new version of Pound Puppies is overrated and overplayed. Reducing or even removing one show to air more of another show is becoming *so* typical in these days with any network. More of the same. Don't care for it. This case isn't any different.

In regards to The Hub/Discovery Family reducing or even removing Tiny Toon Adventures, I personally don't like that idea but in the same token it doesn't affect me. I have pretty much stopped watching the network altogether when they ditched their classic live-action programming years ago. I have learned that I am better off not relying on any network as my "to go channel".

8. Cartoon Ruler

Cartoon Ruler I Like Waffles

Uhh...dude, that was old news. Tiny Toon Adventures is actually coming back to DiscFam airing weekends at 2 p.m. starting June 6th.

9. Ducktales Fan

Uhh...miss, okay. I didn't report the news but was asked my thoughts on it. Read it again. Anyways ... two thumbs up with Tiny Toon Adventures still airing somewhere! :)

10. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

Like I said back on page 1, the entire series of Tiny Toon Adventures is available on DVD now, so it honestly doesn't matter to me Discovery Family wants to continue airing the series or not.

11. Ducktales Fan

Even though this series is entirely on DVD, not everyone has the extra money to buy "this want". Needs come first. And simply getting the DVDs isn't as appealing as watching the program on regular television to some. Sometimes, just watching a program on TV is good enough.

12. Goldstar Neo

You see, this mode of thinking has always seemed backwards to me. I would think that most people would prefer the convenience of having a DVD set of their favorite shows and be able to watch them whenever they want to as opposed to sitting on the couch and hoping that some network will one day start airing their favorite show(s) again and be forced to watch them whenever the networks decide to put them on. If you really want to see these shows again, then you shouldn't have a problem with spending a little money for them, but that's just my opinion. Maybe I'm the weirdo here, but whatever.

People really need to stop with the "DVDs are too expensive" excuse 'cause it's a weak one. Cable/satellite TV, video games and the internet aren't necessities either. They're luxuries that cost more then the price of a DVD, and yet people seem to have no problem paying for these luxuries every single month. The cost of a complete season of Tiny Toon Adventures is around $35, which is less than what you'd pay for one meal a sit down restaurant. If you can afford cable, internet and/or video games, you can afford DVDs.

Furthermore, it's naive to think that Disc Fam (or any cable/satellite channel, for that matter) is going to run TTA for all eternity. At some point, TTA is going to leave Disc Fam for good; either the shows' ratings will drop or Discovery's contract for the broadcasting rights to TTA will expire and then TTA will be removed from Disc Fam's schedule. With the DVDs, you'd pay for the set once and then you'd be able to watch the show forever.

Basically, it boils down to "How bad do you want it?" A true fan would do whatever they had to do in order to enjoy their favorite show, but if you're not willing to shell out a little bit of money for something that you enjoy, then obviously it doesn't mean that much to you.

#32 Goldstar Neo, May 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2015
  13. Silverstar

Not trying to dog-pile, but let me just add this to that:

Several of the so-called classic cartoons, such as Tiny Toon Adventures, Animaniacs,The Flintstones, The Jetsons and Scooby-Doo, are also available for legal streaming on sites like iTunes, Netflix, Amazon and Hulu Plus. In any event, people need to stop clinging to the notion that TV is their 1 and only ‘go-to’ resource for these shows, because that’s gradually becoming the case less and less. In fact, the reason a lot of these shows aren’t in regular rotation on TV anymore is BECAUSE of the advent of DVDs and the internet; many network execs and Big Corporation heads feel that because several of these shows are presently already on DVD or soon will be coming to DVD, that they don’t need to run them on TV anymore, and many of them don’t WANT to run them on TV so as not to affect DVD sales; why would anybody want to go out and buy a DVD set of a series when they could just watch it on TV everyday? BTW, I’m not advocating or justifying this mindset, merely explaining it.

No one wants to address the elephant in the room, but it’s time to turn around and face that pachyderm: the all-classics/archive TV channels are like broadcast network SatAM and weekday syndicated blocks: they were a huge part of many of our childhoods and most of us have really fond memories of them, but they’re outdated venues in this day and age and rapidly moving industry. The main if not only reason so many people still cling to them is because of nostalgia, but the hard truth is they’re just not needed anymore. These days there are too many other outlets available to us for those things to be the big deals they once were.

Speaking as someone who really doesn’t watch that much TV anymore, I’d personally rather just pay once for an awesome library of my favorite shows that I can pull up whenever I want and theoretically be able to watch forever than be beholden to some fleeting and fickle network schedule which I know has a limited shelf life, but that’s just me.

So what’s more important to you? The show itself or the way you watch it? ‘Cause that comment seems to point to the latter over the former. If the show truly meant something to you, it wouldn’t matter to you how you viewed it. Yeah, it’s great that DiscFam decided to bring the show back for a while, but make no mistake, any 20-year-old canceled rerun show on a cable network is living on borrowed time. One day TTA’s going to go off the air again, and for good. What then? You’ll be right back here complaining about how TV sucks because your favorite old 90’s era cartoon isn’t airing on TV anymore because as much as these so-called ‘classic television fans’ want to stomp around and cry and throw tantrums and demand that these networks cater exclusively to them and only them, it doesn’t change the fact that you’ve grown up and TV has moved on. Now if you had your own kick-ass DVD collection of your favorite shows, then it wouldn’t matter one whit what the networks did.

The whole “TV or nothing” mentality is a mindset I’ve truly never understood.

#33 Silverstar, May 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2015
  14. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I agree that having your favorite cartoons on DVD is great, but for some reason it also feels great to be able to watch it on TV. I don't know why.
    I'm watching TTA on TV right now. I forgot it was coming on today and I'm really excited about it.

Also, not everyone can afford to buy DVDs of their favorite shows. I mean if they didn't have cable, then it'd make sense to buy DVDs.

15. ToonJay723

ToonJay723 Bingo Bongo

I agree, something about watching a show on TV does feel better, but the thing is, is that people here are begging random networks to buy the rights to random shows. Networks don't have to spend millions of dollars for a few shows that you can buy yourself for under $250. Also, I think the feeling you get from watching something on TV can still be replicated when watching shows on Netflix, Hulu, or iTunes, so you don't have to buy the DVDs, you can buy it from one of those places.

16. Goldstar Neo

True, but the monthly fee of cable or satellite TV is generally higher than the cost of a DVD. Heck, an iPhone and the monthly bill for said iPhone costs just as much (if not more) then a DVD set. Like I said before, it all boils down to how important owning these shows is to you.

17. Silverstar

Maybe I'm the weird one, but I don't really see all that much difference between watching your favorite shows on TV and watching them on DVD or streaming video. To me, it's only important that you get to watch the show that you want to watch and enjoy it. The point I was trying I was trying to make is the part I bolded: it's kind of silly to constantly expect networks to pick up any given show just because we like it or we miss it. That's not how it works. TV doesn't work that way and it never has. They're a business and they have to do whatever makes them the biggest profit; they can't afford to slow down and coddle our nostalgia, nor should they have to when other venues are available.

18. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

You guys are right. It is great to see watch ones favorite show on TV, but it's dumb to get upset that a network doesn't air your favorite show, and demand that they do, when they're alternative ways of watching it.

I was just really happy to see Tiny Toons on TV again (even though the episode was animated by Kennedy Cartoons).

19. Narfpinky

Narfpinky ~splash~
    Staff Member Moderator

I think what the appeal of watching shows on TV is a sense of community. Any number of fans watching a certain channel are watching the same ep together (granted PVRs will greatly skew that). However, I do agree with the above as to why TV channels can't cater or sustain our nostalgic desires.

20. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

This is actually a very good POV. TV airings tend to bring fans of a series together more than DVDs do because everyone is watching the series at the same pace and commenting about it. Even with reruns, it's probably the best way to generate forum discussion. You can have talkbacks with DVDs, but based on my experience, those tend to focus on the various features and extras rather than the series or movie itself.

Anyone remembers this thread? It's probably one of my favorites on the forums, as it shows how much can people appreciate when an old series of cartoons makes it back on TV. It's really not something you can get with DVDs.

I can certainly understand the fact that TV networks can't air everything nor cater to everyone's wishes, but I do think there's merit on wanting something to air on TV. The feeling and experience when compared to DVDs is indeed different.