1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Tiny Toon Adventures leaving Discovery Family

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by ToonamiCN20, Mar 23, 2015.

1. ToonamiCN20

ToonamiCN20 Banned

According to LocateTV, Tiny Toon Adventures is going to be replaced by another airing of Pound Puppies starting April 1st. What are your thoughts on this?

Personally, I had a feeling that it wasn't going to stick around for long since all of the other acquisitions were leaving and you can tell they were phasing it out since it was only on Mon-Thur at 8:30AM.

On a side note, this also marks the end of The Hub/Discovery Family showing classic Fox Kids/Kids WB shows.

2. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

Wow. I didn't know that Tiny Toon Adventures was still airing on Discovery Family (I wasn't sure if DiscFam was still airing Pound Puppies either). TTA had been relegated to weekday mornings a while ago. I'm surprised that DiscFam kept it around as long as they did.

No biggie, since we can always watch Tiny Toons on DVD.

3. Pac-Attack

Pac-Attack Here if I feel like it

It felt out of place at this point so meh.

4. Looney Tunes Fan

Looney Tunes Fan Moon Prism Power, Make Up!

5. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

I thought Tiny Toons was no longer on Fridays on Discovery Family as of this month or last month.

Now let's hope digital subchannel retro network Me TV strikes a deal with Warner Bros. to air a 2 hour weekday block of 1990's Warner Bros. cartoons (Tiny Toon Adventures, Animaniacs, Pinky and the Brain, and Sylvester and Tweety Mysteries).

6. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

Yeah, I wouldn't plan my day around that happening. Also, with the exception of Sylvester & Tweety Mysteries, all of those shows are already on DVD; you don't have to wait for some TV network to pick them up.

7. RandomMe

RandomMe An Imaginary Friend

I didn't know that Discovery Family aired this show post-rebrand...

8. ABrown

ABrown Active Member

I feel like this news is not so much about Tiny Toon Adventures, but more about "Discovery Family" finishing off shows that were featured when they were still "The Hub". It's a shame. I really enjoyed The Hub. Discovery Family not so much...

9. DonkeyKongSong

DonkeyKongSong Active Member

I think they're just getting what they can out of it until the contract expires.

10. Alonso Torrejon

Alonso Torrejon Active Member

If TTA does leave DF, I hope it'll move to Boomerang. If not, I'll just watch episodes online.

11. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Fourteen Years!

They're all on DVD of course...

12. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

Or you could just buy the DVDs. As DarthGonzo pointed out. the entire series is on DVD, which is why I don't see Tiny Toon Adventures going to Boomerang anytime soon. The current folks in charge of Warner Bros. and Turner seem to feel that since many of their old-school cartoons are either on DVD or will be coming to DVD that they don't need to show them on TV anymore. Or perhaps they're intentionally not running them on TV so that people will have a reason to purchase the DVDs of said shows.

13. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

Goldstar's right. That same mentality is why Boomerang let the rights expire to a lot of old Hanna-Barbera shows, and CN/Boomerang gave up on Tiny Toons and its companion series years ago, letting them go to other networks. Once the rights expire at DisFam, that's it.
    [MENTION=8557]dth1971[/MENTION]: Me-TV wouldn't put the cartoons on in a prime spot, as we've seen before. They'd rather run them in the pre-dawn hours for the DVR crowd.

14. cheril59

cheril59 Member

Why not Nicktoons? The news said their NickSports block might air Space Jam.

15. Silverstar

Viacom could conceivably re-acquire TTA, but realistically I don't see them doing that. After all, if Viacom was really interested in re-airing 90's cartoons on Nicktoons, they could just as easily start airing Doug, Rugrats, Ren & Stimpy, Rocko, Hey, Arnold!, Kablam! et all again and that wouldn't cost them a dime.

16. bobbyjoejentry

bobbyjoejentry New Member

I figured it would only be a matter of time before Tiny Toons would get the axe along right after its sister show Animaniacs back in September, does it surprise me? not in the least bit. First of all, it just felt very out of place with the other programs shown in the daytime hours, if you wanted to leave it on, I would have suggested just letting it air around 5 or 6 in the morning along with the original G.I. Joe, Jem and Transformers, it would have been better suited there, rather than have it squeezed in between Rescue Bots and Pound Puppies. Second, even though most people may not have noticed, there were some parents complaining on the Hub/Discovery Family Facebook page about the show being too inappropriate for the little ones who might be watching at that time while scrolling between Nick Junior and Disney Junior. I don't know how you guys feel about this but i'm just throwing it out there. I know its just a different sense of humor compared to their current cartoons. The third reason is extremely obvious, I'm not going to bother mentioning it, but if you don't know what it is, it has to do with DVD's.

In summation, it was a good idea at the beginning, they had their fun. But was very poorly executed in the end, meaning that they had a hand at leading to the Hub's demise. If they had aired these series maybe only once or twice a day for a few months, with the occasional marathon, that would have been fine. But they just overplayed the situation and dragged these series out longer than they needed to. In short, this goes for all of those old school shows put on right before the changeover. They should have just stuck with improving on their original series (Dan Vs, Aquabats, ect) rather than giving those promising series the boot after 1 or 2 seasons for some has-been 80's and 90's shows just to spark a few childhood memories that have died a long time ago and in the end do very little for ratings. Discovery Family is nothing but an afterthought and a shell of its former self anymore. Along with a reminder of what happens when people go too out of hand with the nostalgia factor.

17. Silverstar

:^: Well said.

TTA and A! were 3rd party acquisitions with all (or most) of their episodes on DVD at the time of their acquisition, so they were on borrowed time on The Hub/DiscFam to begin with, and it was the former's over-reliance on those shows (and the nostalgia factor in general) at the expense of their original series which played a huge part in the channel's eventual downfall. Older acquisitions should be treated like a between meal snack/dessert plate on a channel's schedule, not the main course.

18. Looney Tunes Fan

Looney Tunes Fan Moon Prism Power, Make Up!

So...guess what's back? Starting June 6th, Tiny Toon Adventures is airing for an hour every Saturday and Sunday at 2pm and 2:30pm ET.

19. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

Now we need the return of Animaniacs to Discovery Family by July.

20. Silverstar

...Or you could just buy the Animaniacs DVDs. It's not DiscFam's job to keep nostalgic 90's kids satiated with Silver Age WB cartoons, nor should it be. The last thing the channel needs is to become overly dependent on 80's-90's reruns again. If any former Hub series have to return, I'd rather see DiscFam bring back The Aquabats and Dan VS. Those shows were killed way too soon and as yet aren't available on DVD.