1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

time to bring our childhood back

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by fonziecool, Jun 10, 2016.

1. fonziecool

fonziecool New Member

I'm a 42 year old man and I miss my childhood so bad.I go on YouTube to find many cartoons I've watched but Warner brothers and hasbro studios only care about money and not allowing us those who love our cartoons to relive our past.what they need to do is dismantle boomerang and cartoon network. Rebuild and make a 24 hour old school cartoon channel.don't add 90s and 2000s cartoons like Turner did for boomerang.it should be 60s, 70s and 80s cartoons only.anime don't count. Plus can we get decent cartoons? I miss woody woodpecker, deputy dawg,chilly willy,great stuff.I blame the networks too.Abc nbc,and cbs all aren't going to release cartoons from their vaults.they too are moved by the all mighty dollar therefore we can't relive the past,put on our pj's eat cereal and laugh.a friend I f mine I can't give his name he put up 80s Abc Saturday mornings but the commercials and the opening,the middle of the show and the end.it even had full schoolhouserock on there.YouTube they tried but don't wanna get sued by the network or the warners.sad thing is I paid 1.99 to watch Scooby and scrappy doo with yabba and the puppy on nexflix. But I forgot I live in a country that cares bout money and greed instead doing the right thing.

2. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

That is how companies work they simply do what they must to prevent piracy, and yeah that is lame to see how spotty can it be to see some streaming sites as not to many of them go outside of the US.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Super Sonic

Super Sonic Fastest Thing Alive

Going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you've actually purchased most if not all the extensive catalogue of official home video releases for these cartoon properties you wish to see, in which case you ALREADY have a cartoon network you can watch these shows on, called your DVD/Blu-Ray Player. You control what comes on your TV and when it comes on, with the added bonus of no commercials.

Enjoy your cartoons!

4. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

I wrote about this a while back: Why watching a DVD is not the same as watching a show on TV.

There is something to the experience of flipping through the channels, finding your old cartoons in reruns on a TV channel, and just sitting down and enjoying it.

But the gentleman above kept referencing Youtube. Well, yeah, you're not going to find many legally available cartoons there (and the illegal ones get taken down). Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon are possibilities though.

But a good rerun channel would be even better.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. jaylop97

I agree the difference of watching a rerun on TV compared to Streaming/DVD is different, In my defense because you are less tempted to skip over the material and just either go back or continue watching, and of course things are only going down from here when it comes to availability as not always are DVD's going to be getting produced eventually they will stop and this stuff will be even more harder to find.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. DVDLooney

DVDLooney Active Member

(My apologies for reviving this old thread. I just wanted to say something.) It's also difficult to support a cartoon show, too, if the company that produced the shows never releases DVDs for their consumers to buy. This is why people watch those cartoons on other websites online because their availability is rare.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. jaylop97

That can be the downside to this, I can believe the annoyance of this considering many shows don't have every episode released, which does get in the way of those who want to see their favorite shows.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Mr Flintstone

Mr Flintstone Member

I agree that there should be a retro Cartoon Network. Boomerang obviously doesn't cut it anymore. Good thing about YouTube is that they do have quite a few retro toons.

I can understand studios pulling major toons like Looney Tunes, The Flintstones, Smurfs, He Man and so one, but pulling toons like Snorks, Mr T and Shirt Tales is just being greedy.

9. DVDLooney

DVDLooney Active Member

This is why I don't purchase DVDs. I mean, I want to in order to support whomever makes the cartoons I like,,but if they're purposing not trying to release any, then what's the point of even buying only one or two seaons of a cartoon show when the rest won't ever be released?

10. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 The Joy and the Laughter

But if more people buy the DVDs, then maybe they'll release more.

11. DVDLooney

DVDLooney Active Member

You're probably right about that.

12. jaylop97

I would be in favor for a retro CN but it would feel like yet another Boomerang and it will be back in the first place it started with repeats of the same show and the same old same old going on, much like Boomerang pre rebrand 2010's.

13. wonderfly

Yeah, but I think that's what many of us here really want. We want our childhood shows to live on in reruns on some channel forever. Not be told "you have to go buy the DVD". Not be told "you can stream some of them on Hulu/Netflix".

I want it broadcast on TV, complete with commercials featuring my favorite breakfast cereal characters. I want to see advertisements for my favorite toys and video games! I want my childhood back!

Okay, got that out of my system.

But seriously, with so many cable channels and "over the air digital" channels available now, one of them should be able to show reruns of classic cartoons.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. szjdfgs

szjdfgs Well-Known Member

I'm afraid I don't know any other way of bringing back my childhood other than building a time machine and grabbing younger me with a large net. And even then, wouldn't that cause paradoxes? I'm not sure I want to support your decision.

Oh, wait... sorry, I only read the title, that's not actually what you were asking? Then I don't know...

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. DVDLooney

DVDLooney Active Member

I agree with that only because a portion of these classic cartoons won't ever be released on DVD and probably never will no matter how many petitions people make requesting them. That's the only reason why I think there should still be at least one channel that show reruns of classic cartoons.

16. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Well-Known Member

yeah you can't just keep airing reruns of ended shows forever especially if they don't have that many episodes!

idc if it's a classic boomerang NEEDS to remove the flintstones!

17. wonderfly

Flintstones has tons of episodes to air though.

I've been reviewing Boomerang's line-up recently, and I do get a kick out of the fact that they still air Flintstones and Smurfs late at night (or early in the morning, depending on how you look at it). It's the one blip of "old school" on Boomerang nowadays. It reminds me a lot of the fact that the Syfy channel still airs "The Twilight Zone" late at night (or early in the morning). The ONE classic sci-fi show they won't give up airing.

Sure, it'd be nice if Boomerang would rotate in "The Jetsons" and "Snorks", but...I really don't want them to give up "The Flinstones" and "Smurfs".

18. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

If their programmers had a freaking clue that their audience range is bigger than they'd like, they'd ensure that everyone gets to see the shows they want, and not have to repurpose the shows CN suits want played into the ground.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. DVDLooney

DVDLooney Active Member

And the people of today wonder why others want cartoon shows like Huckleberry Hound and the Centurions to continue playing on TV. It''s because they're not on DVD. Just like some other cartoons aren't and probably won't ever be on DVD and bad as the quality of the recordings are online and that people recorded, that's all fans have to go on.

20. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

@DVDLooney Many shows still aren't on DVD, true, but Centurions isn't one of them. All episodes have been out for a year. The Warner Archive actually released a great portion of toons in the past 5 years. Check it out. But I do agree that catching your show is much better than inserting a disc and that with countless useless channels there should be a place for it.

• Winner Winner x 1