"Thundercats" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Cartoon Network/Boomerang Cartoon Forum' started by Nexonius, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Nexonius

Nexonius Formerly John Dorian

Ladies and Gentlemen.....and cats all over the world, Warner Bros. Animation and Studio 4°C are producing a ALL NEW Thundercats series for Cartoon Network in 2011!

Don't believe me? Here's the link:

Warner Bros. Animation Announces New "ThunderCats" Series for CN in 2011

Yeah....looks like Yojimbo was right all along with the rumor, And it looks like WBA's CN's main outlet these days, and that's an OK in my book.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2011
  2. Matthew Williams

Matthew Williams Owns A Homey The Clown Shirt

Ooo, one of the Avatar producers is on this? This might be awesome.

3. Mesousa

Mesousa Biggest Hinata Azuma fanboy

This MUST be CN's counter-attack on Nick getting the Power Rangers.

4. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

Well thanks for the news! I have several things to say though...It's one of my favorite series from childhood, so I hope it doesn't end up badly. The announcement got me excited, but looking at the producers and executive producers and the studios, I think I will remain down to earth until I see some footage, because, with all due respect to those guys, the shows they have worked on look really aweful and childish - I just dislike todays modern computer animation - the old hand-drawn shows were more stylish and unique and felt more mature. Plus the original Thundercats had a pretty mature ideology/atmosphere (again in comparison with cartoons of today which are very simplified). With that said, I am hoping Warner will think this time a bit more than usual and work on the show very carefully, because it's a classic and I really don't want to see it ending up just like an "average" show - I want it to be "super and terrific".

Other than that I am happy Cartoon Network is getting another show, which has great potential if done well. Plus I think it's safe to assume there will be some action-block introduced again to the Network later on. Let's wait and see. But I have to admit I do have a feeling Cartoon Network is going back to its roots and that is great! :p

5. CartoonNothing

CartoonNothing CHECK it.

I haven't seen the Thundercats on Cartoon Network in a long time! I still miss Toonami though.

6. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo We're not cousins!

I can see this new ThunderCats series airing as part of You Are Here, assuming that there will still be a YAH next year, that is.

7. Ed Liu

Ed Liu Grumpy Gorilla

WB Animation sent us the poster and announcement as well, but I didn't get confirmation that we could post it until just now. So, there it is, and I've updated this thread to be an official talkback and stuff.

8. ECDT1089

ECDT1089 That Car Genius

This is some awesome news.Thank you WB for bringing one of my favorite shows back. I can't wait for the premiere.:D

Now make a new SWAT KATS series and I'll be even happier.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2010
  9. ABrown

ABrown Active Member

Whatever happened with the movie? Did that get shelved?

10. King_of_doom

King_of_doom kiva fan

So they finally gonna do a new Thundercats cartoon, hopefully its good like the one they made of He-Man(in my opinion) also hope CN doesn't go all "we expect higher ratings on the first episodes if it drops we will not order any more episodes" just like they did with previous shows.

11. Silverstar

Silverstar Ah, No.

You know it's funny, I never really watched Thundercats much as a kid during the '80's; can't say why exactly, I just wasn't that into it for whatever reason (though I did like Cheetara :cool:), so I can't say that I'm greatly anticipating a new Thundercats series, but nonetheless this should be interesting to see.

12. Checkerboard

Well, it is overall pretty positive news, yes. I'm excited aswell.
    Regarding Swat Kats - I would be happier if they released the original on DVD first...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2010
  13. The Man in Black

The Man in Black I have 5 of broats

So, apparently this is going to be an "anime"?

14. PunkPhantom

PunkPhantom Addicted to Toons & Tunes

Oh, man now I really have to watch the original.

15. Checkerboard

Well, not entirely, think "Batman: Gotham Knight" style. But I do think it will be a success overall. Hopefully it is dark.

16. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo We're not cousins!

My guess is that it won't be any darker than the original Thundercats series was, which is fine by me. Darkness is overrated. Not trying to be argumentative. I'm just saying that every action show doesn't have to be Batman dark; a light touch can be entertaining also, if handled properly.

17. ToonFaithful

ToonFaithful The One Who Knocks™

Wow, came back from school to hear this news. Awesome.

18. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

After a fashion, and it's following tradition really. It's being produced in the U.S. while being animated by a Japanese studio, just like classic Thundercats was. Back then, it was Rankin/Bass producing with animation by Topcraft--the forerunner to Studio Ghibli, it so happens.

Or perhaps a superior counter to its upcoming Voltron cartoon, if nothing else. I'm definitely anticipating this.

19. Matthew Williams

Matthew Williams Owns A Homey The Clown Shirt

Not really. My guess is that it's Warner and Cartoon Network wanting to capitalize on the enduring popularity of a classic 1980s cartoon. They've done new comics, they've released DVDs and licensed merchandising, it's natural for them to want to do a new series. And the demand is there regardless.

20. Mesousa

Mesousa Biggest Hinata Azuma fanboy

I'll think of it more as Transformers:Animated, since Studio 4c were involved in that one, as well.