Thugaboo Talkback

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by dtemplar, Mar 8, 2006.

1. dtemplar

dtemplar Old School Professor

2. maczero

maczero New Member

Does this generation really need a "Fat Albert"? I'm willing to let the FA similarities slide, but why put "Thug" in the title of a kids show that supposed to deliver positive messages?

3. Um...

I guess they're trying to redefine the word "thug"...? :confused:

I'm stretching here...

Doesn't sound that original but Nicktoons seems to have loved it.

4. livingfruitvirus

livingfruitvirus No! NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!

When I first saw the thread, I was predicting it would be called "Kids' Cartoon."

5. judyindisguise

judyindisguise New Member

6. Ultra Mike

Ultra Mike 1000 Posts = Woot Or Something

Oh because you know going back to school and Christmas specials are really unique, and that Nickelodeon really has cartoons with heart in them anymore (besides maybe a few moments on Avatar), and kids really want to see more Fat Albert and gangsta ideas. Yeah that always good. (BTW, Where's the sarcasm smile around here?;) ).

Seriously though this seems like a bad idea in general. But it seems that every bad kids show idea these days can get fairly good ratings and high promotion on CN or nick if they know how to promote it right. I guess these specials could have SOME quality to them, but until we actually see it in action I'm putting that under the "highly doubt it" file.

7. don Jaime

don Jaime New Member

Who keeps giving the Wayans work?! They've had one good project between about eight of them, and In Living Color is fifteen years in the past and had talented people connected to it to cover for the Wayans. And frankly, even if they could coax a David Alan Grier or a Robert Schimmel to work with them again, that still wouldn't save a Wayans cartoon. I know. I saw Waynehead. Nick doesn't need a Waynehead.

8. brizee

brizee New Member

Thugaboo.

They actually managed to slip that title past a kids network. I'll give it a chance just for that.

Besides, Don't Be a Menace bought the Wayans a lifetime pass as far as I'm concerned.

9. tb4000

tb4000 New Member

I'm going to assume, from the past work they've done, that it will be tongue in cheek, and poking fun at the lifestyle, not celebrating it.

10. havokpryde

havokpryde New Member

Sounds familiar

Morality, and ethics aside, Nick figures they can make a mint of this show, and in the end, that's all the matters.

11. ixiah

ixiah Nooblet

Like how Oscar the grouch redefined the word hobo. :) Not that I think theres anything wrong with the word hobo.. or thug for that matter.

12. Leviathan

Leviathan "It's against nature!"

I'm surpisied that Nickelodeon got this instead of Cartoon Network. That probably means that Nick's sense of judgement isn't as good as the Avatar fans say it is.

13. havokpryde

havokpryde New Member

???

Hobo always had that postive connotation, or a strong independent person always on the move, though this has somewhat become corrupted in recent times. On the other hand thug has always meant somewhat who'd like nothing better than to rob you of your money.

14. Lyris

Lyris New Member

[​IMG]

Man, that's embarassing. It would help if they could draw.

15. judyindisguise

judyindisguise New Member

Good god, it's hideous. Really, does anyone WANT to see this? Not me, brother.

16. Scorpio_G

Scorpio_G I dont look like that, really

Hmm...looks like how I would draw when I was in 6-7th grade.:sweat: Not saying it's a good thing or a bad thing either. And why is that kid in the right looks like he was left back a few times. Since 2nd grade.:p

But everyone hated the look of spongebob and nicktoons/cartoon cartoons in the bastwhen it first came out. So lets give this a chance.

PS: You forgot another Wayans bros show that was good. The Wayans Brothers staring Shawn and Marlon Waynes as well as John 'Grandpa' Witherspoon. :)

17. Lyris

Lyris New Member

That's incredibly open minded of you, but other cartoons tend to have some sort of appeal to their look. Even stuff that I'd normally consider to be averagely drawn, like Invader Zim with its really sharp angular look, has some sort of appeal to me. This honestly looks like it was drawn by 10 year olds.

18. ixiah

ixiah Nooblet

Well, I think it looks good. At first glance it kinda reminded me of bebe's kids. But only at first glance. Maybe it looks different when animated.

And that kid at the very right? Maybe he's someone's big brother and not really a classmate..

19. Kury Wagner

Kury Wagner Jizzyboobgirlkury

Here's another Yahoo!News article about it.

[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]
    [/SIZE][/FONT]
    That show was fabulous! My family has always loved Wayans'-related shows and movies, so I'm curious of this. The design does look... shabby, but it feels familiar. I'm not ready to brush it off just because the promo photo looks like crap.

I really doubt it.

20. Zubby

Zubby I'm probably delicious!

Avatar is really the ONLY thing that Nick seems to have done right in the past several years. Never before have I seen a network so gleefully shoot itself in the foot time and time again.

I've never found the work of the Wayans that funny or interesting in any way. This show looks to be more of the same.