World's Finest Workshops Throw It At The Wall; See What Sticks.

Discussion in 'The Story Board' started by The Guitar Slayer, Dec 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Guitar Slayer

The Guitar Slayer 1965 to Eternity

Alright, I know you guys are going to go through a horrid spam withdrawal. So this thread is for ideas to be shared in a less formal manner than in the regular workshops. I've seen some of you get ideas from the less random spam.

Here's how this will work. In case you suddenly get a flash of brilliance you don't have enough time to flesh out fully, you can post it here. The more well formed ideas will still go to the regular worshops. In here, you can tease each other a bit and play act as long as it still revolves around the ideas that have been (points up at title) Thrown At The Wall!

Good example:

You see? In my horribly stilted and stiff fashion, I've shown how you can be random and funny and change topics really fast but still have some good feedback and some idea exchanges. Now don't expect to be focused and serious at ALL here; make a workshop thread for that and then get to work on your main fic. :)

So some bad examples would be....

No exchange of ideas, no constructive criticism, and a whole lot of random flaming. Bad. A no-no.

Just two rules -- no multiposting in a row. If you get 4 ideas right after another, just go back and edit your post. If you don't it might seem like flooding/spamming, something we tend to get annoyed about ;). Secondly, no one word responses or just a bunch of smilies; that doesn't tell anyone anything.

Now this isn't a rule, but a recommendation -- you may be able to get feedback faster if you answer someone else's idea while posting your own. That way, they may feel generous and respond to yours. Oh yes, and if you do get something really valuable out of a response, make sure to give thanks...as I will below!

Special thanks to Crowgirl for the proposal and idea for this thread!

2. klammed

klammed the fool.

This isn't really a plot idea or anything.

I was just browsing through some old threads, and I realised there used to be quite a lot of short story competitions and the like in the past. Wondering what happened to the idea? Died out? Lack of interest? The old threads seem so, cosy. Maybe it was because the board was newer, or the people were tighter...

Just thought it'd be really cool to have such stuff again.
    Yeah, I'm all for sentimentalism, I am.:ack:

3. Faethie

Faethie Rockstarrlette

so wait, the ok kinda spam is like if its attached to something that has to do with the fic?? KK.

4. TeenTitansGO!

TeenTitansGO! expremental Upnnas

klammed, yeah, those contests quit happenin' around the time i arrived (bad omen?), but I always thought they were pretty cool. Wouldn't mind starting them up again. Mods?

TTG~Matt H.

5. The Guitar Slayer

For now, we'd just like to get this place in shipshape before organizing a contest. That may take some time, but I'm sure we'll introduce something like that again in the future. Can't really say when though.

Precisely! Just make sure the feedback is more than half the post rather than the spam being the main part of the post.

6. Crowgirl

Crowgirl Active Member

To piggy back on what klammed said, I remember those! I was actually thinking about those recently, and if we had another one, I'd be really, really happy! :anime: But anyways, I remember how those worked, and I'd be willing to help out with starting one (if we were going to...). ;)

It's all your fault!!! :mad: [Throws apple pie at Matt]

Sorry, couldn't resist. :p

Oh, another question while I'm here: There's only one page of fics up, and I was just wondering, where did all of the other ones go? DId they evaporate? Or are they all on that list at the top of the forum? :confused:

Ciao,
    CG

7. The Guitar Slayer

A lot of the fics had uber spam that kept them on the first few pages. Once we deleted the spam, they slipped back because the story had been complete/not updated since before November. The default setting for the TT forum is to show fics that have been updated within the last month. This is because of the high volume (for the last month, there are 2 pages for the Titans fics versus 7 pages for the WHOLE YEAR on WFWC). If you go down to the bottom and make the default viewing from "the beginning" or "within the last year," all the fics should show up.

If you can't find a TT fic on the forum, it may mean that it's still in the bowels of the WFWC board. We're still sorting through that, so bear with us. :)

8. TeenTitansGO!

to sort of build off the contests idea, we need a new Hall of Fame. Hall of Fame IV never happened and we need it now, desperately before fics get lost in the past. I think i mainly want one to see my name up there, hehe.

I'd be willing to help out. In fact, I have all the categories planned in my head.

TTG~Matt H.

9. klammed

klammed the fool.

Hall of Fame?

*blinks, then runs back and edits that* Can you believe I just typed 'Hell' instead of 'Hall'?

*blinks* Nevermind that.

What was the Hall of Fame about? I'm not sure if we have to worry about:

Since they've got that sticky up with the 'Old Stories' Thread, kinda. And they'll be updating it, I guess.

10. Bleu Unicorn

Bleu Unicorn \ (^v^) /

Ok, people, enough. This thread is wildly off its original topic. GS has already stated that we're planning to bring back the contests and such, but not right this moment. We only just got finished cleaning out these boards, so give it a bit of time. We've got some other things planned as well. For now, let us mods take a tiny bit of a breather. Believe it or not, we do have lives outside WFWC and TZ - as for myself, right now is an incredibly busy time for me at work, so I've personally requested we not jump right into a big project like the contests or Hall of Fames for a few weeks at least. Anyway, further comments, suggestions and/or questions about this should be left to PMs.

klammed mentioned the Older Stories thread, if you have a completed story that you want us to add to the list, just PM one of the mods with a link to the fic and we'll add it to the collection. Make sure that it is completed - if it's a long arc (a fic that spans more than one thread), please make sure at least one part of the arc is fully completed. Also, if you see some fics we missed, whether the author is on the list or not, please let us know.

11. The_NewCatwoman

The_NewCatwoman Oh you've got to be kidding me

I'm with Bleu on the Older Stories thing. I originally started it because Steel (one of the old mods) never finished his and I'll be darned if I've never finished mine.

tNC

12. dimmy52

dimmy52 Orsati Assassin

Ok well in order to kick this topic in the right direction, I've got an idea for a story: It's going to be a sequel to my 'Assault on Titans' Tower' fic, except it will be much longer, and the "Teen" Titans will share the limelight with four other individuals. These people will NOT have superpowers, instead relying on natural skill in their areas of expertise, much like Robin.

I haven't been able to 'solidify' this idea, so to speak, but I have got the four new characters written down and ready. But in regards to plot, I have no idea...:sad:

13. TeenTitansGO!

before i say more, i'll say that this sounds dangerously like a minor part of Blade: Trinity. However, I think it could work IF, and only IF, you had deep deep deep character backgrounds, personalities, and scenarios for at least three of the four (one for comic relief of course). If you've ever seen "Firefly" or Serenity, there is a character named Jayne, and though he doesn't have a deep back story, he's still a kick butt fighter with funny lines. All the other characters have deep backstories. That's what I'm thinking, just because you really can't introduce characters w/o reason. I guess you could...but...forget it.

TTG~Matt H. Have a fine day men (and women).

14. dimmy52

dimmy52 Orsati Assassin

Cheers for the suggestion! All four characters actually have a pretty intense backstory, mainly because I wasn't the one who wrote all of them, only one, and three of my friends wrote one each.

Before you say anything I've already gotten their permission to use the characters, so it's all good. I have one problem however, and that is how to introduce the backstory of each character. Right now all I have is a long narrative of each one and I don't think that's going to work well. Any ideas?

Cheers, Dimster, Delta Member One

15. TeenTitansGO!

In this type of story, the baskstories usually come in a moment after the characters have held back for a long while, and it comes up to a point where the info is absolutely needed. Then everybody's like what the crap?! Yeah. Have fun with that.

TTG~Matt H.

16. Agent S7

Agent S7 Destined to Rock

As I PMed, I'm fully behind this story! It looks to be fun, especially with all the differently designed characters! GO CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT! :D

~s7

And, on a completely different note, whatever happened to starfire0639? I hear that she had her account hacked, but where is she now? She was always such a good member and writer... :sad:

17. The Guitar Slayer

I temp banned her when her account got ripped into so the bad guy wouldn't do any more damage. Once the ban was up, I told her she was reactivated and free to post again. Then nothing. I'm sort of disapointed -- she had potential.

Anyway, got a question for you guys. I have this old story kicking around from eighth grade. Of course, I've tidied it up some, but still, it's from eigth grade. Problem #2 -- somewhat Mary Sue. So the question is how do you un-Mary Sue a character?

18. klammed

klammed the fool.

Well, uhm, give him/her flaws I guess. Complications. Faults. Not being able to do everything, not being well liked, not being able to breeze through difficult scenarios, all that stuff...

hmm. yeah.

Background helps. Give the character a solid history, a reason for being in the plot, all that stuff.

19. Destiny_Smasher

Destiny_Smasher Epic Fail

Yea, that's always good. That's one thing with many superheroes--we never find out a background, a motive, or anything.

But, sometimes, that can kind of work. I mean, look at Teen Titans--I don't know why most of those characters are there, but you can seem to sense what their motives are, their purposes, by watching them develop as the show goes on. Ya know, BEFORE Season 5, when it all fell apart horrendously. :sad:

I felt I could connect with those characters before I knew about their backgrounds--then later, when pieces connected a little, it bolstered that connection. Maybe you could approach it like that--help us connect with them right from the bat, but keep things a mystery until right when the timing is perfect.

I always hated Superman because he was perfect. Now I hate him because he has so much angst and stuff that it's just ridiculous.
    Batman Begins was an amazing movie due in part to the fact that it gave us wats to connect with Batman and why he was doing what he was doing. I love that. And now I'm just rambling.

...:shrug: And, er...What's Mary Sue? *feels like a retard*

20. SilverKnight

SilverKnight Sigh.

A Mary Sue is the author's perfect doppleganger for the world they're creating. They're incredibly smart, beautiful, strong, can win the hearts and minds of everyone, and should they ever actually get hurt or die, it will be such a tremendous, selfless sacrifice that the whole world will mourn.

So yeah, a lot like Superman was/is.

Example: Wesley Crusher from Star Trek: The Next Generation was Gene Roddenberry's Marty Stu; the prodigal genius son of the doctor who could outthink the ship's highly trained engineers and a friggin' walking super-computer. Might be why so many hate him.

In any case, the best way to un-Mary Sue a character is to make them, well, plausible. Give them a reason or a motivation, a backstory that makes sense and makes you understand who they are and what they do. Barring that, at least don't stack the deck so completely in their favor that it's boring to read. Faults, or at least shortcomings, go a long way towards fleshing out a very flat character. Even so much as the occasional flair of a bad temper can add a much needed layer to someone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.