1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on the Mighty Hercules

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by Napoleon Solo, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo Gatchaman G-6

[​IMG]

Mighty Hercules isn't the best of anything when it comes to cartoons, honestly. Not the best stories or animation or characters. However, I think it has a certain charm all it own. Catchy theme song, as well. Absolutely zero idea who owns these but a complete dvd set would be very welcome. Hell, if Rocket Robin Hood can come out on dvd, anything is possible.

Anyone else have some thoughts on this fine early 60's cartoon from good ol' Trans-Lux?

2. stephane dumas

stephane dumas Well-Known Member

A nice toon to watch. I like the theme song credits performed by Johnny Nash. I wonder is it the same Johnny Nash who performed the hit song "I can see clearly now"? There was some rumors who mentionned yes, others who mentionned no.

3. Trevor

Trevor Active Member

If this is the same Hercules cartoon that I remember seeing back in the 80's at 6:30 a.m. on weekday mornings (I forget whether it was before or after the 67 Spider-Man), then this was a good show. Its too bad that no one has released it on DVD yet. Of course, the DVD company would probably have to track down the original film negatives to get a good quality transfer.

4. Bakertoons

Bakertoons One Sly Princess
    Staff Member Moderator

Classic Media owns the rights.

It was produced by Joe Oriolo, using much of the same crew that worked on his "Felix the Cat" series from roughly the same time. Much of the animators were from Famous Studio at one point or another.

5. Trevor

Trevor Active Member

Considering that the last time that I recall seeing any clips (much less full epsiodes) from the show was in the 80's, I would think that before a DVD-release or Blu-ray release, Classic Media would get the series remastered and transferred from the original film negatives (if they still exist) in high-definition, since I recall that the show looked to be just as dark and dirty as the 1967 Spider-Man was before Disney remastered and cleaned it in 2004.

6. JTMarsh

JTMarsh Wing Commander

It's a fun little show if you like the retro charm it represents.

Fun fact: the character design of Hercules on this series inspired the look of the DCAU Superman from the 90s solo series (less so in Justice League but very much so in the mid-90s Superman series where they basically took this version of Hercules and slapped the Superman costume on him).