1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on Sylvester and Tweety Mysteries?

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by John Pannozzi, Jan 16, 2007.

1. John Pannozzi

John Pannozzi Still Gritty after all these years

I'd hate to seem like I'm starting another useless thread like the Histeria and Taz-Mania ones, but does any one have any feelings on this show. No one seems to talk about it anymore, wheras Taz-Mania is almost as nostalgic as Tiny Toon Adventures and Animaniacs and the Duck Dodgers is recent enough to spark some discussion (note that I didn't mention Baby Looney Tunes or Loonatics Unleashed, for obvious reasons). I thought Sylvester & Tweety Mysteries was worth watching for all the cameos by other Looney Tune and Merrie Melody characters (Cool Cat appeared in some form in pretty much every episode). The show was show runned by cartoon history buff extraordinare Tom Minton (good friend of John Kricfalusi, and writer of many funny episodes of Mighty Mouse, Tiny Toons, Raw Toonage, Darkwing Duck, Animaniacs, Freakazoid and Duck Dodgers, as well as the show runner for Baby Looney Tunes, but no one's perfect.)

2. J. B. Warner

J. B. Warner Increasing my wordiness

I never saw much of "The Sylvester and Tweety Mysteries". I do have memories of watching it on Kids' WB! in the late '90s while waiting for "Pokémon" to come on (but then again, in the late '90s, I watched everything while waiting for "Pokémon" to come on), and I just didn't get the same vibe of humor that I got from the classic cartoons. I think the show tried to do too much - you had the mysteries on one hand, and Sylvester's efforts to nab Tweety on the other, so the show never had a balanced idea of what direction it wanted to go in. Plus, characters like Granny, Sylvester, and Tweety don't really fit into the whole concept of mystery-solving anyway. Throw in all the overwhelming and often meaningless cameo appearances of minor Looney Tunes stars, and you had a show that just kind of sat there, unmoving. I think it was the first effort to revive the Looney Tunes that didn't really impress me (and Lord knows it wouldn't be the last).

3. Tinytooncrazy

Tinytooncrazy Member

I actally liked that goes for tiny toons ,a naimacnies and tazmaina as well heck I even give Loontics the benift of the doubt and njoyed it for what it is and not see as a spin off

4. Jpox

Jpox Member

I enjoyed the first season of S&TM! The 20 minute episodes were beautifully animated. But when the series moved into 11 minute territory, the stories became more and more silly.
    The cameos were great! The Cool Cat cameos became very annoying. Not too sure if it was suppose to be a running gag, but the gag died after the third or forth time. The ending to Tweety's High Flying Adventure was ruined by that "gag".
    I would pick up this show on DVD if given the choice. (probably only the 1st season though...)

5. Anthonynotes

Anthonynotes Active Member

I watched S&T Mysteries, but never cared much for it; felt like it was either just "Sylvester chases Tweety" and "Hector beats up Sylvester just for breathing at him the wrong way, 847 times per episode"... :p

6. Annie-Mae

Annie-Mae Crazy Person

Hated it after the budget for it went through the crapper. Plus it became like Scooby-Doo where it was by dumn luck they solved the mystery, the rest of the time it was just Selvester getting beat up and Tweety making fun of him.

The 1st seasons were pretty well animated and the backgrounds were nicely painted but then something changed in the shows style that made it's bad writing stand out because the art wasn't there to back it up. This show fallows the 8 plot writing format. Every episode has the 8 plots but they re-write and tweek it a bit to make it seem different. Something is stollen, Granny stays clueless about it and about her pets running away, Tweety solves the mystery but Granny gets the credit, and Selvester has to have surgery after the episode is done. (I've always felt sorry for Daffy and Selvester because they're always under the Anvil because of rude and mean rodents like Tweety and Speedy)

We don't talk about this show because it was never as good as anything else made at that time, and it got worse as seasons went along.

7. Itchy

Itchy Scratchy's enemy

I have a bit mixed feelings for it. Some episodes were good while others were boring. What I enjoyed most were the cameos by other Looney Tunes characters. Overall, it was okay.

8. Douglas E.

Douglas E. Lucario For The Win!

It was ok. On one hand I'll take it over Baby Looney Tunes or Loonatics and maybe Duck Dodgers, and I liked the cameos, but on the other hand, many of the episodes were quite boring.

-Doug

9. cheril59

cheril59 Member

I thought I'd bump this thread up. The show is now and still airing on Cartoon Network and Boomerang after over 10 years. There's one thing I'm concerned about. I'd rather not watch one episode in particular, "El dia de los Pussygatos", because during the whole episode everything Tweety says and does is followed by, in my opinion, detestable canned laughter. Do other episodes have the laugh track, or is that the only one to do so?

10. Erased Paper

Erased Paper Member

No, not that I know of.

11. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

It's the best cartoon based on the Looney Tunes IMO :)

12. ZeroKelvin

ZeroKelvin One poppin' pariffero

It's decent. I think I like the first season the most though, it has some pretty neat stories as well as references to classic TV series and movies (Casablanca and the Wild Wild West to name a few) as well as the inclusion of other LT characters like Elmer Fudd and Yosemite Sam. My favorite episodes from this season were "The Cat Who Knew Too Much" and the "Maltese Canary" episode.

BUT now being able to watch the later seasons (due to Season 1 being the only one available on DVD) I have to say the show gets pretty weird, both in terms of stories and looks. The character designs and backgrounds start looking cheaper, the stories are shorter and some don't even feel like mysteries, it's just "Sylvester chases Tweety around for 11 minutes and at the end the mystery is solved". Though I did like how they used classic shorts as reference (Monster Tweety from "Tweet and Hyde" shows up in "London Broiled") but the numerous cameos were kinda weird (what was up with Cool Cat showing up a lot? I remember the first time I saw Tweety's High Flying Adventure I didn't even know who he was until later, so I'm guessing how that movie is connected to the series). Overall the show was still decent, but I think I prefer the first season.

13. PiotrGT

PiotrGT Member

I have seen few episodes and it's good. I'm not a big fan of it but it's very solid cartoon. :) It isn't too forgotten here in Poland as it's aired on one channel and on Boomerang sometimes (currently as I look up the scedule, I can't find it).

14. cheril59

cheril59 Member

I rewatched that "Pussygatos" episode, and I guess I don't like that episode at all. Tweety's lines are indeed followed by a laugh track.

[LINK REMOVED]

That really ruins the funny. For those who watched the entire series, let me know if the "Pussygatos" episode was the only episode to use a laugh track.

#14 cheril59, Apr 6, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2016
  15. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

It was the only episode with a laugh track, and I'm still not sure why. Some kind of inside joke, I'd bet.

16. cheril59

cheril59 Member

What a relief! I was just concerned. Glad I watched all other episodes okay, but not every episode.

17. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

Sylvester & Tweety Mysteries tried to be two things at once. Since Granny was the detective on this show, it was meant to be a parody of Murder, She Wrote while allowing the usual feud between Tweety & Sylvester to play out within the confines of a non-conventional Looney Tunes plotline. I think people looked at the show from this particular perspective, and turned away after a while.

18. SolotheYoloRolo

SolotheYoloRolo New Member

From what I saw of it it was pretty decent. It definitely got repetitive a lot, so it's certainly not one of the stronger Looney Tunes spin-offs, but I really liked the animation and voice acting in it.