1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

This Month in Music (September)

Discussion in 'The Musiquarium' started by RD!, Sep 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING
    Staff Member Moderator

I just finished listening to Felt Volume 2: A Tribute To Lisa Bonet featuring the two underground rappers, Slug and Murs. It's pretty good, much better than the first Felt volume. Ant's beats compliment the two rappers than Grouch's. The lyrics are not groundbreaking, but considering that the whole point of the Felt series is to have sex with the featured actress, it's not bad. I know that this was a side project for the two, but if they had released some singles from the album to radio and T.V., it probably might have gone Platinum. The song, "Dirty Girl" could have easily made the Top 100 Billboard for Singles. Favorite songs are "Dirty Girl", "Morris Day", "Martini Gaye", "Early Mornin' Tony", and "The Biggest Lie."

2. Youko Recca

Youko Recca Retired

Yesterday I went to see if Blackalicious's The Craft was in. Wasn't, so I'll try again today. In which case these words won't be here.

3. Azrael24

Azrael24 why?

Hear, Hear, the coolest song eva:

"My Humps"

by the Black Eyed Peas

not sure i can post the lyrics on here cause it is a very dirty song!! but it is the coolest song out there!!

4. Chrono1995

Chrono1995 Don't get any big ideas.

The Craft doesn't come out until next Tuesday, but my store got the (clean) promo in, and we've been playing it nonstop. I know it's a bit short notice, but you should probably check out Blazing Arrow in the meantime.

5. megachao24

megachao24 So, what's going on here?

One week ago...
    I bought Staind - Chapter V.

6. Youko Recca

Youko Recca Retired

Eh. BEP kind of fell off, to my ears. They were good back then, but now, with a certain addition, they seem...ignorable. Not sure what the root of my opinion spews from, exactly, but, I don't know.

7. SirLemming

SirLemming a playa in a world of NPCs

Well, I finally have Nothing Is Sound (by Switchfoot), after a few weeks of hearing new songs as I played them on the radio. And it's definitely very satisfying. I'm pretty confident that it's their best album, and I can see how it would sort of bring the old-school and new-school Switchfoot fans together. It has that nice blend between the straightforward alt-rock of The Beautiful Letdown and the quirky acoustic-y stuff of the other albums. Or something like that.

The only songs that I think probably won't ever really do much for me are "Golden" and "We Are One Tonight" (they threw that one on at the last minute, and... well, it shows). But that puts it no worse than their other albums, and the rest of it is pretty stellar stuff.

"The Setting Sun" absolutely has to be one of the singles from this album and I'll be pretty ticked if it doesn't turn out that way. It's pretty much perfect. You hear it once and it hooks you completely and makes you think about it later, they're nuts if they don't put this out to radio. It's got such great progression along with its simple and strong melodies. And the chords in the bridge are so awesome!

"Politicians" is a great melancholy rocker, and thankfully unpredictable from its title. This particular song definitely picks up right where The Beautiful Letdownleft off, but it's even better.

"Easier Than Love" is one of those songs that I could imagine being a lot more typical and by-the-numbers than it is. The verses are very fun.

"Happy Is a Yuppie Word" is totally great, everything I expected it to be from its very impressive showing at the concert I was at. Really cool dynamics and driving rhythms.

And "Daisy", well, that one's just a killer. I keep testing myself to see if I can sing the "let it go" part to myself without getting choked up. I keep failing.
    (Man, we are getting some awesome album closers this year. There's this, Blindside's "When I Remember" (possibly the best album closer of all time), NIN's "Right Where It Belongs", QOTSA's "Long Slow Goodbye"...)

Of course, knowing which version to buy was a nightmare. It's crazy how these record companies are making it hard for their loyal customers to enjoy the music they're selling, while people who download the stuff illegally don't have to put up with it. Neither the DualDisc version nor the so-called "CD" version actually conforms to accepted CD standards -- the DualDisc because of the format and the "CD" because it's copy-protected. This is nothing new, but it's very frustrating when it happens to a band whose new album you've really been anticipating. You gotta walk on eggshells with this one instead of just going out and buying it and not having to worry about anything but whether or not the music's good.
    You know this is getting bad when one of the band members (Tim Foreman) posts on a Switchfoot message board telling people how messed up it is and giving instructions on how to get around the problem. That's NOT GOOD, record label guys! I mean, we all know what they're trying to do, but this is a crappy solution and they need a better one. Copy-protect the promo versions of the CD and beef up security, or something like that. Because if people are really intent on stealing the music, that's where it'll come from. Restricting the store-bought versions probably does help, but it's BS to prevent the actual customers from being able to make MP3s of what they BOUGHT so they can make CD mixes or just listen to it on their computers or iPods or whatever. In the end, people are just gonna get frustrated and disgusted and steal the music out of spite, or steal it in addition to buying it...

So I bought the Target DualDisc version, because the DualDisc actually does let you rip MP3s and Target had the best deal on the bonus track. "Good Night Punk" is actually the 13th track, not some WMA Liquid Audio limited license download BS.

I'll have to do a proper review later. When I'm not writing a paper.

8. Noukon

Noukon Deep Blue

Disturbed's Ten Thousand Fists was released this past week, and it's surprisingly complex.

9. HumanoidTyphoon

HumanoidTyphoon Active Member

that hump song is pretty terrible =(

Recently aquired these and they're all pretty good.

Kind Robot - Fragapella EP (I really enjoy this. It has very nice instumentals and the rap song sorta comes out of nowhere but it's good.)
    The Fiery Furnaces - Gallowbird's Bark (The second song is so fantastic I haven't made it passed I keep putting it on repeat.)
    Okkervil River - Black Sheep Boy (I like the title track and the so-called friend song. The rest sounds good but I keep getting too many distractions while listening)
    Thunderbirds are now! - Justamoustache (Again the first song really grabbed me, but I haven't listened to it enough to say any more.)
    Nine Black Alps - Everything is (Got buried under everything else but it seemed ok.)

10. Cassie Star

Cassie Star I have no gender.

Hey, I'm glad someone liked the album.

I did a review of it a while back: http://www.epinions.com/content_195711307396
    That is, if anyone wants to see my thoughts.

11. Youko Recca

Youko Recca Retired

Just reminded me about this. Thanks to the suggestion over at the sausage fest, I was able to peep this out. I agree with your stance on it, it's good.

12. Chrono1995

Wolf Parade's Apologies to the Queen Mary is next up on the list. A friend played it for me at his apartment, and it sounded better songwise than The Arcade Fire's Funeral.

13. RD!

RD! Never go see Dr. Acula

To be fair there's one female there. =[

Been listening to:
    Super Furry Animals - Love Kraft
    Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Howl
    Flotation Toy Warning - Bluffers Guide to the Flight Deck
    The Cloud Room - The Cloud Room

Flotation Toy Warning is a sonic pillow, like Thom Yorke in an elephant six band really awesome. The rest are cool, Howl is an odd album, reminds me of O' Brother Where Art Thou?

Try t rank them later. =[

edit: incredibly excited for Wolf Parade! It could either be the biggest pile of crap or I'd be willing to guess a top 10 album. =[

14. Chrono1995

What do you think of Love Kraft?

15. RD!

Love Kraft is good. I haven't given it many complete listens, instead I keep listening to Ohio Heat, Lazer Beams and a few other tracks depending on what I'm doing. It all sounds nice but I haven't really connected with it yet.

Also (arr) the new Strokes single isn't bad.

16. Mynd Hed

Mynd Hed Holy blue on a popo!

My girlfriend bought the new Z-Trip CD at Target for eight bucks. It's mostly a pretty typical DJ-centric hip-hop album; good beat, you can dance to it, and if you're into any of the (many) guest artists you're likely to like their particular song a lot, but ultimately not anything too terribly mind-blowing.
    The exception, though, the one song that would justify the eight bucks all by itself even if the rest of the album were crap, is Track 10, a wonderful little ditty by the name of "Breakfast Club." It begins with a short monologue espousing the virtues of enjoying the lighter side of hip-hop, then floats off into the nostalgic land of waking up early on Saturday morning to eat teeth-rotting cereal and watch mind-numbing cartoons. Ah, memories. The constant namedropping-- from Fruity Pebbles to Count Chocula to Go-bots to Jem and the Holograms-- will make anybody who's ever visited an animation fan forum squeal with delight at least four or five times from hearing their favorite cereal and/or cartoon show mentioned.

17. atf487

atf487 come on feel the illinoise

I love the new strokes single.

WHY DONT YOU COME OVER HEEEEEERRE

18. RD!

[SIZE=+2]Wolf Parade[/SIZE].

oh god

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.