1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

This Month in Music (September)

Discussion in 'The Musiquarium' started by RD!, Sep 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, it seems that BET won't play the Little Brother video, Lovin' It" due to the fact it's "too intelligent." Even though BET hasn't said anything official about, I wouldn't put it past them.

How well did Late Registration fare in it's first week? Pretty well. Actually, pretty damn well. It sold 862,592 copies. The nearest competition, Tony Yayo's album, sold 214,687 copies. Yeah. Also, Common is still going strong with BE, selling 599,809 copies. We should be seeing the video for his third single, "Testify" next week.

Did I mention that College Dropout actually made it back on the Billboard list? It's already double platinum, but it's still going.

2. HumanoidTyphoon

HumanoidTyphoon Active Member

And when we meet on a cloud...

Avery Island seems to have a much more straight forward story except for You’ve passed and Someone is waiting which if I recall were about his grandmother’s death. My first listen to them I went through both albums Aeroplane->Avery and Pree-Sisters Swallowing a Donkey's Eye was the only thing I remembered and was absolutely floored by it. 14 minutes of strange sounds that I think work so well. Also wanna say I really like Jeff's explanation for Gardenhead on the XFM interview thing on elephant6.com. "but actually that's just one line of the song." He seems reluctant to give out the stories/meanings, which I sorta like.

As far as I know there are 2 Oh Sister recordings one is also freely available at elephant6.com and another which is horrid in quality but if you turn it way up it sounds awesome despite him forgetting lyrics a little bit.

OK so I’ve always taken it in Ghost that Anne was reincarnated/has come back and possessed someone who I guess your saying is Goldaline someone Jeff knew who jumped from the building. Yeah I can see it.

Looking more into Ghost I’m going to throw this out and I don’t have much time right now but I’m not sure what I’d say anyway othere than there seems to be an obvious connection with ghosts, clouds, and the sun but I don't think you can really look into it too far.

"Ghost, Ghost I know you live within me
    feel you as you fly in thunder clouds above the city
    Into one that I love with all that was left within me
    Till we tore in two"
    ---
    "There are lights in the clouds
    Anna’s Ghost all around
    Hear her voice as its rolling and ringing through me"

"What a beautiful face I have found in this place
    That is circling all round the sun"
    ---
    "And when her spirit left her body
    How it split the sun"

and then this. I don’t know “winter clothes” has always stuck out to me and I guess it could mean this all happened during the winter months, but focusing on the following lines and going with my two headed boy theory it think this relates to that. References to himself in the past maybe?

"All secrets sleep in winter clothes
    With one you loved so long ago
    Now he don't even know his name"

Listening to older versions of Aeroplane I just realized the verse this is from is completely differrent. My first thought is it was changed to tie it in better with two headed boy and such but I dunno...

#42 HumanoidTyphoon, Sep 7, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2005
  3. MajorTom

MajorTom DI-AH-PERS!!!

Picked up the Clash's self-titled, Rage Against the Machine's Evil Empire, and R.E.M.'s New Adventures in Hi-Fi. All three are excellent.

4. Mr. Pedro

Mr. Pedro Der Patton

Yesterday saw the following pickups:

Sonic Youth: Daydream Nation
    A Tribe Called Quest: The Low End Theory
    Oasis: Definately Maybe

First few spins of the above have left a good impression on me.

5. Chrono1995

Chrono1995 Don't get any big ideas.

You have done quite well, my friend.

I don't really have much to catch up on what I need to get, since there's a grand total of four new releases next Tuesday. This still didn't stop me from getting My Aim is True by Elvis Costello and A Love Supreme by John Coltrane used.

6. Stuckey

Stuckey Shutter Buggin'

I'm glad that Common is selling, because Resurrection, One Day and LWFC is the best three album run by a rap group/MC in a long time if not ever. That being said, BE is really bland.

7. Youko Recca

Youko Recca Retired

Wombat, you're killing me [softly].

8. Stuckey

Stuckey Shutter Buggin'

Please don't tell me you're in the "BE is a classic/near classic" camp. By the way, I heard The Minstrel Show last night. In the immortal words of MC Paul Barman it's "frickin awesome".

9. Youko Recca

Youko Recca Retired

I'm in the camp that thinks it's pretty worthy of being on par with his past works. Maybe not beating them, but in the same league. I'lll admit I used to call it classic, but that's not to say I won't be able to look back on it in five years and love it. It's like you don't want it to be held in a good light. And that wasn't what I was refering to, anyhow. Speaking of The Minstrel Show, that's most likely going to be what I purchase next. Reviews have me anticipating it.

And thank God Kanye left Tony Yayo in the dust. He still sold too much though.

10. Cassie Star

Cassie Star I have no gender.

So vh1.com is streaming Nothing Is Sound before it's available in stores.

So I listen to it.

And I review it.

If anyone wants to know what I think about it, click here.

11. Stuckey

Stuckey Shutter Buggin'

What makes you think I don't want it to be regarded well? I said, I'm glad Common is getting the scans even if it is for an album that I don't care for. And if that's not what you were refering to then what were you? I'm confused. :sad:

12. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING
    Staff Member Moderator

So what about it you didn't like? I mean for me, I really liked it. Tracks like "BE," "The Corner," "Faithful," "The Food," and "They Say."

Also, I heard the song "Supreme, Supreme" by Blackstar and if it's any indication, I hope this means another Blackstar album will come out next year.

13. Chrono1995

Chrono1995 Don't get any big ideas.

Be isn't a musical revelation or the end-all album for hip-hop, but it is extremely enjoyable and well-made. I think that's what counts.

One of the things I've noticed is that we're too eager to find an album that changes everything or is immediately lovable. It took me a couple of spins to appreciate and love Be and Beauty and the Beat.

14. Noukon

Noukon Deep Blue

I recently discovered that the first album by Stream of Passion (from the creator of Ayreon) comes out in the 27th. I'm all over that.

15. SirLemming

SirLemming a playa in a world of NPCs

Nine Inch Nails has a new song, out of nowhere. Trent Reznor performed "Non-Entity" at the Hurricane Katrina benefit concert for MTV last night. But as with most of the artists on the program, he performed one song ("Hurt") to be shown on-air and one to be streamed online.

"Non-Entity" can be streamed at http://www.mtv.com/bands/az/nine_inch_nails/audvid.jhtml . It's hard to say for sure whether or not it'll be there; try Refresh if you don't see it. It seems to be up pretty steadily now, though. Of course, I haven't actually gotten the player to work yet. You may search for... alternate sources, if you wish.

It's a very good song. Piano-driven, of course, since all he had was that and a beatbox. It sounds somewhere between The Fragileand With Teeth; minimalistic and ivory-ticklin', but with more full chords than WT songs had.
    The lyrics suggest it might have been written in the past week or so, although it could be a leftover that happened to "make sense" due to recent events, or it could even be some sort of 9/11 song.

16. RD!

RD! Never go see Dr. Acula

Of Montreal live == hot sex. I showed one of the guitarists my tattoo and he said "****in-A man" and I left and drove home.

17. atf487

atf487 come on feel the illinoise

Morrissey's solo stuff is much better than johnny marr's.

18. Stuckey

Stuckey Shutter Buggin'

Marzak - It's just a really boring album to me. "The Corner", "Chi Town" and "The Food" are the only really good songs, and the rest of the album is mediocre. The album doesn't have any truely bad songs, but it also lacks great songs.

Chrono - I think being enjoyable is all that matters. And BE isn't enjoyable. The majority of the songs sound like stuff that didn't make the cut on One Day.

I also think that if Common had never made Electric Circus this album wouldn't be held in such high regard by so many people. That's all speculation, though.

19. Nik Jam

Nik Jam Playing the Angel

http://www.los40.com/playstop/video_especial.html?sng_id=1038967

Precious...

Also, The Decemberists are very very cool in person. Fact.

Shanty For The Arethusa, Sixteen Military Wives, Billy Liar, The Sporting Life, Shiny, Angel Won't You Call Me?, The Gymnast High Above The Ground, The Engine Driver, Eli the Barrow Boy, Red Right Ankle, Grace Cathedral Hill, Odalisque, Song for Myla Goldberg, The Bachelor and the Bride, We Both Go Down Together, The Legionnaire's Lament, A Cautionary Song
    Encore: The Chimbley Sweep

^ Yes, The Chimbley Sweep, except this was a super dragged out ten minute version, complete with audience interaction and total chaos with band members switching instruments and letting two people in the audience (They werent that far from me) play a guitar, it was wooooonderful. Except my throat is still a mess from all the singing. The only ones I didnt really sing along to were half of the Her Majesty songs and the two from "5 Songs" as Ive never heard them before in my life until yesterday.

I'm trying to go today because I bet they'll play the Mariner's Revenge Song and I really want to hear that... maybe if/when I meet the band playing KICKBALL I can get in backstage.. heh heh (hint: that probably wont happen, ill probably just get an autograph =[)

#59 Nik Jam, Sep 12, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2005
  20. Stuckey

Stuckey Shutter Buggin'

I bought Paul Wall's The People's Champ. It's alot better than I expected.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.