1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

This Month in Music (September)

Discussion in 'The Musiquarium' started by RD!, Sep 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RD!

RD! Never go see Dr. Acula

"I could not get through September without a battle."

Welcome to the September month of music.

Uh... Wolf Parade comes out this month... all I can think of.

2. RD!

Fairly sure all "King of Carrot Flowers" is just some sort of expression for youthful happiness. I doubt the album is supposed to make sense on any literal level, at least in songs like Oh Comely or Two Headed Boy, but Mangum's voice conveys any message well enough.

Really I ********ted that as an excuse to mention I love Mangum's singing ability, which is often described as a lack of one, but I couldn't disagree more. Oh Comely is a passionate monster, more emotional than any punk band has managed to pull off because it feels genuine from the way he sings. I don't just mean the sad voice he throws on either, Shnay and anyone else who owns it and hasn't been blown away by it yet, the end of Oh Comely (and Two Headed Boy pt. 1, both songs that fade into instrumentals) is perhaps one of the best few seconds of music.

"But now we move to feel. For ourselves inside some stranger's stomach.
    Place your body here. Let your skin begin to blend itself with mine----"

Edit: Loo. I just noticed another reference to being in stomachs, maybe there is some code to crack!

3. Mr. Pedro

Mr. Pedro Der Patton

Impulse buy. Scooped up In Utero while killing time at the mall after class.

4. Shnay

Shnay Ne'er-Do-Well

At the moment, I find myself listening to the catchier songs like King of Carrot Flowers Pt. 1, the title track, and Holland, 1945 more than I take in the album as a whole. Part of this is because when I listen to an album all the way through I like to devote most of my attention to it rather than have it on in the background, and I haven't had much time to do that lately. I've found that each time I do listen to it all the way through I notice and appreciate more than I did on the previous listen, but it still hasn't quite clicked with me in the way you've described. Still, my fondness for the album is only growing, so it's very likely that I will appreciate it on new levels at some point.

That's not to say I only regard it as having a few catchy tunes at the moment. I agree about the emotions in the singer's voice and the instrumentals on The Fool. I've also found the lyrics to be a wonderful mix of surreal imagery and down to earth emotions.

5. randomguy

randomguy Came, liked Ike, and left.

I'm the same way. What I've found works really well is to play the album in the background, but when you're doing tasks that don't require much mental effort, so you can still pay attention to and appreciate the music. What I've been doing recently whenever I get a new album is playing it while I take a long bike ride, mow the lawn, work out, clean house or something similar. That way, you don't need an hour or so just to sit on your bed and listen to music (although that's fun too), but you can still process and take in the music.

Anyhow, after a quiet summer, September's a pretty big month for me, music-wise. I've picked up a lot of new albums recently, and I'm gonna share some of 'em here, with plenty of links for those willing to check out the music for free. Dial-up users beware!

One purchase that I made recently was Guy Forsyth's Love Songs: For and Against. Forsyth is an Austin-based blues/rock/roots musician who sings, plays the guitar and also plays a mean harmonica. Love Songs is his best album yet, and shows a huge musical progression over his past stuff. It's got great instrumentation and some really excellent lyrics. You can listen to the first four songs off the album (for free and legally) here. Although all are good, I particularly recommend "Long Long Time" (which has really great lyrics that really resonate with me personally) and "Brand New Day". In fact, were I to write a song, it'd probably sound a hell of a lot like "Long Long Time".

I also picked up Rodney Crowell's The Outsider. For those unfamiliar with Crowell, he's a country/folk/rock guy whose Fate's Right Hand was one of the best albums of 2003. His latest has biting, satirical lyrics and a great rock sound. NPR recently had him on for an interview and to perform several of his new songs, and you can listen to the stream here. I particularly recommend going to 8:00 on the player. That's the point where he performs "The Obscenity Prayer", which is hands-down my favorite song so far this year. It's got a great tune and some of the cleverest, most hilarious and most resonant lyrics I've heard in some time. Start with that song and listen to the rest of the stream later.

Finally, I'm really digging Citizen Cope's latest, The Clarence Greenwood Recordings. He's a weird mix of rap, rock, alternative, funk and a few other styles, and his first single, "Son's Gonna Rise" is a great track indeed. You can watch the video for it off of his site here.

And yeah, that's it for now, but there'll probably be more later.

6. atf487

atf487 come on feel the illinoise

Nice Microphones reference.

I don't even know of anything coming out this month...

edit: LOVE KRAFT!

#6 atf487, Sep 3, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2005
  7. SirLemming

SirLemming a playa in a world of NPCs

Switchfoot is making their return this month with the album-after-the-breakout-album (but their fifth overall), Nothing Is Sound. I know there are at least two great songs on there, and I hope the rest live up to them.
    Other than that, I don't think there's anything I care about coming out this month. Originally Mute Math's debut LP was scheduled for this month, but it's been pushed back to late Winter or early Spring 2006. Kevin Max is next month... System Of A Down is November...

I guess there's always the very small chance that KoRn will have their 7th album ready this month as originally planned. But it hasn't been confirmed Yes or No, so I'd assume No.

Still have no idea what Deadsy's doing with their supposedly 2005 album.

8. Harvey

Harvey Member

The only CD release I'm looking forward to this month is the new Harvey Danger album "Little by Little." It comes out on September 13th, and it's been a long five year wait for fans. There's been no other album I've been looking forward more to this year than this one.

http://www.harveydanger.com/

9. Carolina Red

Carolina Red Your ad here (for just $15k!)

Besides new albums by Coheed and Cambria and Super Furry Animals, not much going on. Also, a new Local H live album is coming on the 13th.

10. HumanoidTyphoon

HumanoidTyphoon Active Member

Of couse my theories and connections may mean nothing at all =/

Yeah there’s stuff on there like Goldaline which probably only makes sense to Jeff. As a whole though the album’s about weird dreams with Anne Frank and I can find things throughout that say that to me. However the Carrot Flowers trio I always felt was sort of off. It goes from a weird family scene in the kitchen to Jesus Christ (watch that’s loud) to whatever you’d call part 3. As I said maybe it’s obvious but it came to me that it probably only concerns Jeff himself.(He was in Synthetic Flying Machine so that’s where I make the connection) It’s a sort of set up that then moves into In The Aeroplane Over The Sea which introduces us to Anne Frank “What a beautiful face I have found in this place.”

That’s exactly what I did at first. It wasn’t until around the 4th or so listen when I heard him talking about semen in the garden that I went “Hey! I really need to take more time with this.” The Two Headed Boy songs took me the longest to warm up to but when I finally got them that was when I decided Aeroplane was probably the greatest album ever made.

Also agree on Jeffs singing ability as a side note I was recently listening to this when I picked someone up and by Two Headed Boy he said "What the hell is with this guy. You mind if I change this?" and proceeded to put on 80's hair bands.=[

11. Nik Jam

Nik Jam Playing the Angel

12. RD!

"Another song which dates from Jeff's time in Seattle is "Up And Over [part 3]" ... "A lot of us were really lost at this point in our lives and we were all pretty scared. So I wrote that song for everybody to sort of say, you know, everything's going to be alright, don't be afraid...""

I agree that a lot of this is concerning Mangum's mind since he's quoted as saying something to the effect of his albums are him trying to describe his dream worlds. Though for all it's insanity Mangum manages to dream coherent dreams. I've wanted to do this for a while and it's as much me collecting my own thoughts on it for myself as it is me trying to relate it, so bear with me. Jeff says his albums are stories, so here is my take:

King of Carrot Flowers [S, G] is youth. Part 1 is about his childhood, the bright-eyed wonderment of a youth between all the **** around him. Part 2 is waiting, for Jesus to save him (an old friend) or life to be over. Part 3 is I suppose, "everything's going to be alright, don't be afraid" because when else is that more important to know than at the end of childhood?

In the Aeroplane Over the Sea [G, A, S] (which is my favorite) surprises me that it's sung with such a heavy feel to it. It's about enjoying life at least that's what it means to me. American Beauty-esque, even. This song made me give the band a second look.

Two Headed Boy pt. 1 [A, S] this boy wants sex! A love song for sure. Note connections between spines and radios/signals between the two parts of this. Whatever it means. This song has my only complaint on the album, the lyrics: "Watching spirals of white softly flow / Over your eyelids and all you did / Will wait until the point when you let go" just sound impossibly dirty to me--even over the Communist lyrics. =[

The Fool is such a moving instrumental. A funeral march for his lover who is gone away now?

Holland, 1945 [A, G] is a complete mystery to me. It's a good song, but I don't get it. Except the theme of eternity (and reincarnation?)

I know Mangum isn't a fan of meaningless sex (Song Against Sex) so I'm taking a guess that the girl in the Communist Daughter is someone who feels used and distant (Double communist entendre!) who feels dead inside. She tries to fill the distance with sex and by the tone of the song, it doesn't seem to be working.

Oh Comely [A, G, S] is a mammoth. It's another song about sex. An odd contradiction in this song with Holland, 1945. "I know they burried her body with others, her sister and mother and 500 families." Mangum said he was so taken by Frank's story that he cried and wished he could have saved her. I guess that's told here. It's a mourning song. About Ann Frank and sex... I love this band. =[

Ghost [G]: "When I started writing "Ghost," the song that goes [he sings] "Ghost ghost I know you live within me," we thought we had a ghost living in the house, in the bathroom. So I locked the door and started to sing to the ghost in the bathroom. But that was sort of like singing about the ghost who we thought was whistling in the other room, and that kept waking me up, and then also a ghost that may or may not live within me. And it ended up being a reference to Anne Frank, too. A lot of the songs on this record are about Anne Frank." I just like to think that it's saying death is not the end. Eternity and all that. If nothing else, the Ghost is immortal because she is remembered. Another spine reference.

The Untitled song I have no idea what it's supposed to transition or end, but it's very good.

Two Headed Boy pt. 2 [G] the circus wheel keeps spinning--I don't know if he's lementing on a brother he lost, or that he simply never had or if the narrative is not to be trusted and it is about bringing someone into the world. How it relates back to pt. 1? Spines, Breaking, Radio Wires...

[A] - Ann Frank, [G] - Ghosts and eternity, - sex.

This album reminds me of FLCL in a way. I understand it on a level that I couldn't completely explain. But I try my best and either way it's always moving whenever I hear it.

13. MajorTom

MajorTom DI-AH-PERS!!!

I picked up "Murmur" by R.E.M. Now I'm very close to having every one of their albums.

14. joshualane

joshualane I want some pie

I'm looking forward to the new Stellastar CD (out Sept 13th) and the Jimmy Eat World EP (also out the 13th I think). I might get the new Coheed And Cambria CD too, but it depends.

EDIT: Forgot about the new CD from Metric on Sept 27th... although, I think it might have been pushed back to October 4th.

#14 joshualane, Sep 4, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2005
  15. Andy Mancini

Andy Mancini Active Member

I'm excited as well. I haven't heard "Cream and Bastards Rise" yet since they don't play it on the radio, but the demo of "Wine, Women, and Song" on the "Sometimes You Have To Work On Christmas (Sometimes)" EP is great, so I have high hopes. The whole "you can load it free" thing is interesting as well, though I plan on buying the actual CD. As for other releases this month, I'm definitely going to pick up the new Switchfoot album, and maybe Painkiller if I feel like being scared out of my mind.

Moving on to albums, I picked up the new OK Go album, "Oh No," last Thursday. You know, one day they're going to record an album that will knock everyone on their collective asses. This one isn't it, but they're getting closer. While the first album was the biggest glam record this side of "T-Rex's Greatest Hits," "Oh No" is more in the vein of Graham Coxon's solo work or Stereophonics. Constant guitars and singer Tim Norwood's Bono-esque posturing replace the liberal use of the Kurzweil synth that drove their first release. Nowhere is this change more apparent than in the single "Do What You Want," a three minute lesson on how to "borrow" U2's sound and still feel good about it in the morning.

That's not to say that the glam isn't represented, however. "Crash the Party" and "The House Wins," the album's two strongest tracks, has the cheeky 70's feel that they seem to love. Overall though, the lack of a strong single, as well as a distinct lack of direction, help make "Oh No" just a compilation of tracks, not a full album. An enjoyable, fun collection of tracks, mind you, but a collection nonetheless.

#15 Andy Mancini, Sep 5, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2005
  16. Cassie Star

Cassie Star I have no gender.

Got for birthday:

Live - V
    Blindside - Silence
    KISS - The Very Best of KISS

17. Chrono1995

Chrono1995 Don't get any big ideas.

I'm a bit late to the party, but The Microphones' The Glow Pt. 2 is a masterpiece. It's all I've been listening to during the course of the weekend.

18. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING
    Staff Member Moderator

Hmm, haven't posted my review of Late Registration yet, so let me do that now.

This is a great hip-hop album. College Dropout was the surprise of 2003, but this album takes a different tone. While Kanye's debut album was more of a feel good type of album, this one is more somber, more mellow, and more topical. "Heard Em' Say", the soon-to-be third single is one of my favorite songs on the album. It's about keeping your head up even when things go wrong. Adam Levine of Maroon 5 brings a nice hook to the song. Another song I like is "Crack Music" with The Game in it. A song about how crack has affected the African-American community, this should be the 4th single from the album. I know some people complained that The Game should have had a verse in this, but I heard the remix of this which has The Game verse in it, and well, Kanye made the right decision. "Gone" with Cam'ron and Consequence is another song that brings a simile to my face. Cam'ron, who usually takes one line and rhymes with it, didn't ruin the song and made me laugh when he tried to sing to the Ray Charles sample.

Probably the best song on here is "Roses." A song about his sick grandmother, Kanye really pours his heart out and the sample he used is so infectious that this sad song makes you keep the faith and have joy in your life.

The downside of the album is the skits, which also plagued College Dropout. While the first skit wasn't bad, the others just bog the album down. Also, I wish they kept the song Kanye did with Common, Talib Kweli, and Q-Tip. All in all though, one of the best hip-hop albums of the year.

This month, Little Brother is releasing an album called The Minstrel Show. It looks good. Next month, Atmosphere and Jin release albums, so I'll be looking for that.

19. BatWill

BatWill Member

Bon Jovi Have A Nice Day

20. Youko Recca

Youko Recca Retired

Good review...

I managed to listen to these two tracks that were apparently left off, recently. They are nice. Shame they only made the import, I believe. On another note, it's funny how the bear is all alone throughout that school. Just looking at it's face and all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.