1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

This Month in Music (May)

Discussion in 'The Musiquarium' started by Zebi, May 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lutochris

Lutochris Active Member

Honestly I didn't think either of the non-Bruce albums (from the 90s) were all that bad either, I just didn't like them as much without his voice.

Don't know if anyone here is into Norwegian black metal, but I just saw Dimmu Borgir last night and it was a great show. I was worried about how their sound would translate into a small venue (since their last 2 albums were recorded with a full orchestra, as opposed to previous albums that just used synth), but the synth was done very well and they sounded great.

Their new album (In Sorte Diaboli) kicks ass btw. A grand poetic and epic expression of pure, true Satanism, not just some flashy evil garbage packaged up for the kids.

2. Punisher

Punisher One Shot At Glory

What exactly do you dislike about Seventh Son? While it is a step down from SIT, the title track(which I think is the best vocal performance by Bruce ever), Moonchild, and The Clairvoyant are all very enjoyable tracks. Infinite Dreams is pretty good for being a slower song. And on top of all that, it's got my personal favorite album art of all the Maiden CD's(which is saying something considering I love all their covers).

3. The Myst

The Myst Truthiness for Springfield

I think they went a little overboard with the synth on it for one thing. Other than that, I just feel like it has weaker material. It's also pretty dated. It sounds like an 80's metal album. Outside of their debut album and Killers, everything before Seventh Son could've been recorded yesterday and they would be relevant today. They would just have different, probably better production. Hell, their last three albums prove that. Brave New World really just picks up where Somewhere In Time left off, in my opinion. It does have a lot of Virtual XI in it (Because much of it was left over from those sessions) but it's very much in line for where they could've gone after SIT. Instead, they went in the direction of Seventh Son. Seventh Son, unlike the previous albums, ends up feeling dated to that era. The synth on it has something to do with that too, actually. Really gives it that cheesy 80's feel.

As for the art, I didn't really like what they did with Eddie. He started looking really weird around that era. My favorite Eddie "look"s are Trooper Eddie (The Trooper), Phantom Of The Opera Eddie (Run To The Hills Live), Cyborg Eddie (Somewhere In Time), Edward The Great (Edward The Great), and Eddie On The Road (Death On The Road).

Incidentally, they have an action figure of Phantom Of The Opera Eddie at the comic store I go to and I'm considering getting it. It's badass. Expensive though.

4. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

Picked up the first Wreckless Eric album through iTunes. The physical copy costs way too much.

Great album, though.

Also waiting for Elvis' "Get Happy" to come in through the mail. (That's Costello, for you people who thought I meant that OTHER dude.)

5. Punisher

Ah, I guess I can understand that. The synth is really an 80's instrument. But I think that's part of the charm of the whole album. And being a concept album explains why it consisted of weaker material I guess, having only one subject to stretch across eight songs. They did pretty well with that tho IMO.

And cyborg eddie is my second fave. Love the SIT album art as well.

6. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING
    Staff Member Moderator

Here is the official music video for Kanye's "Can't Tell Me Nothing": http://youtube.com/watch?v=n02ezOiznOk

I like it. It's clear they didn't spend too much money on it, but sometimes, do don't need to spend alot of money to make something good.

7. .bg

.bg Active Member

8. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

Mott The Hoople - All The Young Dudes
    XTC - The Black Sea
    XTC - Skylarking
    Wreckless Eric - Big Smash

Last music I get for awhile. Gotta slow down.

9. Noukon

Noukon Deep Blue

I finally picked up United Abominations.

Really, really digging this album. Megadeth has obviously had infinitely more staying power than Metallica, despite living in their shadow for so long...

10. Lutochris

Lutochris Active Member

Funny that you guys should mention synth, since the guitar synth on SIT is it's main point critics usually mention first. Honestly I don't really think the synth on either album takes away from it. It might seem dated but it gives the albums the sound they were going for and I thought it worked (didn't they also use it on BNW? Blood Brothers sounds like it has some in the middle).

As for synth being an 80s thing, a lot of modern power and black metal bands use synth to create an orchestral/symphonic feel, though a few bands (Dimmu Borgir) have actually started using real full orchestras in their studio albums.

Well that would be because Metallica sucks, and Megadeth does not. Basically Metallica has made 2 good albums on their own (Masters and Justice), since most of their first 2 were made from riffs they stole from Mustaine. And they still have yet to make an album worthy of their first 4.

11. Mr. Pedro

Mr. Pedro Der Patton

I'm a Costello fanatic to the point where I seldom think of the other dude when I hear that name. O_O

Good call on the XTC stuff too. Skylarking is something that I'd easily place in my top twenty (of albums that is). I've been meaning to look into some of their "pre-breakdown" stuff. I'm thinking Drums & Wires.

Anywho, some stuff of my own I just scooped up. Maybe this'll help with pupil dilation:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Punisher

[​IMG][​IMG]

Got these on Zune Marketplace. Defintley an easy power metal band to get into if anybody is looking for new stuff to listen to. I don't know why Kai Hansen didn't just sing for their earleir stuff, I know playing the guitar and singing at the same time is difficult, but his voice is incredible as proven by his work with Helloween and the later Gamma Ray stuff.
    I don't know if they did use it on BNW, but the sound they got with the synth for SIT and Seventh Son is part of the reason why those are my two favorite Maiden albums.

13. SirLemming

SirLemming a playa in a world of NPCs

^ Fun fact: "Gamma Ray" was the original band name of Queens Of The Stone Age. They changed it because of the preexisting band.

Meanwhile, KoRn.com has posted a July 31, 2007 release date for the album, along with a behind-the-scenes video. The album is still untitled... either that, or it's called "KoRn" again. There's a rumor going around that that actually could be the case.

14. The Myst

On the final day of May, I stopped into Half-Price Books and picked up...

[​IMG]

One of my favorite Rush albums. I think the early 90's was one of their best eras. I almost got Test For Echo too but that one wasn't quite as good as Counterparts and Roll The Bones.

[​IMG]

My favorite Pantera album. It's a step-up from CFH but it's not too heavy and brutal like the later ones.

[​IMG]

Yeah, sorry guys, I love Metallica. My favorite band actually. I own all of their albums except Live ****, St. Anger, and, until now, Load. But I found it cheap so I bought it. It's a fairly uneven album for them so I just never bought it. I like it though and it's got my favorite song by them, "The Outlaw Torn".

As for Mustaine and Metallica, the only songs he wrote a large part of were "The Four Horsemen" (Entirely his composition) and "Jump In The Fire".

15. Punisher

[​IMG][​IMG]
    FYE had a sale and I finally was able to afford these.

16. The Myst

A Matter Of Life And Death is amazing. I love how raw it is. They laid it down live in the studio and didn't tamper with it at all. It's so much more natural than most albums these days. There's a bit of repetition on certain songs though. "For The Greater Good Of God" is one of my favorites on there but the title and chorus are repeated a lot. It doesn't take away from the song but it is noticable.

Dance Of Death is really good but it almost seems like it was what inspired the raw approach to AMOLAD. It's got a very processed sound to it. I've heard Bruce actually mailed the band his vocals on this one. Anyway, the title track is my favorite Maiden song. "Paschendale" is an epic. The acoustic experiment in "Journeyman" is a great success. It has a few weaker tracks though. "New Frontier" is a good first song for Nicko but he has a lot of room to improve in the writing department. Finally, who approved that cover? Is it supposed to be a joke?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.