1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

This Month in Music (May)

Discussion in 'The Musiquarium' started by Zebi, May 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, the full song to Kanye's "Can't Tell Me Nothing" is now out and I like it. However, I thought Kanye could have made his hook revolve the singer's voice much better. Most of the time when the singer starts saying something other than "Ohhhh", Kanye just keeps rapping. I believe this song also has Young Jeezy in it, as I could hear his trademark laugh in the background. Maybe for this, they took out his verse.

2. The Myst

The Myst Truthiness for Springfield

New Megadeth today!

I've really warmed up to it a lot. It's not their best album but it does rock pretty hard on some songs. I still hate the new look of Vic. I don't so much mind the skin but the hair looks stupid. Anyway, it's a good album. I hope it peaks higher than Linkin Park's album. I know it won't but still. >_>

3. purplehairedwonder

purplehairedwonder No woman should suffer at the hands of men
    Staff Member Moderator

I picked up the new Linkin Park album today. After the first time through it, I wasn't quite sure what to make of it. Considering the single that was released was "What I've Done," I was expecting more of the classic Linkin Park, but it turns out "What I've Done" was the only song on the album really similar to their old stuff. First time through I was digesting the new sound more than anything, making the connection to LP from the sound. The fact the album also deserved its parental advisory also threw me, since LP is usually clean.

Now, on about the fifth time through, here are my thoughts song-by-song:

Wake: The booklet in the CD mentions the double meaning of the title and I'm glad it did since I don't think I would have thought of that. Overall, I like how it functions as the album opener. It sets the mood for what is coming in an appropriate manner.

Given Up:
    The one song on the album I definitely dislike. I've never been able to get into the excessive screaming and that was definitely present in this song. It's definitely more hard core than anything LP has released before so it's interesting in that way, but I'm not a fan of this one.

Leave Out All the Rest
    :
    Quite possibly my favorite of the album, it's very pretty. Not a lot else to say other than that I really really like this song.

Bleed It Out:
    The album booklet mentions for this song that it's evident the band was having fun with this song and until I listened to it a few times did I really get what that meant. It's different than everything else on the album and is just really fun to listen to and clap along with. Definitely one of the stronger songs.

Shadow of Day:
    Another pretty and mellow song. It wasn't especially exciting, but it wasn't trying to be. It's very smooth and very easy on the ears, which isn't something you get a lot from LP so it's a nice change of pace. I really like the delivery of the chorus in this song more than anything. Just makes me want to sing along and I usually do.

What I've Done:
    More in the vein of LP of old, I really like this song. It's not the greatest song I've ever heard, but it's par for the course as far as LP goes and it works well enough for me.

Hands Held High:
    It doesn't really make much of an impact until you actually listen to the lyrics. After doing that, I found it to be a pretty powerful song. Very mellow but I'm a big fan of mellow songs so it's good to me.

No More Sorrow:
    Another song that's harder than classic LP, but this time around I really like the execution. It's one of the catchier songs on the album, I think. The lyrics also have a political hint to them.

Valentine's Day:
    One of my favorites on the album, it's also a mellow one. I'm a big fan of Chester Bennington's voice when he just outright sings and this song is a perfect example of this. In fact, in terms of LP songs, this song is downright pretty.

In Between:
    A different sound with Mike Shinoda singing, but not in a bad way. Also a very mellow song, it's one of the slower songs. But in this song's case, the mellow tinges on boring. It's not a bad song by any means, it's just not quite as memorable as some of the other tunes on all fronts.

In Pieces:
    This one has a different sound to it and while it shows more experimentation with different musical ideas, it doesn't make a huge impact, though the guitar rift towards the end is pretty cool.

The Little Things Give You Away:
    A tribute song about Hurricane Katrina, I think this song is one of the prettier ones on the album. It doesn't try to do too much and it does well at what it does try to do. This is one of my favorites on the album. It's mellow, as would be expected of a song about Katrina and it works well as the album closer.

Overall, while it took me some time to adjust to the new sound that goes by the name of Linkin Park, the more I listen to it, the more I enjoy it. I don't think it contains some of the real radio hits their first two albums did, but functions well as a whole. I'm a big fan of mellow rock songs and this album is full of them, so I'm satisfied with that.

As for a grade, I'd give it a B- to a B.

4. SirLemming

SirLemming a playa in a world of NPCs

Another new KoRn song, "Evolution", is on their Myspace page. It's also the first official single (I think) and it premiered on KROQ.

This is most likely one of the more poppy and electronic songs on the album, a big contrast from "I Will Protect You", which had a more old-school and technical feel. Judging from a recent interview, there should be plenty of both. Also notable is that while The Matrix was once again part of the writing and production team, KoRn felt that the songs didn't sound like songs that would work well live, so they reworked them with Atticus Ross. So this song may sound like the work of The Matrix, but it isn't quite.

5. SirLemming

IMPORTANT QOTSA UPDATE: If you pre-order the album from InSound, you get an exclusive "The Fun Machine Took a S*** and Died" single. Blank, the primary "insider" on the QOTSA forum, has revealed that this is indeed a new studio recording, not the vinyl demo version or a live version.

Needless to say, I pre-ordered Era Vulgaris today.

6. Lutochris

Lutochris Active Member

Seriously? Don't get me wrong I love Somewhere in Time, but come on - Powerslave? Seventh Son? Number of the Beast? Brave New World? Anyone?

Actually SIT was my 1st Maiden album, my friend gave it to me for my birthday when I turned 12 (another friend gave me Megadeth's Killing is my Business). And thanks to that album I got an A on my history test (had to write an essay on Alexander the Great). Bruce Dickinson is the best history teacher I ever had.

7. Punisher

Punisher One Shot At Glory

The problem is that Maiden has too many great albums, although Losfer Woods kinda knocks Powerslave from being their best effort for being a rather unimpressive instrumental. SIT doesn't have a single boring/bad track, all of them are solid. Alexander the Great(which really is an educational song now that you mention it) and Caught Somewhere in Time obviously reaching greatness.

Although Seventh Son of a Seventh Son IS my personal favorite Maiden song. Eh.

8. The Myst

Powerslave has a couple of incredible songs (My favorite being "Rime Of The Ancient Mariner") but has too much filler. "Flash Of The Blade", "The Duellist", and "Back In The Village" are totally forgettable.

I rank Seventh Son as second only to The X Factor as their worst album. I really dislike most of Seventh Son, in particular "Can I Play With Madness?" which is like... the worst Maiden song ever in my opinion. I hate that song. That said, I can tolerate the title track, "Infinite Dreams", and "The Evil That Men Do" occasionally. If they come up in shuffle, I'll listen. But I can't remember the last time I actually went and listened to Seventh Son on purpose.

Number Of The Beast is awesome but "Invaders" and "Gangland" always seemed pretty mediocre to me. Still, it has some of the best Maiden songs ever. The title track, "Run To The Hills", "Hallowed Be Thy Name", "The Prisoner", "Children Of The Damned", "22 Acacia Avenue". All classics.

Brave New World was a fantastic comeback album. The only song on it I don't like is "Dream Of Mirrors". I also find "The Nomad" to be a little long but I enjoy it.

My album rankings:

1. Somewhere In Time
    2. A Matter Of Life And Death
    3. Iron Maiden
    4. Brave New World
    5. The Number Of The Beast
    6. Piece Of Mind
    7. Powerslave
    8. Dance Of Death
    9. Killers
    10. Virtual XI
    11. No Prayer For The Dying
    12. Fear Of The Dark
    13. Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
    14. The X Factor

9. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

I got the new Fishbone and Dinosaur Jr. albums, and they're REALLY good. Probably album of the year material.

I also picked up The Noisettes "What's The Time Mr. Wolf?" as 've been constantly getting it recommended to me, but I haven't really listened to it yet.

10. TheMecca

Picked up They Might Be Giants' The Else on iTunes because they can just take my wallet at this point.
    Best purchase I've ever made from the iTunes store, but if I were the normal person I would wait for the actual album (hits stores in July) because there's a rather large bonus CD in it for you.

11. The Myst

Heard Ozzy's new album. It's awful.

Got Chris Cornell's Euphoria Morning. It's awesome. I've heard bad things about his new one though.

12. Baltofan

Baltofan Active Member

Shrek the Third is my only interest.

13. sdp

sdp miscrave

I've only heard the single while, while not horrible its def. something I wouldn't mind listening on like radio but nothing memorable....

Sad, his last studio record in 2001 was amazing.

I also heard the 2 tracks of Mansons new album which are indeed horrible.

Korns 2 tracks released on myspace at least show some promise.

14. The Myst

There's some plain horrible stuff on the album outside of the single. A balled called "Lay Your World On Me" is probably the worst Ozzy song I've ever heard.

I agree, Down To Earth was great.

15. SirLemming

Trent Reznor says some interesting things in this interview:
    http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,21741980-5006024,00.html

The most interesting part is this:

16. SirLemming

Oh my. Today is the day, QOTSA fans.

Check out this web site for full listens of "Turnin' On The Screw" and "I'm Designer", both of which are mad awesome.

www.eravulgaris.co.uk

In COMPLETELY UNRELEATED news... Somebody... has found a way to stream each and every song from the album, knowing the track titles.

And in STILL COMPLETELY UNRELATED news... a leak is imminent.

17. The Myst

18. SirLemming

So basically, Era Vulgaris is amazing. Anyone who lost faith because of Lullabies To Paralyze should really check this out. There's a good balance of catchy melodic songs and WHAT THE HECK?! songs here. The guitar riffs are furious and borderline incomprehensible, in a good way. Someone "on the inside" said that this album would sound Captain Beefheart-esque, and I definitely see some of that. There's some really chaotic stuff here. There's also a surprising amount of Beatles influence in the vocals, most noticeable in "Turning On The Screw" and "Battery Acid". I'd say the prevailing sound of the album is like if you took "Hispanic Impressions" and "Give The Mule What He Wants" from the self-titled album and then actually made them good.

First Year Zero and now this... So far, this is shaping up to be one heck of a year.

What I'm wondering is whether it'll be that or the remix album.

#58 SirLemming, May 23, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2007
  19. Lutochris

Lutochris Active Member

I gotta disagree on Powerslave, I see it the same way as Rust in Peace or Reign in Blood. It just comes at you nonstop, I don't think the instrumental takes anything away from it, and even though the middle tracks aren't as memorable, after actually forcing myself to sit down and listen to them I realized that they're actually really good songs. Like I eventually did with Five Magics/Poison was the Cure/Lucretia (Rust in Peace) and Altar of Sacrifice/Jesus Saves/Criminally Insane/Reborn (Reign in Blood). Now, I would probably say The Duelists is one of my favorite songs (I love Bruce's vocal arrangement on the verses, and what an awesome bridge), same with Five Magics and Altar of Sacrifice.

As for Seventh Son, ouch that's harsh. I thought everyone loved that album?

20. The Myst

"Five Magics", "Poison Was The Cure", and "Lucretia" have always been some of my favorites from that album. If I had to pick a weak track, I'd probably say it would be the title track. Never connected with me like the other songs on the album.

Almost everybody does love Seventh Son. I've ended up in many arguments with other Maiden fans based on my dislike for Seventh Son and my actually liking Virtual XI (Which is usually considered their worst moment for reasons I've never been able to figure out since even fans of The X Factor dislike it so it's not just that Bruce and Adrian aren't there).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.