1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

This Month in Music (May)

Discussion in 'The Musiquarium' started by Zebi, May 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zebi

Zebi Take off, eh!

Welcome to May's "This Month In Music", a place for discussion of music news, recent albums purchases, concerts, and more. To see a list of upcoming releases, check out Wikipedia's list of albums to be released in 2007.

2. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Hmmm. I see the new Duran Duran album is listed as coming out May 14, though the album's page still says summer/September.

May also pick up the new one by Scorpions, Humanity - Hour 1, and I'll definitely be getting Kelly Clarkson's My December and Alice Cooper's Along Came A Spider, though neither have a set date yet.

3. SirLemming

SirLemming a playa in a world of NPCs

My interests this month are Linkin Park and Red Cloud. Clips of all the songs on Red Cloud's new album just went up at Amazon tonight. As for Linkin Park, well... All I'll say is I'm going to "try before I buy" one way or another. I've never considered them a reliable source of good music. I don't like the first single, but they never choose the best song. In fact they usually choose the worst song. The clip I've heard of "Given Up" sounds good, if not groundbreaking. For them it's different because it's a lot more fast and heavy than usual.

4. The Myst

The Myst Truthiness for Springfield

Rush's new album came out yesterday. It's awesome.

Going to see Heaven And Hell/Megadeth/Machine Head tonight.

5. Noukon

Noukon Deep Blue

Of note for May is that, on the 30th, Nightwish will be releasing their new single, "Eva", over the internet, while simultaneously announcing the new vocalist. I'm eager to see what direction they'll be headed in.

Albums that interest me this month:

Snakes & Arrows by Rush
    Minutes to Midnight by Linkin Park
    UNited Abominations by Megadeth
    Black Rain by Ozzy Osbourne
    Unia by Sonata Arctica

All the same, I will probably not be rushing out to buy any of these.

June, however, is going to be a HUGE month for me, with new releases from Dream Theater, Symphony X, and Kamelot. Symphony X's new album is five years in the making.

6. Marklar

Marklar RIP Laurel Aitken, 1927-2005

The Beastie Boys have announced that their next album, The Mix Up, will be released June 26. It was previously announced that the album would contain no samples, but (here comes the shocker) there will also not be any vocals. All instrumental stuff influenced by the likes of Gang of Four and the Killing Joke. Could be a bad move on their part, but I'm a sucker so I'll probably still get it.

7. The Myst

Definitely get Snakes & Arrows. Rush's schedule has slowed down a lot since all the stuff Neil went through in the late 90's but it's always great when they do finally get some new stuff out. It's even better when the album is better than their last two or three.

I don't like the new Megadeth much personally but most fans seem pretty happy with it. It has a few good moments but it's very disappointing to me.

I loved Down To Earth but Black Rain is looking to be overhyped and, well, bad. I wish it would leak because I hate basing my entire opinion around "I Don't Want To Stop" but as it is, I don't plan on buying it.

I'm eagerly awaiting the new Symphony X album myself. I got into them with the first Gigantour so it had already been several years since their last album (Which I think was one of their best) and it feels like the years since then have just dragged on with so little news or anything on a new album. It was refreshing to finally hear it was going to be out in June. I'm trying to get tickets to go see them in August. I haven't got them yet but it's not like they're gonna sell out or anything. I don't think anybody here has even heard of the band. I got the special edition of Divine Wings Of Tragedy for like two dollars in a bargain bin one time and that's the only time I've seen any of their albums around here.

Speaking of live shows, Heaven And Hell/Megadeth/Machine Head was amazing. Machine Head was all right. I'm not a fan but they did this song dedicated to Dimebag that was cool. Megadeth was incredible. Heaven And Hell was probably the best live band I've ever seen. Dio doesn't seem to um... age. At all. It's like he's still 25. Tony Iommi is still one of the best guitar players in the business. Geezer Butler is one of my heroes as a big fan of the bass guitar. Vinny Appice is a solid drummer and he had a pretty badass solo spot. Fantastic show.

8. The Myst

This might be worth checking out. I'm not a Beastie Boys fan but it's such a strange idea for them that I want to hear it just for the novelty of it.

9. Noukon

Noukon Deep Blue

Interestingly enough, they were well into the writing process on the new album when they were tapped for Gigantour 05, and ended up pushing it back for the sake of the tour (since it gave them some much-needed mainstream exposure). I really hope the album is worth the wait, but SymX is one band that has never disappointed me; even their 25-minute set at Gigantour was phenomenal; so I'm not worried.

10. The Myst

Yeah, I've got high hopes for this one. I hope the "Paradise Lost" epic is as good as the "The Oddysey" one.

11. Punisher

Punisher One Shot At Glory

I have heard the new Kamelot album(Ghost Opera) and while I can't say that it didn't disappoint me at first, it defintley grew on me and I consider it now a very solid release. It's not quite as amazing as The Black Halo was, but that only shows how incredible of an album TBH is. Overrall, I am still getting this the day it hit stores. Roy Khan is as perfect as ever and Kamelot has perfected their sound.

I won't say much else, as there is only one other Kamelot fan here, but "Solitare" is a great lead in to "Rule the World" and the transition is seamless. I just can't stop listening to it.

#11 Punisher, May 3, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2007
  12. Bahamut_King

Bahamut_King Member

I got Tori Amos' new album today, American Doll Posse. I love Tori, but I think this will be one of those albums where I'm going to have listen to it several times before I fully appreciate it. I do love Big Wheel, Bouncing Off Clouds, and Dragon. Despite that though, her voice is as amazing as ever.

But, next week is all about Björk for me. I've literally been listening to Earth Intruders non stop since the second it was available for download on iTunes last month.

13. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

That sounds awesome. I'm glad they haven't lost their touch for trying new stuff, I was a little worried after the last album (even though it was solid, it wasn't exceptional)..

Edit: I just found this....

14. The Myst

I think Megadeth's new album is starting to grow on me after my initial, scathing review. Due in no small part to how much they wowed me with their live performance.

It almost feels as though it rekindled my waning fandom for the band because I'll admit, even the old stuff was feeling a bit tired before that show.

15. SirLemming

SirLemming a playa in a world of NPCs

Here's a rundown of Linkin Park's Minutes To Midnight.

Well, overall, I have to give them credit for not making the same album a third time. Unfortunately, while the album has less of a "guilty pleasure" feel than the previous ones, it's just not as fun as it should be. A lot of the songs are kind of low-key. They're not bad, but they're not really exciting either. I kinda wish they'd thrown in some of those apparently 90 other songs that they wrote for this album to spice it up a little. Most of these songs feel like they'd be used as the build-up or come-down for the real show-stopping stuff on an album, but they never really build up to anything.

I'll do a track-by-track thing.
    1. Wake: A pretty nice-sounding intro. I wish the rest of the album followed up on the sorta dark and electronic sound of this.
    2. Given Up: Straightforward heavy rock with more of a punk tempo/rhythm than they usually do. A fun song, if not much else.
    3. Leave Out All The Rest: Probably the best of the "ballad"-type songs on here.
    4. Bleed It Out: Very unusual song -- it's a hoedown done Linkin Park style, basically. For both uniqueness and catchiness, it's a highlight of the album. Also, it's one of two songs that has rapping on it.
    5. Shadow of the Day: Pretty boring.
    6. What I've Done: I like it better than I used to, but it's still pretty mellow stuff.
    7. Hands Held High: Definitely a unique track. Rapping over a church organ, with not-too-subtle stabs at George W. Bush. All things considered it's still pretty mellow and not really dynamic enough, even though it's unique.
    8. No More Sorrow: Finally another fun rocker, with a catchy electric guitar melody throughout. Some more political overtones here...
    9. Valentine's Day: Not nearly as bad as you'd expect, actually. Fairly mellow, but it picks up at the end, so overall I'd consider it a success.
    10. In Between: Mike Shinoda sings here and it's not particularly offensive, but the song also isn't particularly memorable.
    11. In Pieces: Another song where they tried something different: a ska-like guitar chord played over techno-influenced drums. There's a guitar solo toward the end, but it sounds pretty weak and abrupt. The song picks up after that, but they definitely could've done more with it.
    12. The Little Things Give You Away: A song about Hurricane Katrina, with acoustic guitars, and it's pretty. They definitely needed some more exciting tracks before this one, but it's a good closer.
    So, yeah. Considering how many slow, mellow songs are on here, it's definitely too short to sustain itself. And there's really just NO hip-hop on here at all, which I personally think is a bad move for them, although if they find a way to improve without increasing the hip-hop factor I won't complain.

I would say "QWERTY" is at least as good as most of the songs on here, if not better.

#15 SirLemming, May 4, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2007
  16. Noukon

Noukon Deep Blue

Kamelot is really, really brilliant with their song/interlude transitions. Definitely some of the highlights on their past albums, and something I look forward to listening for on Ghost Opera.

17. Punisher

Punisher One Shot At Glory

I take back everything I ever said about "Ghost Opera" being disppointing, Blucher is easily one of the most amazing songs they have ever written. I strongly encourage everyone here to give this album a try, Kamelot has strayed further and further away from power metal and more towards progressive, which has given this album a totally unique sound unlike any other. And as I said, Roy Khan is just an incredible vocalist, his voice fits the much darker lyrics and is filled with more emotion than ever before.

With a few more listens, this could easily become my favorite Kamelot release yet which is saying something.

18. The Myst

Black Sabbath's "Live At The Hammersmith Odeon" album came out on May 1st. It was limited to 5000 copies and was 30 bucks. I didn't get it because I felt that was a rip-off, even for a limited release.

I ended up getting it off Kerrazy on Wednesday but I hadn't listened yet.

I'm listening it now and I have to say, this is a pretty kick-ass live album. It's way better than Live Evil. I still think it's a rip-off to pay 30 dollars for a limited edition live album but it's cool.

I'm kind of offended that it sold out already in part because of people buying more than one copy of it though. Apparently, many Sabbath fans bought two or three copies. That's not really fair to those of us who may have wanted to buy it later. I mean, I know they wanted to help it sell out but still. I don't really care but it's the principle of the matter. Somebody out there didn't get to have a copy of it because some hardcore Sabbath fan decided he had to have three copies of the same album. Where's the fairness in that?

But I digress. It's a good album. Doesn't capture the awesomeness of them performing live and it's a little heavy on Ozzy era tracks but it's good nonetheless. It's a way better recording than Live Evil and there are far less overdubs on it. Dio's voice actually sounds like his real live voice on it. On Live Evil, his voice is so heavily overdubbed that it might as well have been recorded in the studio. He doesn't sound natural at all on it. I do love Live Evil but this is better.

19. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING
    Staff Member Moderator

Talib Kweli's new album, Eardrum is coming out on July 24th. This is the first official date given by Kweli himself(the other dates were given out by Warner Bros. even though Kweli wasn't finished with the album yet). The first single is "Hot Thing" which is produced by Will.i.am. Hopefully it will come out on this date.

20. The Myst

It's been several days since the new Nightingale song came out and I'm just now listening to it. The title track from their new album White Darkness (Which still has no release date for whatever reason). The new song sounds pretty much like it's picking up where they left off on Invisible. I like it but I think they need to get their edge back. One thing that made the first few albums so good was how dark everything was. The stuff on Invisible, and this song, seem too happy. There were some darker songs on Invisible so I'm hoping it's just a good mix on this album like that one was. But I do prefer the darker songs. This is still a good song though.

However, something I'm not late on is new Guns N' Roses! Three new demos leaked today. A new demo of "IRS" and brand new studio demos of "The Blues" and "Chinese Democracy". This is the first time we've heard either of those in studio versions. Honestly, it feels like we're getting closer and closer to everything they've recorded leaking. I mean, we've got almost enough fill up a whole album really. And the best thing is that we're finally getting studio quality stuff. These really do not sound like demos, they sound like finished versions. So let's get started...

"The Blues" sounds excellent. I'm not so sure I like the way Axl sings it as much on this demo as on the live recordings but the song has always been a very beautiful songs and it's in great form here. This could be a HUGE hit if it was released as a single. You know, whenever the hell Chinese Democracy is ever actually released.

"Chinese Democracy" ROCKS. Definitely a lot more of a modern rock sound on here than any of the other songs which either have an industrial sound to them ("IRS", "There Was A Time", "Better"), are piano based ("Madagascar", "The Blues"), or have a basic rock and roll sound ("Catcher In The Rye"). It's heavy and it's pretty cool.

"IRS" is the best sounding version of this song yet, just based on quality. It's not too different from the old demo except that there's a new solo in it and the production on it is totally different. The production on the old one sounded sort of industrial and more NIN sounding. This sounds more like the modern rock style of "Chinese Democracy". It's still a good song, though I'm not the biggest fan of the new solo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.