1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

This Month in Music (March)

Discussion in 'The Musiquarium' started by Zebi, Mar 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marklar

Marklar RIP Laurel Aitken, 1927-2005

So Bright Eyes is coming to my school in a few weeks and everyone's messin' their huggies about it, but I've never really looked into him/them before. Anyone wanna steer me in the right direction, recommend me some songs/albums?

2. clucky

clucky I'm Jewish!

Big D & the Kids Table - Strictly Rude
    March 20th, you're mine.

3. The Myst

The Myst Truthiness for Springfield

4. Marklar

Marklar RIP Laurel Aitken, 1927-2005

It's a damn fine album, IMO. It's already on sale at Downloadpunk.com for $8.99 if that floats your boat. And they put out a split with Chinese punks Brain Failure called From Beijing to Boston that's only 6 bucks on iTunes. AND they've got an exclusive pre-album EP on iTunes with a couple of tunes from Strictly Rude and a bonus track. I've heard everything but the bonus track, and Big D have more than proven themselves as an excellent and surprisingly mature ska punk band.

5. SirLemming

SirLemming a playa in a world of NPCs

NIN just released the GarageBand audio files for "Survivalism", and they announced that they plan to release EVERY track from the album that way eventually. Amazing.

Of course, I don't have a Mac, but someone at EchoingTheSound will surely convert the audio files to PC-compatible format shortly.

6. SirLemming

In addition to playing a new song (called "Voice") on tour, Mute Math apparently has an almost completely audible new studio cut during the behind-the-scenes featurette of their new DVD (which comes out March 20th but is on concert merchandise tables now). The song appears to be a finished version of a work-in-progress called "Fight" that they played during a few shows in their last tour.

I haven't heard it yet, but I will when I go home for spring break.

7. SirLemming

The first Queens of the Stone Age listening parties have happened. If Interscope doesn't push this release date up, I might have to freeze myself. I mean, how can an album that's already finished be released in JUNE?

Also...

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003558815

8. The Myst

Record companies put release dates so far away so they can promote the hell out of them before the release. Usually they leak ahead of time because of this.

Dream Theater's album was finished on Valentine's Day but it's not coming out till June either. Rush's album was finished in January and it's coming out in May.

When did Queens of the Stone Age finish their album? If it was February, then it makes sense that it's being released in June.

9. The Myst

And I'd like to know what happened to my last post. I originally posted the Rush cover there and then it disappeared. When I edited the post, there was no sign of anything having been posted so I just put up some NIN information in its place. But now the cover is back. That's... weird.

10. SirLemming

Well, NIN's album is also in the midst of listening parties now... and it comes out next month. And they're both on Interscope.

I know they do hype and stuff, but this almost seems too early, like the critics will have heard it forever and then it'll come out and... well I guess I'm just cranky, maybe.

11. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, rapper Papoose released his street single, "The Victory 2007" today. It's produced by Scott Storch and it uses the famous Rocky song as it's sample. It's pretty good. According to DJ Kay Slay, the "punch" is coming in two weeks, which means that the proper first single is probably coming out.

I've been keeping my eye out on Papoose. I liked "Alphabetical Slaughter" and some of the songs he did with NaS and Talib Kweli. Hopefully, his first album, The Nacirema Dream is coming out in May/June and Jive Records will stop delaying it. A fake tracklist for it was one of the best fake tracklistings I've seen for a hip-hop album.

In other news, Chester Bennington of Linkin Park did a song with G-Unit rapper Young Buck. It's called "Slow Your Roll" and it's pretty good. It's on Young Buck's album, Buck the World, which comes out on March 27th.

12. The Myst

A review of Year Zero from a guy I know on the Megadeth message board that went to the listening party last night:

13. SirLemming

14. RD!

RD! Never go see Dr. Acula

Bright Eyes is pretty hit-or-miss. I had completely written him off as whiny, untalented and pretentious (he's only 2 of these :]) but then he put out I'm Wide Awake Its Morning in 2005 and much to my surprise it was really damn good. I didn't like its more electronic counterpart (Digital Ash) which is cool because I think he's going to stick with the more folk oriented stuff.

So I'd give I'm Wide Awake its Morning a try and also the songs "Haligh, Haligh, A Lie, Haligh" (which is whiny as hell but its so oddly endearing), "Lover I don't Have to Love," and "Bowl of Oranges."

ALSO. GUYS THE NEW MODEST MOUSE (also you too Andrew Bird :]) IS COMING OUT IN 4 DAYS OH MY JESUS I AM SO EXCITED QUICK EVERYONE LETS GET MARRIED.

15. Stuckey

Stuckey Shutter Buggin'

Isn't there a song on MOP's album before WARRIORS featuring Jay-Z and Teflon that sampled "Eye of the Tiger" or is that another sample? If it's the same, Storch should've left it alone because that sample can't possibly be made to sound any iller.

Anyway, if Pap's album is $10 at Best Buy I might buy it, but I'm not sure why. Other than "Bloody War", "Underground King", the track with JR Writer and the track right after that on OMNIPOTENT CRIMINAL AUTHOR dude's not done much to seperate himself from the pack. His verse on "The Beast" or whatever it's called off RIGHT ABOUT NOW is alright, but dude's got no business on a track with Kweli.

Edit: That album title is horrible.
    Edit 2: I forgot about "Monopoly". That song has its moments.

16. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING
    Staff Member Moderator

No, not that one. The other famous one from Rocky I(the one where he's running up the steps).

As for Papoose, I'll admit he is hit or miss, but I love how his voice sounds similar to Big L. That and unlike some rappers, I like how he has emotion when he raps. Sometimes it sounds like he's screaming but, he usually keeps it under control.

Edit: Here is the link to the song: http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/audio/id.1567/title.papoose-victory-2007

The song is a little over three minutes. It's longer because Kay Slay feels the need to keep starting the song over and over again.

Another rapper I'm interested in is Saigon. However, his debut album, The Greatest Story Never Told keeps getting delayed. Come on Atlantic Records, promote him properly!

#56 Space Cadet, Mar 17, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2007
  17. Moto Pete

Moto Pete We Bare-ly Pete's

anybody hear anything about the new EL-P

18. Stuckey

Stuckey Shutter Buggin'

Mugen - That track does nothing to make me want to buy the album anymore than I already do. I'm not feeling the beat at all, but I'm glad Pap didn't try to switch things up. Still, if I see it for $10 I'll probably pick it up.

As for Saigon, I've not heard alot of his stuff but I've got more hope for his album than Pap's because he doesn't sound like a mixtape MC. That's assuming he ever releases his album. Dude's buzz completely died off and he never did anything more than WARNING SHOTS. He needs to use what little buzz he can get from ENTOURAGE (if he's even still on there) before he misses another chance. Dude seems intelligent but the music biz is killing him.

Moto Pete - The only tracks I've heard are "Flyentology" (on his MySpace) and "Smithereens" (if that's even on the album). "Flyentology" is dope but I remember nothing at all about "Smithereens". The reviews of the promo have all been great (if a obviously biased), but I'm waiting until Tuesday to hear anymore.

19. Zebi

Zebi Take off, eh!

I'm really looking forward to Rush's new album! They have the album's first single, "Far Cry", on the main page of their official site. I like the song; the chorus is catchy. :D It reminds me of songs from other albums, but I can't place it right now.

20. The Myst

I love that new song. I can't wait for this album. It definitely sounds to me like their 90's albums. Counterparts, Test For Echo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.