1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

This Month in Music (March)

Discussion in 'The Musiquarium' started by Zebi, Mar 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zebi

Zebi Take off, eh!

Welcome to March's "This Month In Music". :robin: Here Toon Zone members discuss music news, recent albums purchases, concerts, and more. To see a list of upcoming releases, check out Wikipedia's list of albums to be released in 2007 (thanks Michael24 for the link).

2. Stuckey

Stuckey Shutter Buggin'

I believe I'LL SLEEP WHEN YOU'RE DEAD comes out on the 20th. I will buy that. I will listen to that. I will come here and proclaim it the greatest album ever.

3. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I couldn't find a list of new releases at that link (I think it directed me somewhere else), so I had to check Wikipedia.

I thought I read a few months ago that Kelly Clarkson's third album was coming out March 13, but I guess it got delayed, especially since there's not even a new single yet. :confused:

4. Chrono1995

Chrono1995 Don't get any big ideas.

Lotsa good stuff coming out this month.

!!! - Myth Takes
    Black Milk - Popular Demand
    Andrew Bird - Armchair Apocrypha
    J Dilla - Ruff Draft (reissue)
    Panda Bear - Person Pitch
    Kieran Hebden & Steve Reid - Tongues
    Modest Mouse - We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank

Kinda on the fence about the new Air, Arcade Fire, RJD2, and Redman records, but I'll check 'em out anyway.

5. Moto Pete

Moto Pete We Bare-ly Pete's

don't forget that CHINESSE DEMOCRACY is SUPPOSE to come out

6. Zebi

Zebi Take off, eh!

Thanks for letting me know that Billboard link isn't working. Could you post the Wikipedia page, please?

7. The Myst

The Myst Truthiness for Springfield

Axl said March 6th but the band later announced that there's no confirmed release date as of now. Basically, a lame way of saying "We missed yet another deadline". That was the only out this month for me. Once we get to April and May though...

Black Sabbath - The Dio Years (April 3, 2007)
    Nine Inch Nails - Year Zero (April 17, 2007)
    Porcupine Tree - Fear Of A Blank Planet (April 2007)
    Black Sabbath - Live At Hammersmith Odeon (May 1, 2007)
    Rush - Snakes And Arrows (May 1, 2007)
    Megadeth - United Abominations (May 8, 2007)
    Ozzy Osbourne - Untitled (May 2007)

8. Noukon

Noukon Deep Blue

I'm most looking forward to June, really, since Dream Theater will be releasing their newest album, Systematic Chaos, on June 7th.

9. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

No problem. 2007 In Music :)

10. Stuckey

Stuckey Shutter Buggin'

Is he going to rap on that, have all guest MCs or is it an instrumental? If it's the first or last I might grab it.

Edit: Nevermind. I checked the tracklist on UGHH. I'm not a fan of any of the guests, so I'm not sure if I'll get it. But UGHH gives you the PRESSURE mixtape for free if you buy the album, so if I do get it I'll buy it from there.

11. Chrono1995

Chrono1995 Don't get any big ideas.

The guests are so-so (some good ones like Guilty Simpson and Slum Village, the rest are either okay or not very good), but if the beats are anything close to what they were on Broken Wax ("U's a Freak *****", especially) and Pressure, then I'll still be checking it out.

12. Zebi

Zebi Take off, eh!

Heard today that Alice Cooper has a new album, Along Came a Spider, which is tentatively due out in May - I can't wait! :D Check out Blabbermouth.net's article on this.

13. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

^Awesome! Didn't even know he was doing another one already. I liked Dirty Diamonds.

And I'm listening to Trash right now, too. :D

14. The Myst

I'm somewhat on the fence about this. By all accounts, it seems to be going in a Train Of Thought direction and I think that's easily their worst album. But I loved Octavarium so this could still be great.

15. The Myst

Also, as of today, you can listen to Megadeth's brand new song "Sleepwalker" on their website. It was previously only available to Fan Club members.

http://www.megadeth.com/slw/sleepwalker.mp3

At first, I thought it kicked a lot of ass. Then a friend pointed out to me that it's the exact same song as "Blackmail The Universe" from their last album. Now all I can think about when I listen to it is how it is the same song.

16. Zebi

Zebi Take off, eh!

I just listened to both songs. While I can see similarities between the two songs, they are different enough for me. At this point, I'd say that I find "Sleepwalker" to be the better of the two songs. :)

17. Noukon

Noukon Deep Blue

The early reports I've read on the album make it sound similar to Octavarium -- e.g., there's a lot of stylistic variance from track to track. I'm pretty stoked to hear it, at least, since even the worst DT has always been pretty listenable.

ToT gets a lot of credit from me for having "Stream of Consciousness" on it. You're right, though, it is pretty mundane overall by their standards.

18. The Myst

I think "Blackmail" is better personally but "Sleepwalker" is a good song. I like it. I just couldn't believe how similar it was after it was pointed out to me. There are some new things about it that I like. Like the opening. That opening is really awesome.

Yeah, I don't think ToT is really bad. It's just really boring to me in most places. But there isn't really any DT I find unlistenably bad either. So I'm cautiously hyped for the new album.

As for fan reports, I've only read one review thus far but I didn't really like it. He made some of the songs sound really good but others did seem to sound like he was describing ToT songs. But we'll see. It could be totally incredible. I know I'll be there to buy it the day it comes out, that's for sure.

I also just didn't really like the reviewer. He kept trashing bands that influenced DT throughout it. Like he would say a song sounded like a certain band and then would take a shot at them.

19. The Myst

It was announced today officially by Dave Mustaine himself (After some rumors surrounding an announcement of it on a French website) that "Gears Of War" will be the first single from Megadeth's United Abominations and the B-side will be a re-done version of Megadeth's classic "A Tout Le Monde" from their 1994 album Youthanasia, my personal favorite Megadeth album. It will be a duet with Cristina Scabbia from Lacuna Coil on vocals. It will also feature an extended solo by Glen Drover, leading out from Friedman's original solo which will apparently still be in the song, and the song is being sped up from the original version as they the tempos were turned down on the original version of Youthanasia.

As far as I can tell, based on what Dave said about Friedman's solo still being in there, they simply recorded new vocals and a new guitar solo and put them in over the original drum, bass, and guitar tracks. Although I'm not sure they're even using a new vocal track from Dave. They may just stick Cristina's vocals in with his old ones. It seems like a very lazy way to do it but it still sounds interesting and will be the only Megadeth song to feature three guitar players.

20. The Myst

More Megadeth news comes in daily as May approaches.

Today we got the track listing.

1. Sleepwalker
    2. Washington Is Next!
    3. Never Walk Alone
    4. United Abominations
    5. Gears Of War
    6. Blessed Are The Dead
    7. Play For Blood
    8. A Tout Le Monde (Set Me Free) - feat. Christina Scabbia
    9. Amerikhastan
    10. You're Dead
    11. Burnt Ice

Those are the American tracks. Dave also revealed that Megadeth's previously announced cover of "Out On The Tiles", originally by Led Zeppelin, will be the Japanese bonus track. Dave also revealed that they have three bonus tracks planned for use as B-sides. "Black Swan", "The Bodies Left Behind", and a "special live track".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.