1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

This Month in Music (March)

Discussion in 'The Musiquarium' started by Zebi, Feb 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Damien

Damien Watching

Less Than Jake just did a free show at my school. They were pretty good, and I liked the older ska stuff better than the new stuff, although I don't listen to them either way. I didn't stay the whole time. But they were cool.

2. RD!

RD! Never go see Dr. Acula

Holy ****.

When I was a kid, and I think like everyone else for a little while, I was in love with Flagpole Sitta. I even bought their cassette (Where Have All the Merry Makers Gone?) and I remember being so dissapointed by it.

Two years ago I started my big nostalgia kick and I pretty much decided Harvey Danger's song (and Nirvana's About a Girl unplugged) were the epitome of the 90's. So yesterday I'm in FYE and see Where Have All The Merry Makers Gone? used for $5. I bought it ecstatic because, "Hey! I owned this when I was a kid!"

So I gave it a listen today and I'm completely blown away by it. I'm terribly confused how I could have disliked this as a kid and honestly how this band just never went anywhere. It's certainly better than Weezer's Blue Album. It's angry, catchy, anthemic... Is it because Flagpole Sitta was really that good that any other singles wouldn't even compare?

3. SirLemming

SirLemming a playa in a world of NPCs

I've been contemplating Harvey Danger for a year or two after realizing that they're the ones who did that song. Because that really is an amazing song. Some day I'll get around to it.

Didn't they recently release an album as a download on their site? I forgot what happened with that.
    *checks HarveyDanger.com*
    Oh, now I remember. It was a BitTorrent for one week before the "regular" download was put up. And I think my BitTorrent was going whacko at the time.

4. Snapdad

Snapdad Hooch

More recent purchases:

Dead Kennedys - Plastic Surgery Disasters (Vinyl)
    Sausage - Riddles are Abound Tonight
    Tom Waits - Rain Dogs
    Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention - We're Only In It For The Money

5. NachoHat

NachoHat Counting down the hours

I've never heard that (or any of Harvey Danger's albums, aside from the newest one) album, but let's not be hasty here.

The new Liars is so amazing. So, so, so, so amazing.

6. RD!

RD! Never go see Dr. Acula

Granted, ...Merry Makers doesn't have an "Only in Dreams," but listening to both back to back it's just hard to see how Weezer went places while Harvey Danger didn't. Then again, when I say Weezer going places I guess that was really only they reincarnated into this ****** powerpop band.

...so.

7. Damien

Damien Watching

Every Friday night we have local bands play on campus, and this past week's band was pretty good. They're called RedBoy. Think heavy Jewel or really really toned down Kitty. Bought their c.d. for 5 bucks when it was really 10, so to make up for it, I'll just go ahead and recommend you look them up.

8. Mr. Pedro

Mr. Pedro Der Patton

Sadly, my joy with the DJ Shadow re-issue was short lived, as disc issues,

led me to attempt to replace, and then return it for store credit. So to compensate, I topped-up my cell phone account while scooping up Belle And Sebastian's If You're Feeling Sinister. There's just a certain charm about the album that's only accentuated by listening to it while strolling under a bright blue Floridian sky on a (relatively) cool day. ^^

9. Chrono1995

Chrono1995 Don't get any big ideas.

I haven't listened to Show Your Bones at all, even though I bought it this morning.

Why?

Two words: Ghostface. Fishscale.

10. Youko Recca

Youko Recca Retired

Word is bond, I recently made some purchases.

Ghostface- Fishscale

Murs & 9th Wonder- Murray's Revenge

El Da Sensei- The Unusual

Listening in that order too. Man, despite crudeness, gotta love Wu Tang. And it looks like Pitchfork gave it a 9.0 rating, so that's a good sign along with all the other reviews.

11. The Dork Knight

The Dork Knight The saddles do what now?

These past couple of days I picked up the following...

Nirvana - Nevermind
    Guns N' Roses - Unwanted Illusions (Bootleg)
    Beck - Mellow Gold
    Lynyrd Skynyrd - The Essential Lynyrd Skynyrd
    Rob Zombie - Educated Horses

12. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING
    Staff Member Moderator

Here's the Neilson Soundscan list for last week:

Also, here's an interview with Murs, which reveals on how he works with 9th Wonder and how the last verse on his new album was cut off: http://www.hiphopgame.com/index2.php3?page=murs2

13. Mittenz

Mittenz Loud.Electronic.Ferocious .

I saw the world famous DJ/producer, Ferry Corsten at the Avalon nightclub in Boston on St. Patrick's Day! The event was friggin' awesome! I was even lucky enough to shake hands with the guy and get my CD single to his new song, "Fire," signed! However, the sound system over there was dangerously loud. I had a ringing in my ear for around four days. Either than that, it was one kick-ass show! Here's a tracklist of what Ferry Corsten played:

Solarstone ft Jes - Like A Waterfall (ISOS4 Edit)
    Richard Duran - Make Me Scream
    Ferry Corsten - Galaxia
    Gareth Emery vs Jon O'Bir - No Way Back
    Re:Locate - Rogue
    Coburn - We Interrupt This Program (Joris van der Straten Remix)
    Ferry Corsten - Fire (Flashover Mix)
    Mode Hookers - Breathe (Sander Van Doorn Mix)
    Ferry Corsten - I Love You
    Ferry Corsten - Punk
    Ferry Corsten - Rock Your Body Rock

(Source: http://www.tranceaddict.com/forums)

14. Mr. Pedro

Mr. Pedro Der Patton

Mail delivery to close out the month:

-Mr. Bungle: Disco Volante and California.
    -The Stone Roses: S/T.

15. True Noir

True Noir Active Member

My favorite album of March '06 has been GLOBE's [maniac]. I was actually surprised that GLOBE came out with an album so quickly, but surprisingly (yet not) it's very very good.

[​IMG]

Everyone should go out and grab themselves a copy of Asian Kung-fu Generation's recent album [FAN CLUB]. It's delicious.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.