1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

This Month in Music (March)

Discussion in 'The Musiquarium' started by Zebi, Feb 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chrono1995

Chrono1995 Don't get any big ideas.

Speaking of awesomely produced albums with Deluxe Editions, apparently Beck's Odelay! is going to be getting the same treatment later this year to mark its ten-year anniversary. Sweet.

2. RD!

RD! Never go see Dr. Acula

So apparently this Wilco show I am dying to get tickets for has Ted Leo opening for them... I... really must get tickets for this show. It's in Rhode Island which luckily is not a far trip for me and I know people there I just don't know how to go about getting tickets for this show yet. =[[

3. TheMecca

Worm Quartet's "new" album, "Sumophobia 2..." (featuring redone tracks from his first album and EP, as well as other bonus tracks) was released a little while ago- I now own it.

4. Damien

Damien Watching

The concert this past St. Patrick's Day was cool. I forget the name of the first opener, but also opening were The Audition and Aiden, who were decent.
    I must say that my image of 30 Seconds to Mars was not what appeared on the stage. Granted, I don't watch music videos, so I didn't know about how they tend to wear black on their faces. Jared Leto also seemed a tad bit egotistical. However, he did a run upstairs and I was about 3 feet from him, which was cool. The guy next to me also got one of the drum sticks tossed up to him, and I got to hold it, so that was neat.
    Overall, it was alright. They played the two songs I was dying to hear, so I was satisfied.

Also picked up the Bloodhound Gang's new album. Great stuff. Holy smokes.

5. The Dork Knight

The Dork Knight The saddles do what now?

A couple of days ago I picked up All Over The World - The Very Best of Electric Light Orchestra and The Very Best of Deep Purple. Both are excellent CDs although I'm disappointed that Perfect Strangers wasn't included on the Deep Purple compilation.

6. randomguy

randomguy Came, liked Ike, and left.

Big music month for me, because these last few days were, of course, the annual SXSW music festival here in Austin. I covered it for The Daily Texan, so for the first time in my life I made good on my dream of free passes, baby!

Anyhow, um... it was awesome. Caught many a band and am struggling to remember the highlights. Some of the bigger names included Spoon, Okkervil River, Roseanne Cash, Texas governor-to-be Kinky Friedman, Sleater-Kinney, What Made Milwaukee Famous, Rodney Crowell and about a billion others I can't even remember because there was so much going on. Crazy few days, but lots of fun.

In other news, I am officially in love with KT Tunstall. Anybody here familar with her? Her album Eye to the Telescope has sold a bajillion copies in the UK and was just released here (it got up to #3 on iTunes). I know she was on The Today Show and her video for "Black Horse and the Cherry Tree" shows up a lot on late night VH1. At any rate, I caught her in an in-store at Waterloo Records and she was amazing. Great folk/rock/blues artist, and very cute and very charming. It should be illegal to be that sexy.

I also totally didn't get any schoolwork whatsoever done. Um... oops.

7. Baltofan

Baltofan Active Member

You can watch Bosnia Herchegovina's ballad for Eurovision Song Contest 2006, a song called 'Lejla', who are tragic story about a Bosnian Romeo & Juliet.
    There are also a background stories about Lejla, pics of the city Mostar, where the musicv video are located, and photos of the band Six 4 One from Switzerland.

http://www.eurobosniamp3.com/

8. Cassie Star

Cassie Star I have no gender.

You lucky bas... *bricked*

I would've done anything to go there, if only because Dir en grey was there. Now ya tell me that Rodney Crowell was there also? Dammit. He's quite good.

9. Chrono1995

So, I picked up the Gold Lion single by Yeah Yeah Yeahs, and it's good. Really good. A definitely step-up from the tightly controlled chaos but shrill-and-annoying vocals on Fever to Tell. It's definitely gotten me more excited about their new album Shake Your Bones than I thought I would be. I gotta recommend this single if you are near a Best Buy and have 99 cents to spare.

I'm off to pick up the new Liars, Loose Fur, and Murray's Revenge tomorrow.

10. atf487

atf487 come on feel the illinoise

Shake Your Bones is streamable at myspace.com. I like it a lot, but the current buzz on the cd is pretty negative.

The new Liars is fantastic, however.

11. RD!

I'll need to give it another go in the future. I listened to it at work and I fell asleep so... =[

12. Red

Red Hmm

I picked up Faktion's first album titled....Faktion. HIGHEST Recommendations. Awesome album. It came out today. Anybody who likes rock at all. This is a great album.

13. Chrono1995

God, Murray's Revenge kicks so much ass.

14. Mr. Pedro

Mr. Pedro Der Patton

I had no idea that this was even reissued, so it came as a total shock when I came across The Juliet Letters by Costello and The Brodsky Quartet. In any case, my plans to look into Belle & Sebastian and Miles Davis have been temporarily derailed.

15. Baltofan

Baltofan Active Member

16. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING
    Staff Member Moderator

What's your favorite songs from the album?

17. Chrono1995

It might take me a while to single out a favorite since the album is so smooth sounding and consistent the whole way through, but right now "Dark Skinned White Girls" and "Murray's Law" grab my attention the most.

18. RD!

Yarr the Loose Fur sits right below Destroyer and right above Flaming Lips. Oh quality!

19. Chrono1995

Arr, methinks "The Ruling Class" rules.

I specifically requested April 4th off of work simply because of At War with the Mystics. I guess you could call me a fan.

20. RD!

Why I agree! And uh.... "Wanted" is just what I wanted... HEY CHICKEN!!

I'm pretty sure Clap Your Hands Say Yeah has my favorite song of the year already. This b-side to In This Home On Ice, Cigarettes is fantastic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.