1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

This Month in Music (January)

Discussion in 'The Musiquarium' started by Zebi, Jan 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Myst

The Myst Truthiness for Springfield

*Stands aside as the lone rock/metal fan that reads this topic. Coughs.*

2. RD!

RD! Never go see Dr. Acula

Christ I don't want your germs I am trying to talk about MODERN INDIE ROCK but I don't know with you coughing.

Clap Your Hands Say Yeah!, 2005's second worst/best named band put out their second album (I don't think the actual album is out yet, mp3s are off of insound) and it's... man I don't even know. I think I gotta' give it more time. It's a lot more mature sounding, but it's a hell of a lot less fun than their first album. I have live recordings of them doing the songs "Some Loud Thunder", which sounds horrible on the album (recording wise, it sounds like it's done through a phone); and "Satan Said Dance" which is just so much more fun than the studio cut. So far my favorite song is "Love Song No. 7"

Uh... I already know the Shins is fantastic. I've not listened to the leak in like a month just so I'd still be excited for the album. The best way it's been described is "Saint Simon the album" which seems fairly accurate to me.

Just starting to get the Of Montreal ...Hissing Fuana want. I've avoided the leak because it leaked like... 4 months ago.

Modest Mouse's new song Dashboard is great, too.

3. SirLemming

SirLemming a playa in a world of NPCs

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE REUNITES FOR ONE MORE SHOW!

It's the truth; check it out. RATM will reunite for Coachella

However big or small a fan you are of them, that's hugely significant.

4. Marklar

Marklar RIP Laurel Aitken, 1927-2005

Anything that keeps Audioslave from playing is fine by me.

I wish Rage do a full tour, though. One of very few bands I'd be willing to see on an arena tour.

5. Stuckey

Stuckey Shutter Buggin'

Ok, so E&A isn't nearly as good as FIRST BORN. That's due to Abilities, though. Eyedea is still dope even with the lackluster production.

I might go see RATM if they came to Houston. We were going to go see them in Austin with Wu, but then RATM and half of Wu cancelled.

6. Chrono1995

Chrono1995 Don't get any big ideas.

No work or school today, so I ran down to the record store soon as it opened. Here's what I scooped up:

Deerhoof - Friend Opportunity
    The Shins - Wincing the Night Away
    Menomena - Friend or Foe
    Of Montreal - ...Hissing Fauna

Didn't really care too much about CYHSY when they first dropped, so I'm gonna hold off on it for a while and see what my friends think of it. As for the rest of the records I scooped up, I'm gonna have to get back to you on them later today.

7. Mr. Pedro

Mr. Pedro Der Patton

Scooped up the following:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Chrono1995

The new Apples in Stereo was on sale early at my record shop, so I picked that up as well.

9. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, the title for the new Wu-Tang Clan has been revealed, and it's called 8 Diagrams. It's supposed to come out in the Summer and some verses from ODB will be used. Also, the song "Life Changes" will be a tribute track to the late rapper.

10. NachoHat

NachoHat Counting down the hours

You were pretty much right. Wu-Tang is awesome.

New Of Montreal is the raddest record of the year, thus far. Their live show only cements that in my mind. They've considerably raised an already high bar.

New Menomena is also really, really awesome. I still need to absorb it a bit more, though.

New Shins is boooooooooooooooring. With the exception of, say, four songs, nothing that made them interesting in the past is present.

Still not sure how I feel about the new Deerhoof, Bloc Party, and CYHSY. Actually, I'm going go out there and say I like the new Deerhoof. I'm not sure if I've even listened to all the new Bloc Party and CYHSY to be honest. Bloc Party seems...different and I can't decide whether it's in a good way or not. CYHSY seems about on par with their first effort, except that "Satan Said Dance" is probably their best song.

11. Condiment King

Condiment King custom user title

Of what I've heard so far this year: Arcade Fire > Shins > Of Montreal > CYHSY

I think Shins just takes a little getting used to, outside of a song like "Phantom Limb", nothing really grabs you at first. But after awhile, I've realized its got some awesome songs like "Australia", "Sleeping Lessons", and "Split Needles".

Of Montreal is on par with Of Montreal goodness. Arcade Fire is amazing.

12. Chrono1995

Poor Shins. They spend so much time changing lives with their new slangs and their young pilgrims anything else they put out is bound to come up short. Ironically, it's pretty much the exact opposite for me. I really like the new Shins record. For some reason, outside of "Saint Simon", "Pink Bullets", and "Those to Come", I was never much of a Chutes Too Narrow fan (which no one understood). I have no idea why either, except maybe I just found it a little too boring. Oh, Inverted World, though, I consider to be a masterpiece (which, also, no one understood).

So, considering the new album has more in common with their first than their second, I'm really digging it. "Sleeping Lessons", "Australia", "Red Rabbits", "Sea Legs", and "A Comet Appears" are fantastic. Hell, I even like "Pam Berry."

The new Deerhoof and Of Montreal, though, have been sucking up all of my time. They kick loads of ass, plain and simple. I think I've heard those two albums more than anything else I've listened to this week put together. Those two albums are the best things to come out so far this year. I think I've played the new Apples in Stereo once, and I barely touched the new Menomena (though I liked both from what I heard).

Maybe it was because in between the crazy spazziness of Deerhoof and the sublime pop of Of Montreal, I also discovered Spank Rock, one of the most underrated hip-hop acts of 2006.

This has been a crazy month for music. 28 days in and there's already at least four great records out.

13. NachoHat

You know what's funny? Those are the only songs on the album I like. I think "Australia" may be the Shins second best song, right behind "So Says I." "Split Needles" comes off as particularly special to me, as it seems like it really captured the sound they were going for on the record, while the majority of the album just sort of drags along.

I can definitely see where fans of Oh, Inverted World would be a bigger fan of Wincing than fans of Chutes would be. Me, I'm a Chutes man. I like Inverted a lot, too, but it never hit me the way Chutes did. To me, Wincing just sounds like a poor man's Inverted and, well, I'm just not into that. However, I am, apparently, totally into italics.

Oh and, yeah, the new Arcade Fire is brilliant. Totally lives up to Funeral.

I appear to also be catching up on the esteemed genre of "Pitchfork hyped electronica records" aka I've been listening to The Knife and Junior Boys and I dig them. Silent Shout took me some time to warm up to, though. Record of the year? Hell no, but awfully good on its own terms.

14. Damien

Damien Watching

So the Red Hot Chili Peppers concert was pretty sweet.

Gnarles Barkley opened, which was okay. They have only one hit, and they should've opened with that to draw everyone in, instead of playing "Another Brick in the Wall" and a string of songs and then, finally, the song the whole crowd knows.

The Chili Peppers opened with a few hits and encored with a couple old goodies, but the whole middle, with the exception of "By the Way" and "Californication," was stuff from the new album I still haven't listened to yet. It would've been better if the hits were spread out and there had been more of them, specifically the old stuff. "Suck My Kiss?" "Higher Ground?" "Soul to Squeeze?" None of that. They didn't even play "Tell Me Baby" (not old, but still...).
    Sweet, though, over all. They were the last band I really wanted to see, and I've seen them now. I don't feel as immortal as I used to.

15. NachoHat

How dare they attempt to be more than a one hit wonder. How dare they.

If you have one big hit, playing it as soon as you start is the easiest way to make a large portion of your audience ignore the rest of your set.

16. RD!

I think Chutes is magical. Not to tread into hyperbole (I've already called the new album fantastic, when it's really just really good and I'm excited to have new Shins) but it's such a perfect album.

Oh Inverted World is really good pop and I think Wincing the Night Away is a little better than it. I really don't mind that they did something darker and more ...October sounding album to their... typical July? There are so many Shin's imitators out there right now, a slight sound modification couldn't hurt.

17. Moto Pete

Moto Pete We Bare-ly Pete's

Rza Presents: Afro Samurai Soundtrack and Norah Jones " Not To Late"

1st two Records i bought this year

18. The Myst

The Myst Truthiness for Springfield

Yeah, you gotta build up to it.

Since "Another Brick In The Wall" was mentioned, take Pink Floyd for instance. They didn't play "Another Brick In The Wall" at the start of their set even though it was a #1 song and one of their biggest hits. They played other stuff and made the audience wait. And then in the middle, after waiting to hear, it the crowd erupted when the sound of the helicopter ripped through the PA. And then they saved three of their other biggest hits, "Comfortably Numb", "Wish You Were Here", and "Run Like Hell" for the encore.

19. RD!

Hmm. With Modest Mouse, The Shins, Of Montreal, Wilco, Ted Leo and Andrew Bird releasing albums this year I think nearly every band in my favorites list is doing something. I'm sure there'll be a new Mountain Goats.

I guess Pavement would be wishful thinking.

20. Chrono1995

...and then there's the new Radiohead, Spoon, SFA, Madvillain and Wu-Tang. 2007 is gonna rock.

By the way, the new Andrew Bird is excellent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.